Rare team matchups

5 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

At the beginning of this clip- Dominique Wilkins NOT in the Pacman Atlanta Hawks jersey (His first dunk was in the early 80s uni)

Good catch! The Hawks only wore that uni for the opening game of the '83 season, switching to the Pac-Man unis for the next game against Boston (no idea why they wore the old unis for a game, maybe the new ones weren't ready yet?).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Discogod said:

Good catch! The Hawks only wore that uni for the opening game of the '83 season, switching to the Pac-Man unis for the next game against Boston (no idea why they wore the old unis for a game, maybe the new ones weren't ready yet?).

Fascinating. 

And, aren't those the Pistons' silver jerseys too?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 1/13/2017 at 11:28 PM, johnnysama said:

7403--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg?itok=WHhZIT

The first photo is from 2000, the only matchup between the current Patriots (their first year in that style) and the pre-black Detroit Lions.

Bradyturkey.jpg

And this one-off occurred on Thanksgiving 2002, with both teams wearing their throwback uniforms (incidentally, this was the last season before the Detroit Lions incorporated black in their color palette).

The 2002 game wasn't a one-off. Both teams brought the throwbacks back eight years later, also on Thanksgiving.

pats2.jpg

This also means that "current Patriots vs. black-era Lions" is a hidden rare matchup, because it has never happened in Detroit in the regular season. Preseason photo from 2011:

5504046.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

The NHL needs more green. 

How about....

Devils in their throwbacks vs the Wild

mn%20green%20goalie_zpsj8vngiaj.jpg

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)