MLB throwback/special uniform thread

ThorSkaagi

Can we make this the thread dedicated to throwbacks/special uniforms (like the Red Sox' special jerseys commemorating the marathon bomobing victims or the memorial day came stuff)?

For example: the Rockies' Turn Back the Clock Day was on April 16 against the Mets, throwing back to the very first Rockies game in 1993. They wore grey at this game even though it was at Coors field.

New+York+Mets+v+Colorado+Rockies+Game+Two+aFqlYHqe6Ujx.jpg

Mets wore this:

New+York+Mets+v+Colorado+Rockies+Game+Two+9NSiCbH7Ng2x.jpg

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see where this goes...no pictures to show it, but the Rangers wore their 1970s road uniforms at home against the Tigers last season. I thought it was odd to wear a road uniform at home, but I think it was good for fans to see them.

v/r

mlbfan72

I would like to see where this goes...no pictures to show it, but the Rangers wore their 1970s road uniforms at home against the Tigers last season. I thought it was odd to wear a road uniform at home, but I think it was good for fans to see them.

Eh?

Detroit+Tigers+v+Texas+Rangers+2AhhFGUdfdkx.jpg

I wish powder blue would make an MLB return

Eh?

Detroit+Tigers+v+Texas+Rangers+2AhhFGUdfdkx.jpg

I wish powder blue would make an MLB return

3uiw24.jpg

Also, the Rockies need to return to a look similar to their inaugural road uniforms.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

The Brewers and Twins will be wearing these 1948 throwbacks in Minnesota on May 30th:

8737609073_22f30be030_o.png

Yes, the Twins will be wearing road St. Paul Saints uniforms at Target Field. And if the Brewers' uniforms look like the Braves, that's because Milwaukee was in its second year as Boston's top farm team after forty-five years as an independent club.

And while we're at it, the Brewers hosted the Cardinals in a TBTC event at Miller Park on 5/5. They wore 1913 uniforms to honor the old minor league Brewers' first pennant.

1913_Axford.jpg

Screen-shot-2013-05-05-at-16.10.54-.png

More on that event here. I covered it extensively on my blog because I first suggested it to the Brewers and consulted on the uniforms.

Just lucky, really.

I had tried to pitch ideas to the Brewers in the past as early as 2002, but never got anywhere.

Then last year I was interviewed by a Milwaukee journalist last year about my blog. I mentioned to him in passing that I was going to pitch a centenary throwback, he thought it was a great idea and knew the guy at the Brewers who could make it happen. He put me in touch, and I got to make the pitch.

I gave them some reference material, and they did an amazing job with it:

1913_jersey.jpg

pMLB2-15797194dt.jpg

Pirates will be wearing Penguins jerseys on their upcoming road trip.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=17857

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

The Brewers and Twins will be wearing these 1948 throwbacks in Minnesota on May 30th:

Yes, the Twins will be wearing road St. Paul Saints uniforms at Target Field. And if the Brewers' uniforms look like the Braves, that's because Milwaukee was in its second year as Boston's top farm team after forty-five years as an independent club.

Bravers set is beautious. Nike once again comes through with the logo creep on the baselayer.

Yeah, but not in the games.

If we're going to include travel wear, then we could populate the entire thread with Rays deliciousness. Wonder what they'll do this year?

Ohhh, my bad. Interpreted that as in game. Guess all that minor league crap is confusing me.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Also, the Rockies need to return to a look similar to their inaugural road uniforms.

Troy+Tulowitzki+Colorado+Rockies+v+Los+Angeles+luud1J9QuKQx.jpg

What they wear now is about as close as you can get.

Well there are a few things they could change to get closer to the original look...

The '93 roads and the 94-99 roads are so much better than the current Rockies road set.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Neither the Cubs nor the Reds are wearing any camo today. They are wearing red vs. blue though. I'm guessing they did this on purpose instead of wearing the camo.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Neither the Cubs nor the Reds are wearing any camo today. They are wearing red vs. blue though. I'm guessing they did this on purpose instead of wearing the camo.

That's weird. Both the hats and jerseys for those teams are available to buy on MLB.com. Maybe they're wearing them tomorrow?

Archived