Rare team matchups

Here's a really rare uniform matchup.

tampa-bay-shortstop-julio-lugo-slides-un

This picture is from 6/15/05, which was the series finale of a 3-game series of MIL @ TB.  This series was the only time the Brewers in their current look ever played the Devil Rays in their green/black look.  TB never played at MIL during the 7 years that these uniforms overlapped so the home-away reverse of this is a "matchup that never happened," which I find kind of surprising, even with it being an interleague matchup.

Sidenote, Hideo Nomo pitched for the Devil Rays in this game and earned his 200th career victory, I guess I wasn't following the league closely that year because I definitely don't recall Hideo Nomo ever pitching for Tampa Bay.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ravens8.jpg

The final week of the 1999 NFL regular season (played January 3, 2000) featured the lone matchup between the 'huge-shoulder' Flying Elvis Patriots and the current 'raven head' helmet Ravens (although the team changed its jersey sleeve patches the next year).

• Like 4

UBwef0L.png

On 8/17/2017 at 7:15 PM, VikWings said:

That was a really nice look. I love the jumping tiger on the sleeve too. Used to have a Peter Warrick (lol) jersey like that as a kid. The jumping tiger and bengal head are so much better than that stupid B.

Yes! I don't own a Bengals jersey from that era, but it was the best looking. I might have to go scour eBay for one now haha. No idea why the brought in the B. Wasn't needed at all and is a huge downgrade from what they used to have.

• Like 3

Every Lions-Jaguars matchup in history has been rare.

Lone matchup between previous Lions set and Jaguars current

jaguars-lions-football-ezekiel-ansah-bla

Lone matchup between Lions previous and Jaguars previous

940x.jpg

Throwbacks vs Jags last good uni's

Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Detroit+Lions+Y0e

Both 2000s sets meet for the only time

temp2004-lions-jags-tbt4-110816--nfl_mez

One year blue pants Lions meet the Jags

Original Jags and Standard 90s Lions

• Like 7

On 11/24/2017 at 2:48 PM, johnnysama said:

troy-brown-adam-vinatieri-and-lovett-pur

From 1997, the only time the "2nd-generation" Vikings (introduced in 1996) met the "Big Flying Elvis" shouldered Patriots. The Patriots would turn to their current look when the two teams next met in 2000.

Notice Adam Vinatieri stumbling after a failed attempt to tackle the ballcarrier. It's downright amazeballs that he's still playing after all this time.

• Like 6

On 11/24/2017 at 2:48 PM, johnnysama said:

troy-brown-adam-vinatieri-and-lovett-pur

From 1997, the only time the "2nd-generation" Vikings (introduced in 1996) met the "Big Flying Elvis" shouldered Patriots. The Patriots would turn to their current look when the two teams next met in 2000.

1997 was the only year the shouldered Patriots played the NFC Central.

In addition to the Vikings, the shouldered Patriots only met the Bears/Bucs/Eagles/Oilers/Panthers/Rams/Redskins once each, and never played the Bengals/Lions/Raiders/Seahawks. (They also played each iteration of the Browns once.)

The Raiders draw special mention as the only AFC team to play the 1993-99 Patriots (the royal blue era) only once, as the Bengals/Seahawks played the Patriots twice in 1993-94. However, in the Bengals' case, the Patriots wore throwbacks once, so the Bengals only faced royal blue Flying Elvis itself on one occasion.

• Like 1

1994_NYJ_1.png?6171 -vs-1994_MIN_3.png?6171 : #1: This is the only time the black-accented New York Jets met the 'classic' Vikings getup in 1994....

#2: The above video features those same black-accented Jets (last year for that look) meeting the second year of the 'second-generation' Vikings three years later, in 1997.

• Like 1

UBwef0L.png

On 11/27/2017 at 11:07 PM, MCM0313 said:

Notice Adam Vinatieri stumbling after a failed attempt to tackle the ballcarrier. It's downright amazeballs that he's still playing after all this time.

Kinda like how Jagr overlapped the Christmas Devils by two years, and is still chugging along. And wore the NHL 75th anniversary patch, as well as the NHL 100 one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Kinda like how Jagr overlapped the Christmas Devils by two years, and is still chugging along. And wore the NHL 75th anniversary patch, as well as the NHL 100 one.

The one about Jagr that jumped out to me was when they showed a flashback clip of him during a game and there were guys without helmets in the clip.  I went and looked into it, and there was still a no-helmet player when Jagr was a 7 year NHL veteran

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lenny Dykstra said:

The one about Jagr that jumped out to me was when they showed a flashback clip of him during a game and there were guys without helmets in the clip.  I went and looked into it, and there was still a no-helmet player when Jagr was a 7 year NHL veteran

My Jagr story: when I was a kid, I had a sports almanac from 1993. Jagr was mentioned in it as a young star who had just helped Lemieux lead the Penguins to back-to-back Stanley Cups.

Also, he has been both the youngest and the oldest player in the NHL, which is also amazing. 

I know a thing or two about Czech longevity - my Bohemia-born great-grandmother lived to 97. Still, Jagr is nuts. In terms of career longevity he is looking like the second coming of Birdie Howe.

I posted this one before as a snippet of a longer video, but here's a good look at this one-off matchup: flying skate Canucks vs. goat head Sabres. It only happened twice (one home game for each team), so this is probably the only time these two jerseys saw each other:

• Like 1

1986_MIA_1.png?6171 -vs- 1986_NO_2.png?6171

Again, no game action pics, but these two uniform sets met just once in 1986 (last year for that Dolphins set, before they added the Dolphin logo on the sleeves, and the first year for that Saints set, w/ the Louisiana state insignia on the sleeves).

UBwef0L.png