Rare team matchups

Washington vs. Houston, 1971. Only time this matchup happened:

IXI2TSI.jpg

I don't know what it is, but I love those Oilers uniforms.

I guess the Cowboys aren't the only team in Texas to have worn a fustercluck of differently-shaded silvers.

Haha that's true. I actually really like that helmet. It could work well with a team using a winter/cold weather-based nickname .

I'd never thought of that concerning those silver Oilers helmets and how close they were to the Cowboys'. Wonder if the AFL/NFL merger had anything to do with the Oilers switching back to "Luv Ya Blue" helmets 2 years later...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Just realized that the Colorado Rockies and the Calgary Flames overlapped for a season, but the closest I've come to finding photos from those matchups (if they did happen) are these:

Eric_vail_atlanta_flames_1978.jpg

Which is obviously the Atlanta Flames (there's a handful of Atlanta vs Colorado photos out there)

and

$(KGrHqZ,!l4E87ryWCSdBPkrZKL1O!~~60_35.J

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Pretty sure Lightning v Whalers isn't common

TAMPA%20BAY%20LIGHTNI-95021.r.jpg

Lightning came into the NHL in 92-93, Whalers moved to Carolina for the 97-98 season, so you have roughly 5 seasons of that matchup. Teams were in the same conference for four of those years so this likely occurred about 20 times.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Twins and Brewers play in the same division these uniforms threw back to?

No, in the 80s the Twins were in the West and the Brewers in the East. They were both in the AL central from 94 to 97, but the Twins no longer wore those unis. Here's a picture from said game by the way.

Eduardo+Nunez+Milwaukee+Brewers+v+Minnes

Does anyone know why it's backwards? Did the Twins just want to wear the Powder Blues at home?

Bobcats vs. Pelicans

I can't get a photo up......

474051271_10-w600.jpg?itok=405DWg_z

ALykGdZ.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Twins and Brewers play in the same division these uniforms threw back to?

They weren't in the same Division, but they were both in the AL so they played about 12-13 times a year so this match-up wasn't all too "unique"

• Like 1

Wow there are 7 white helmeted teams and 6 of them are in the AFC. More than a third of the conference wears a white lid. I never thought about that. Weird.

And 3/4s of the AFC East (!), which is why, even though it looks nice, I'm still not too thrilled over the Bills swapping red for white. Throw in the Pats in silver and you've got a pretty dull group in my NFL mini helmet display case

The AFC East dominated the white helmet segment of the NFL during more than one era. It ended when the Jets switched to green helmets for the 1977 season.

IHOP%2BNFL%2BFootball%2BMini%2BHelmets%2mkh9xtEB3YWwRccGl5_uolQ.jpg

Jets switched to green helmets for the 78 season. This led me to start thinking about the 77 Jets vs Seahawks. That would be a great post for the rare match ups. Time to start digging through the vault to find a pic.

hqdefault.jpghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJrNsnB52E Start at 13:55 for the footage.

Wow there are 7 white helmeted teams and 6 of them are in the AFC. More than a third of the conference wears a white lid. I never thought about that. Weird.

And 3/4s of the AFC East (!), which is why, even though it looks nice, I'm still not too thrilled over the Bills swapping red for white. Throw in the Pats in silver and you've got a pretty dull group in my NFL mini helmet display case

The AFC East dominated the white helmet segment of the NFL during more than one era. It ended when the Jets switched to green helmets for the 1977 season.

Jets switched to green helmets for the 78 season. This led me to start thinking about the 77 Jets vs Seahawks. That would be a great post for the rare match ups. Time to start digging through the vault to find a pic.

hqdefault.jpghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJrNsnB52E Start at 13:55 for the footage.
did the jets play the bucs before they switched to green helmets? thats rare

did the jets play the bucs before they switched to green helmets? thats rare

Can't seem to track down a pic, but the first-year Carolina Panthers met the New England Patriots in 1995. What makes this so significant? It was the only time the Panthers (whose uniform has not changed substantially in their 20 years of operation) met the Patriots in their first-generation Flying Elvis uniforms (albeit with a few tweaks since the Elvis logo debuted in 1993). The two teams met next in 2002 (albeit in January, so technically, they met in the 2001 season, but that game was postponed due to 9/11) by which time the Pats switched to what is more-or-less still their current look.

UBwef0L.png