Toronto Raptors to get an overhaul? Maybe name change as well?

toostyling

With Tim Leiweke now in charge as the CEO of MLSE who owns the Toronto Raptors - looks like he is about to clean house with the Raptors past- starting with a new GM.

the below was from ESPN today announcing he is looking for a new GM.

Tim Leiweke said he wants Toronto to celebrate its 20th anniversary as an NBA city by hosting the All-Star Game for the first time in 2016, calling the game "a must-have."

He also said he wants the team to build a new training facility and hinted at changes to the Raptors' brand, acknowledging "specific" conversations with the NBA about potential changes.

"We absolutely have had conversations about the color and the makeup of our brand, our uniforms and our image," he said. "To me, we should be all about the Canadian flag and Canada.

"We are Toronto's team but I think we have to learn how to be Canada's team."

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. They already went to predominantly red and white to pander to the rest of Canada. How much more Canadian do they have to look? Big red side panels and a maple leaf in the middle?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ugh. They already went to predominantly red and white to pander to the rest of Canada. How much more Canadian do they have to look? Big red side panels and a maple leaf in the middle?

THEY COULD PUT THE NUMBERS INSIDE THE MAPLE LEAF!!1!

I agree with what others suggested before, they should go to something Maple Leaf-esque. Maybe throw in silver as a tertiary color. Their current set is a mess.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Raptors can be a cool identity. I hope they don't abandon it, I just wish they'd re-integrate purple and give their brand an injection of style that's not so minimal.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Honestly, what's wrong with Raptors? A name change isn't what they need.

If they weren't so concerned with being "Canada's team," they might realize that they have a good, fresh look staring them in the face. Simply swapping out red for blue would give them a visual connection to not only the Maple Leafs, but the Huskies as well. Plus, it'd give them a color scheme that's currently only used by one NBA team (Orlando).

If they don't want to do that, then bring back the good 'ol Purple & Red.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Raptors is a terrible identity. It's not Bobcats bad but it's up there.

I don't care for Huskies either. Maybe instead of animals go with something more abstract, something in the vein of Celtics or Knicks or Lakers. Something relevant to Canada as a whole or their specific region. Go with a clean, minimalist red and white color scheme (no black) I think you have something.

I don't care for Huskies either. Maybe instead of animals go with something more abstract, something in the vein of Celtics or Knicks or Lakers. Something relevant to Canada as a whole or their specific region.

As a very sad Hornicans fan, let me tell you:

Be careful what you wish for. You never know what you have until it's gone.

Agreed. The Raptors always looked great before they ditched the purple. In a perfect world (for me) they would bring back an updated version of their 90's set.

This.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

I don't care for Huskies either. Maybe instead of animals go with something more abstract, something in the vein of Celtics or Knicks or Lakers. Something relevant to Canada as a whole or their specific region.

?

?

I'm referring to New Orleans ditching an excellent identity (Hornets) for a less inspired one (Pelicans) just for the sake of getting something more "local."

New Orleans Hornets wasn't a great identity either. Well, the most recent set anyway. But the nickname works a lot better with Charlotte. The only beef I have with their rebranding so far is the r/w/b. It's not as much about going local as it is about finding a more unique identity that isn't just a lazy animal name.

Raptors really is awful though.

Archived