Rare team matchups

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

Interleague play has been around since 1997, so at this point, I believe every MLB team has played the other at least once.

I believe you're right, but I want to say in just the past couple years there was a team that visited an older ballpark for the first time in their history. Was it maybe the Rays going to Dodger Stadium for the first time? Something like that.

ClAFLDa.png

On 5/13/2017 at 9:28 PM, Michael Bolton said:

I believe you're right, but I want to say in just the past couple years there was a team that visited an older ballpark for the first time in their history. Was it maybe the Rays going to Dodger Stadium for the first time? Something like that.

That was one of the last ones, but the most recent and overall last one was Padres at Blue Jays last year

• Like 2

IMG_0428.thumb.JPG.21265f6734f2a0cfa0784198a862c688.JPG

This is the only time this match-up happened (November 24, 2014). Pittsburgh never played the Leafs in these jerseys the following year and the Leafs changed this past year. The Penguins changed their uniforms back in the 1990s before Toronto updated their look to this. 

• 1 month later...

Here's a slightly different take on this topic. 14 years ago, the 2003 NBA Draft occurred. Aside from the legendary draft class (and equally legendary draft bust at #2 overall), take a look at the logo overlaps here:

19424475_1362950197088117_37486562112689

2003 marked the debut of the Cavaliers' logo seen there, the debut of the Nuggets' new double blue/gold color scheme, while it was the second-to-last season of the horse's head in Detroit. Seeing the horse's head wedged in between those two logos really provides for a clash of eras.

The Raptors' logo contributes to that as well - while it would linger around for five more seasons in those colors (looking ever more dated by the year), it's an archetypal 90's logo next to two logos very associated with the 2000s.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingiy rare:

AP03112302345.jpg?

These Lions and Vikings uniforms only coincided 3 years and only 6 such games

Not only was that rare, but also their 2003 meeting here was the last time the Metrodome had astroturf as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Surprisingiy rare:

AP03112302345.jpg?

These Lions and Vikings uniforms only coincided 3 years and only 6 such games

Not only was that rare, but also their 2003 meeting here was the last time the Metrodome had astroturf as well.

I wouldn't consider 6 games with it being the equivalent of almost half of a regular season worth of games as being rare

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...