Seattle NHL Project

Del Campo

I've started a new branding project for a possible NHL team in Seattle. Here is the initial work to start.

• I went with the classic Sonics color scheme since it's not used by any NHL teams and instantly connects to the Seattle area. Let me know if I'm wrong on this, but I think it's the way to go.

• I wanted a strong "S" logo to carry the team identity because, again, no other team can own the "S"

• I haven't landed on a team nickname yet, but the concept reflects themes of "speed" "flight" "sky" "adventure" "innovation" "exploration" and "weightlessness". Any ideas for nicknames that convey this?

• The logo is inspired by historical automobile hood ornaments that used dramatic wing designs to convey speed and performance during the 30's, 40's and 50's.

• The uniforms are in the very early stage of design. I would love some ideas for uniform options too, please.

SEATTLE.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very good start. One suggestion for the logo: it seems a little similar to the Blues logo...I would flip the logo around and have the parts of the 's' come out of the bottom half of the logo instead of the top half. But this really is a great concept so far, I will follow this thread to see where it goes.

Also, where did you find that player template that you are using? Is it a .psd?

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

Logo is too similar to the Blues right now.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I was originally thinking calling them the Aeronauts. But do you guys think it's better to stick to the Metropolitans? I agree the wing design is similar to the Blues, so maybe focusing on a Mets concept will bring more originality.

This would be the league's 4th winged logo so I'm not sure if you want to reconsider the direction this is going in. Pacific northwest sports teams benefit greatly from being able to draw from local Native American influences and I would encourage you to try something more along those lines instead. So far your color pallet is nice though the green and gold may remind me of the Stars some, and your template is clean. I think you have the potential to make something great and a little more original.

If you want to try a different color combo I think Pacific Blue and Brown would look fantastic

Midway.png

I like that you use the same colors as the Sonics but I would imagine the Seattle market fans would want to see a different color scheme. If so, maybe mix in some of the Northwest blue and greens (although I like the green and yellow myself).

The only problem I have with Metros is that it's fairly similar to Mets, sure beats totems though.

I like the simplistic design although I will agree that it may look to similar to the Blues. Other than that, excellent job!

This is neat.

On the mark, try to experiment with more strokes and borders as opposed to just having a yellow outline on the outer edge. It would help make this look less generic which I think is the biggest issue. The lines on the top half are too flat; add some dimension and be sure to have their shape tie to the whatever name you end up choosing. Deco hood ornaments are a great reference point to use in this case, imo.

This would be the league's 4th winged logo so I'm not sure if you want to reconsider the direction this is going in. Pacific northwest sports teams benefit greatly from being able to draw from local Native American influences and I would encourage you to try something more along those lines instead. So far your color pallet is nice though the green and gold may remind me of the Stars some, and your template is clean. I think you have the potential to make something great and a little more original.

If you want to try a different color combo I think Pacific Blue and Brown would look fantastic

Blues

Flyers

???

Blues

Flyers

???

The other being the Red Wings. So there'd be 4: St. Louis, Philadelphia, Detroit, and then Seattle

scarvessmall_zpsc4c8e942.png

Blues

Flyers

???

The other being the Red Wings. So there'd be 4: St. Louis, Philadelphia, Detroit, and then Seattle

Sorry for the brain cramp!

I think the colour scheme works, but the logo and striping definitely needs improvement. Like its been said, we don't need another winged logo in the NHL, and the stripes are very generic. Plus having them only around the elbow leaves the rest of the jersey looking quite plain.

Seattle Metropolitans is probably your safest bet.

For the Shoulder patch, maybe an "s" wraping around the Space Needle? Too much? haha...

Dallas is mainly going green next year with white and most likely keeping some gold. Vancouver has some green in there logos and uniforms as well. Since its so close to Vancouver as well, it could pose as a problem. I think a mainly Gold jersey with Green arms and stripping would be most appropriate. I could quickly whip up a simple design if it helps.

Seattle Metropolitans is probably your safest bet.

For the Shoulder patch, maybe an "s" wraping around the Space Needle? Too much? haha...

Dallas is mainly going green next year with white and most likely keeping some gold. Vancouver has some green in there logos and uniforms as well. Since its so close to Vancouver as well, it could pose as a problem. I think a mainly Gold jersey with Green arms and stripping would be most appropriate. I could quickly whip up a simple design if it helps.

Nashville already has the gold jersey schtick. The league is so devoid of green I wouldn't mind seeing Seattle wearing it despite the proximity to Vancouver. As long as they don't go Blue-Green like the other Seattle teams.

Archived