Rare team matchups

On 1/17/2017 at 5:28 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

If we're dealing with Giants-Chargers matchups, then let's go to 1975 at Shea Stadium (the Giants' only year of calling that park home).

giants-chargers-1975-1.jpg

giants-chargers-1975-2.jpg

The Giants wore that beautiful uniform for only one season; so every game they played that year constituted a rare matchup.  And I would submit that anyone who fails to recognise that this is the Giants' best look ever is out of his/her bloody mind.

giants-chargers-1975-4.jpg

All of these shots come from This Week in Pro Football for week 7 of 1975.

I'll go you one better

Giants-Chargers wk 8, 1971 season at Yankee Stadium

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 4.01.23 PM.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 10:22 AM, Sweetness said:

I searched this thread and I don't believe this has been mentioned before.

02-10 Bills and 97-03 Bengals sets. Only met twice (2002 and 2003). Both in Buffalo. Bengals changed in 2004 to their current crappy set. 

Image result for 2002 bills bengals

Image result for 2003 bills bengals

I'd love to know what the designers of those Bills uniforms was thinking. None of the stripes match and there's no coherent idea.

By far, the worst uniform in modern NFL history.

• Like 2

None of the striping matched because they kept wearing monochrome when those uniforms were intended to be worn with contrasting pants. They only really wore them as intended in the first season. If worn as intended they would still have been bad, but probably not 'undisputed worst uniform in the NFL' terrible 

3f6dd944d6c9a85e7465cf052f21e4cd.jpg

drew_bledsoe_photofile.jpg

• Like 4
07Giants.pngnyy.png

1 hour ago, anythinglogos said:

None of the striping matched because they kept wearing monochrome when those uniforms were intended to be worn with contrasting pants. They only really wore them as intended in the first season. If worn as intended they would still have been bad, but probably not 'undisputed worst uniform in the NFL' terrible 

I actually kind of liked the road jersey, with the royal blue numbers and navy shoulder yoke. Could've done without side panels. This set had some potential, but it was too busy (thanks, early-2000s!), too dark (thanks, early-2000s!), and badly executed (thanks, Bills!).

How's this for an unpopular opinion, though (different thread, I know): even this red helmet, with its forced inclusion of nickel in the striping, was better than their standing buffalo helmet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, anythinglogos said:

Even then, things didn't match entirely. The piping was different widths on the jersey and pants.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 9:33 PM, insert name said:

Now here's something I never knew existed until now. It was only used during the preseason in 1978. 

I mocked up something similar in Madden. Used these helmets with the current white set and it looked really good. 

• Like 3

I think a lot of the badness with the nuBills was going halfway. How many other teams change their color scheme without changing their logo at all? I always joke, "But look at those pants!", but I think the addition of "nickel" actually could look really nice at times. I was looking at that Bills helmet in a museum-- yes, that Bills helmet is in a museum somewhere-- and the stripe looks very pleasant by itself, but it doesn't match the rest of the helmet. The pants look good. The double blue doesn't work, though. The jerseys were probably doomed by the piping and the weird yoke, anyway, but they would have been better if they weren't half stuck in the past. The logo probably could have had a Seahawks-like update and recolor.

And of course, changing to something similar to what the Patriots had just changed to ended up being like the mouse dressing up like the cat.

• Like 1

The original Memphis Grizzlies uniforms after the move from Vancouver were involved in plenty of rare matchups:

2001-02 (First year for those Grizz, last year for the opponent's unis)

AP02032502969.jpgAP02021704619.jpgAP01102402828.jpg

2003-04 (Last year for the Grizz unis, first year for opponents unis)

AP04020905402.jpgRockets v Grizzlies : News PhotoCavaliers v Grizzlies : News Photo

Also:

Heat v Grizzlies : News Photo

Only time those Grizzlies uniforms played the red alternate Heat unis (In 2001-02 and 2002-03, they played at the Pyramid in Miami's normal black jerseys)

• Like 2

I liked those Grizzlies colors, but the side panels always bothered me.

This side was fine. The striping from the jerseys continues on the shorts. Makes sense. 

gasol-griz.jpg

But this side

1723657.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=133BFC9

What's going on here? Should've either not had a side panel on that side of the jersey, asymmetry isn't uncommon in the NBA, or have a matching stripe on that side of the shorts. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I liked those Grizzlies colors, but the side panels always bothered me.

This side was fine. The striping from the jerseys continues on the shorts. Makes sense. 

gasol-griz.jpg

But this side

1723657.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=133BFC9

What's going on here? Should've either not had a side panel on that side of the jersey, asymmetry isn't uncommon in the NBA, or have a matching stripe on that side of the shorts. 

Bothered me as well. I like asymmetry in the 90s, but you gotta do it right. 

• Like 1

Go A's!