Yet another San Diego Charger concept...

oldschoolvikings

So, it seems to be some sort of rite a passage on the CCSLC Concepts board to do a San Diego Charger concept. I’ve done plenty through the years, so I thought I’d post one.

Like a lot of you, I’ve tried before to reconcile the navy blue and the powder blue eras, and never been especially happy with the results. Mine looked more or less like the current Charger uniform… an uncomfortable shoehorn of styles in an attempt to please everybody. Finally, I just said screw it… dump the navy altogether… it really isn’t worth it.

What I’ve ended up with here is a bit of a new and old blend. Keep the current sleeve treatment and more active pants’ bolts, but otherwise simplify as much as possible. The navy is gone altogether. The main thing that freed me up was to forget about the whole idea of having the bolts be identical. Again, it just wasn’t worth it, having to bend over backward to outline and double outline the bolts just to keep some vague sense of continuity. In the 60’s and70’s uniforms, the bolt would be gold on white or blue, and white on gold, and it still seemed to hang together really well, in my opinion.

Anyway, have a look. C and C appreciated.

CHRGR1_zps7660fc75.png

From what it seems on this board is that it would make everybody happy happy happy (-Phil Robertson), and I think I speak for everyone, if the chargers went back to the 60's/70's look and just stayed with it for the next 50+ years ^_^ As for the concept, honestly, they all look the same to me nowadays. I like the yellow pants. This set is what they should be wearing. Good work.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I like the yellow pants and ditching the navy, but I think the Chargers look better with the tv numbers on the sleeves and the bolts facing down. Like so:

t5q1jX.jpg

Yeah, I would, too, but not on any of Nike's current jersey templates. As long as we're stuck with Nike's Super-Ninja-War-Hero (T.M.) template, I think the current sleeve treatment is the best we can do.

Overall this is really nice. The only two gripes I have are: 1. yellow pants will never work with a white helmet and 2. That number font looks better suited to the Buccaneers. It doesn't scream Chargers to me

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

1. yellow pants will never work with a white helmet

Really? I think so and beautifully.

lance_alworth_1968_10_01.jpg

I should have been more specific. White helmet-blue jersey-yellow pants is seriously unbalanced. You're right, it works with a white jersey however.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

For the blue pants, you could make the socks all yellow, just because the double stripe doesn't appear anywhere on the uniform. I think the yellow pants would work, but if they wore them only with the away jersey. Finally, like Fox said, the font says buccaneers more than chargers. I'd either go block o go with the current font. Other than that this is really cool.

spacer.png

I'm not in love with my font here, either. It's just one I found and used on a concept a few years ago, and adapted here because it felt vaguely "chargery" to me... not sure what makes me think that. I really just hate their current font. A lot.

Ideally, if I was running things, I'd want a new custom font. I'd hire a dozen talented designers, run through hundreds of samples, insult my underlings, occasionally yell, "MAKE IT SO!", and come up with something brand new.

By the way, I like the unbalanced look of white over light blue over gold, for some reason. Don't like it when the Titans do it, but I did like it for the Chargers.

san_diego_chargers_uniform.jpg

I also like it for the Boston Breakers, white over blue over silver... maybe its the light blue that just works for me...

bjordan2.jpg

Ideally, if I was running things, I'd want a new custom font. I'd hire a dozen talented designers, run through hundreds of samples, insult my underlings, occasionally yell, "MAKE IT SO!", and come up with something brand new.

Hahaha. I probably would do.

Regarding th picture you showed, I think the yellow numbers make the yellow pants work. Just ties it together.

spacer.png

Hahaha. I probably would do.

Regarding th picture you showed, I think the yellow numbers make the yellow pants work. Just ties it together.

Hmm, maybe. But with the yellow/gold numbers, you're pretty much forced to wear gold pants all the time... the white would then look out of place.

For the blue pants, you could make the socks all yellow, just because the double stripe doesn't appear anywhere on the uniform.

That's true, but I just have trouble picturing a yellow sock. I keep thinking about the Lions' one season experiment with silver socks, and how weird that looked. My thought with these socks is that it would be like the Patriots 3 stripe socks. For that matter, the Chargers themselves have a history of socks with somewhat out of place socks.

628x471.jpg

Archived