nash61

Rare team matchups

Jets and Skins circa 1978...

quarterback-matt-robinson-of-the-new-yor

I think a lot of the badness with the nuBills was going halfway. How many other teams change their color scheme without changing their logo at all? I always joke, "But look at those pants!", but I think the addition of "nickel" actually could look really nice at times. I was looking at that Bills helmet in a museum-- yes, that Bills helmet is in a museum somewhere-- and the stripe looks very pleasant by itself, but it doesn't match the rest of the helmet. The pants look good. The double blue doesn't work, though. The jerseys were probably doomed by the piping and the weird yoke, anyway, but they would have been better if they weren't half stuck in the past. The logo probably could have had a Seahawks-like update and recolor.

And of course, changing to something similar to what the Patriots had just changed to ended up being like the mouse dressing up like the cat.

The original Memphis Grizzlies uniforms after the move from Vancouver were involved in plenty of rare matchups:

2001-02 (First year for those Grizz, last year for the opponent's unis)

AP02032502969.jpgAP02021704619.jpgAP01102402828.jpg

2003-04 (Last year for the Grizz unis, first year for opponents unis)

AP04020905402.jpgRockets v Grizzlies : News PhotoCavaliers v Grizzlies : News Photo

Also:

Heat v Grizzlies : News Photo

Only time those Grizzlies uniforms played the red alternate Heat unis (In 2001-02 and 2002-03, they played at the Pyramid in Miami's normal black jerseys)

I liked those Grizzlies colors, but the side panels always bothered me.

This side was fine. The striping from the jerseys continues on the shorts. Makes sense. 

gasol-griz.jpg

But this side

1723657.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=133BFC9

What's going on here? Should've either not had a side panel on that side of the jersey, asymmetry isn't uncommon in the NBA, or have a matching stripe on that side of the shorts. 

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I liked those Grizzlies colors, but the side panels always bothered me.

This side was fine. The striping from the jerseys continues on the shorts. Makes sense. 

gasol-griz.jpg

But this side

1723657.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=133BFC9

What's going on here? Should've either not had a side panel on that side of the jersey, asymmetry isn't uncommon in the NBA, or have a matching stripe on that side of the shorts. 

Bothered me as well. I like asymmetry in the 90s, but you gotta do it right. 

Found a bizarre color v color NHL match up between the Kings and the original Winnipeg Jets from either 1988-89 or 1989-90. The game looks like it was at the Forum, so the Kings should have been in white. Anyone know anything about this?

1988 Black vs 1980 Blue CvC.jpg

On Monday, March 06, 2017 at 0:37 AM, SabresRule7361 said:

AP02032502969.jpgAP02021704619.jpgAP01102402828.jpg

To be honest,I liked the red font Blazers unis more then the black font unis,for some reason.

7 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Lakers_Grizzlies_200304.jpg

Only 1 time did this matchup happened: Those unis coincided for four seasons, but only one time did Memphis play at STAPLES on a Sunday

And the Lakers are wearing their white unis at home

This was the last year for the Whalers, and the first for those Oilers. That season their home jersey had a shoulder yoke which only lasted one season.

58E38C5D-F57D-4651-B425-8C4B72E7517C.jpg

I haven't seen a minor league one on here, so I may as well do it.

With the Aces announce folding next year, that makes this the only time the stupid "Thor's hammer" Thunder face Alaska at home.

IMG_1327.JPG

On 6/2/2013 at 0:19 AM, sportsfan0518 said:

2002 Bengals vs. Texans

Year before the Bengals changed to their current unis.

westbrooktd_zoom.jpg

I was at this game -- sat way in the upper deck in the corner of an end zone. Bengals were winless coming into this game, but they beat the crap out of the Texans.

Here are two NBA uniform matchups that only occurred for one season (1995-96):

joe-dumars-of-the-detroit-pistons-drives-the-ball-past-greg-anthony-picture-id492953007

hqdefault.jpg

And here is a uniform matchup that only occurred during the 1994-95 season, and even rarer with one of them being an alt that literally only existed for that season:

bobby-phills-drives-levyjpg-02c72dddde8a88a4.jpg

1 hour ago, SCalderwood said:

Here are two NBA uniform matchups that only occurred for one season (1995-96):

joe-dumars-of-the-detroit-pistons-drives-the-ball-past-greg-anthony-picture-id492953007

It's really odd to see the Bad Boy-era jerseys next to the Grizzlies. So odd.

25 minutes ago, kimball said:

It's really odd to see the Bad Boy-era jerseys next to the Grizzlies. So odd.

It's like foreshadowing of what was to come for Detroit.