Chicago _______'s logos

Midway

I've had these done for a while now but I wanted to pick back up on the idea. The inspiration originally came from Blackbolt's Chicago Legion concept and I took it further from there playing off a Roman legion soldiers theme.

20130213_140419_zps0dbf0136.jpgThe sword was the first idea that developed and naturally I attached a soldier prototype.

After translating the sketch to vector format I proceeded to make 3 different helmet styles for variety's sake. I also doodled up a random crest idea but it's nothing more than a rough deviation. The shields are vacant for now while I work up a better crest.

ChicagoLegionConcepts_zps4d982bdb.png

As you can see I'm a bit stuck with the concept but I wanted to throw these feelers out here to get some suggestions on how to improve the logos. I know they're missing the rest of the body, but that's because I want to keep the logos compact.

Midway.png

C. Avoid B.

I love the concept, but the biggest drawback isn't the face, it's the sword. Why is it split in half? It looks like he has shears or tweezers. What I would do:

1) give the sword a solid, single point.

2) give the hilt definition. Separate it from the blade and use color (red? gray/black?) Right now, it looks unfinished partly because the blade, hilt, and hand all merge together.

3) I know I'm in the minority view on this, but the city flag is a cruddy design element. It's also technically wrong if you leave out the top and bottom white stripes. What would be cooler, IMO, is if you mimicked the city skyline with blood streaks (alt: gray shading) on the sword.

Archived