Rare team matchups

On October 2, 2016 at 8:09 PM, dont care said:

how is that even allowed, its not like baseball where the colors couldn't possible give confusion to the players these guys are flying all over the ice i can bet an unusually high amount of turnovers were in this game.

It's not allowed, was a mistake. Game was in London, Ontario and Florida was the designated home team but packed for a traditional road trip. 

Don't know if it's true, but a friend of mine with the Panthers said that a member of their equipment team has a brother who is with Dallas's equipment team, giving the entire thing another potential comedy level. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

dec-1995-linebacker-bryan-schwartz-of-th

The original Browns and first year Jaguars played twice before the Browns moved to Baltimore. Both teams looked slightly different the next time they played in 1999. The photo above is actually from the last game the Browns ever played as the original Cleveland Browns. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

Since the Leafs were mentioned above, I just thought of this match-up...

9041759.jpg

This is the first game that the Old leafs road sweater met the Ducks new alt. It's also the last... 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 9/28/2016 at 11:16 PM, johnnysama said:

SamIam2.jpg

Only one pic, but in the 1995-96 season, the original Minnesota Timberwolves getup met the new Seattle Supersonics (pictured here) uni/logo set, and the first-year Vancouver Grizzlies and Toronto Raptors. I do not have any pics for the other two matchups.

Beautiful matchup. And I think it got even better after Minnesota changed.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• 1 month later...

^ Man, the grass at Foxboro Stadium looks crappy. It looks more suited for cattle ranching!

carolina-steelers-1996.jpg

From 1996, the only time the Carolina Panthers met the classic Pittsburgh Steelers with their block numerals/names; they oughta bring that style back, on that note.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/oct-1997-defensive-back-thomas-smith-of-the-buffalo-bills-tackles-picture-id1793258

And, the next year, the new Nike-engineered Denver Broncos met the Jim Kelly-era Buffalo Bills uniform set for the only time.

• Like 1

UBwef0L.png

On December 23, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Michael Bolton said:

1997: The only time the 80s-to-late-90s Jets matched up with the brand new pewter Buccaneers (the year I became a Bucs fan.)

244531.jpg

Now that's one I wouldn't have expected. Seems like two completely separate and distinct eras. 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2016 at 7:55 PM, johnnysama said:

^ Actually, the Ducks met the Bruins for the first time on October 15, 1993, and made their only trek to the Old Boston Garden on March 23, 1994, so that above uniform set did see the white jersey that one time; I have no pics from that latter matchup.

The same can be said of this matchup:

72496360-rightwinger-peter-douris-of-the

These two uniform sets only coincided for two games in February 1994; the first-year Mighty Ducks and Quebec Nordiques.

One more rare one: The first-year Colorado Avalanche (successors to the Nordiques) met the Winnipeg Jets 1.0 for four games during the 1995-96 season, and for those four games only. No pics, yet.

We'll actually twice they met in preseason in 94 when the power went out at the Pond lol