MLB throwback/special uniform thread

ThorSkaagi

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hadn't heard that. They used to be able to. I have a 2001 White Sox throwback that definitely seemed cream compared to the jersey it was paired with. I wonder if with the popularity of bright white baseball caps they dumped the old fabric.

Or maybe it's a U.S. vs. China production thing. That was a long time ago.

How times have changed. About 10 years ago, I bought a throwback Expos 5950, and the front panel was cream. The word was, at the time, that New Era couldn't produce the then-wool caps in pure white. Now that "the technology has advanced", they can't make cream caps, but they can do white ones.

What I'm trying to get at here is, New Era is lazy as :censored: .

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What's funny is, they did a mismatch again this year against the Cardinals aswell, using the Alternate BP hat with the Throwbacks.

940x.jpg

That looks bad. Pinstripes should always be paired with solid-color caps.

Hadn't heard that. They used to be able to. I have a 2001 White Sox throwback that definitely seemed cream compared to the jersey it was paired with. I wonder if with the popularity of bright white baseball caps they dumped the old fabric.

Yep. In 2001, they wore cream hats with white jerseys. In 2006 for the 1906 throwbacks, they wore white hats with cream jerseys. As mentioned, New Era never used to be able to dye the wool white. However, I can't accept that they are unable to dye the new synethetic material cream. It's either laziness or incompetence on their parts.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah, but we're talking about a company that takes all the disparate shades used by pro teams and distills them down to one red, one light navy, one midnight navy, etc.

Agreed on the Brewers' bp caps - contrasting front panels are way too busy to be paired with pinstripes.

ESPN doesn't let you link their photos, but I wish the Padres went back to these full time. So much better than what they have now.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/photos/_/name/sd/photoId/3031258/san-diego-padres

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I found an authentic sand Jake Peavy jersey on ebay a few weeks back for $25 shipped. Peavy is one of my favorite players, but I passed on it because I didn't know where or when I would have ever worn it. I will probably kick myself about that someday.

Oh, and bring back the brown and yellow.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Pads' current set is a train wreck into a meteor on a giant puddle of spilled milk. Maybe they're strategically, subliminally making us hate it so much in order to convert any non-brown lovers remaining. My favorite is the 1980-83 Taco Bell goodness (got a cap and love it), but I really think they should trot out the original unis or something mighty close.

Yeah, but we're talking about a company that takes all the disparate shades used by pro teams and distills them down to one red, one light navy, one midnight navy, etc.

It's no different than Majestic's initial inability to produce COOLBASE in grey, and then their willingness to only produce one shade of grey. I expect more of companies that produce uniforms for major sports leagues. Majestic & New Era need to get their collective :censored: together.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

What's funny is, they did a mismatch again this year against the Cardinals aswell, using the Alternate BP hat with the Throwbacks.

940x.jpg

Agreed on the Brewers' bp caps - contrasting front panels are way too busy to be paired with pinstripes.

Contrasting front panels with pinstripes don't bother me as much as, say, solid-colored tops with pinstriped pants.

Of course, I used to pair my Brewers '82 fauxback with my 1970 Brewers road cap (yellow front panel with blue block M), so perhaps that's why this doesn't look weird to me.

940x.jpg

Yep. In 2001, they wore cream hats with white jerseys. In 2006 for the 1906 throwbacks, they wore white hats with cream jerseys. As mentioned, New Era never used to be able to dye the wool white. However, I can't accept that they are unable to dye the new synethetic material cream. It's either laziness or incompetence on their parts.

Good point by you and Sodboy. I hadn't considered the wool vs. synthetic switch. That's as likely a reason as any I mentioned.

Archived