Dream 30 for 30s

raysox

It'll happen eventually, but a documentary on the entire Penn State mess could be interesting. Obviously the Sandusky side has been played out in the news, but I'd love to see the background story on how all of those "enablers" got into power at PSU and how they created a win-at-all-costs culture.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll happen eventually, but a documentary on the entire Penn State mess could be interesting. Obviously the Sandusky side has been played out in the news, but I'd love to see the background story on how all of those "enablers" got into power at PSU and how they created a win-at-all-costs culture.

By looking at my avatar, you will be able to tell that I'm biased by saying this...that would be one of the best 30 for 30 documentaries ever.

• 1 month later...

Since I haven't been on this board for quite sometime, and stumbling upon this thread while looking for my first post, I decided to read some of what has been proposed for ESPN's 30 for 30 parade. Here are some of my ideas(titles included).

Wobbly No More-The story of Collingwood's 1990 AFL Grand Final victory, which wiped out 31 years of futility, and earned them the nickname of Colliwobbles.

The Fall and Rise and Fall of the NASL - A chronicle of how the most ambitious Soccer in league in North America could falter in it's first few years, rebuild on the backs of Péle, and crumble to death in a struggle with the MISL.

Rest in Peace, 1940 - Recapping the tumultuous season of the 1994 Stanley Cup champion New York Rangers.

Fight Night - A foul that turned into the most controversial fight in NBA history. The Pacers-Pistons brawl from 2004.

To play, or not to play? - In the days after 9-11, leagues all over the country are faced with a tough question. Play and be at risk for more attacks, or take a few days off to mourn?

Criticism, or praise? Please reply.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I'd love to see a Michigan vs Ohio State doc. It would be cool to see how it has evolved into the best and most heated rivalry in sports.

I also can't wait until the Detroit Bad Boys 30 For 30 comes out.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

I'd love to see a Michigan vs Ohio State doc. It would be cool to see how it has evolved into the best and most heated rivalry in sports.

HBO already did it in 2006, but it was mostly focused on the Woody vs. Bo years. It premiered before the 2007 game and after Schembechler's passing.

It is titled "The Rivalry" as they already did with Duke/UNC, "The Battle for Tobacco Road".

Both are up on Youtube.

• 4 weeks later...

Miracle in Manhattan: How Bill Snyder took Kansas State from "Futility U" in 1989 to one quarter away from Tempe and a date with Tennessee for all the marbles nine years later.

Blazer Quandary: This is one they should do next year, for the 30th anniversary of the 1984 NBA Draft. It can be about the coin flip defeat and the decision process leading to taking Bowie over Jordan.

Unrealized Potential: A story about Joe Roth, the star QB at Cal who would have been an NFL star if he didn't die of cancer in February 1977.

After reading what Hedley Lamar wrote about the downfall of the Thrashers (Atlanta Spirit Group), I'd go with:

- Team Spirit: A look into Atlanta Spirit Group's camaraderie--or lack thereof--and how it has effected business with the Atlanta Hawks and, ultimately, the demise of the Atlanta Thrashers.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• 7 months later...

1- Changes in British soccer since Hillsborough and possibly an new Taylor Report doc.

So my twitter feed was pretty much taken over by Hillsborough related things yesterday as it was the 25th Anniversary since the tragedy.

One of the things that came up was the new 30 for 30 which aired last night in the US on the Hillsborough disaster and all of the events following. Did anybody catch it and is it worth a watch?

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

1- Changes in British soccer since Hillsborough and possibly an new Taylor Report doc.

So my twitter feed was pretty much taken over by Hillsborough related things yesterday as it was the 25th Anniversary since the tragedy.

One of the things that came up was the new 30 for 30 which aired last night in the US on the Hillsborough disaster and all of the events following. Did anybody catch it and is it worth a watch?

If you can find a way to watch it (dailymotion or youtube), try to do so. I do not know if Gordon spoke to any UK media (or if he could), but Gordon did do an interview with SI.com to explain what it is in it.

I did not realize that it was not going to air in England until yesterday morning when I looked at Awful Announcing.

I would love a two part Big East 30 for 30. The 80s basketball heyday like you all are saying, plus a look at the collapse starting with the 2004 realignment and then again from 2011 on.

Also would like a lacrosse one, but I feel like it's automatically going to be about the Duke rape case and the subsequent re-rise of the Duke program/impact on the perception of the sport. I'd rather have it either on probably the 90s/early 2000s with all the battles between Simmons/Desko, Tierney, and Starsia in the Final Four

Well, we got the first part down that's to "Requiem for the Big East," which aside from glossing over the 90s did a very good job.

I thought of one last night with NASCAR, given the one so far was probably the most disappointing 30 for 30 given how they could've gone much further than they did with the Tim Richmond story: Alan Kulwicki. Probably THE underdog story of NASCAR that capped off with the 1993 Championship (hell, you can just do a 30 for 30 on that Atlanta race between the title fight, Petty's last race, and Gordon's first) but then came to a tragic halt the next spring when his helicopter crashed at Bristol. That could be a very compelling one

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I saw it and it was pretty excellent.

The first half of it (it ran two hours with commercials added in) was largely about what led up to the disaster and witness recounts, while the second half focused on the gross injustices that ensued, perpetuated by the South Yorkshire Police and their cover-ups of what really happened. I've tried reading about Hillsborough many times online but something never seemed to click for me. It makes much more sense after watching that documentary.

spacer.png

If you can find a way to watch it (dailymotion or youtube), try to do so. I do not know if Gordon spoke to any UK media (or if he could), but Gordon did do an interview with SI.com to explain what it is in it.

I did not realize that it was not going to air in England until yesterday morning when I looked at Awful Announcing.

I saw it and it was pretty excellent.

The first half of it (it ran two hours with commercials added in) was largely about what led up to the disaster and witness recounts, while the second half focused on the gross injustices that ensued, perpetuated by the South Yorkshire Police and their cover-ups of what really happened. I've tried reading about Hillsborough many times online but something never seemed to click for me. It makes much more sense after watching that documentary.

Thanks for the replies. It is definitely an event that everybody (particularly sports fans) should learn about to prevent history from repeating itself in future generations.

As for the injustices which happened afterwards, if anyone ever struggles to understand why the city of Liverpool feels hatred towards the government/establishments of the time (as well as Thatcher), then this documentary will definitely explain a big part of it.

I will try and dig it out online for sure. I think a possible reason it will not be airing here is that the investigation is still ongoing, having only really properly started recently (prime example of the greatest injustice in my eyes - still no accountability after 25 years). The press here aren't even allowed to publish witness accounts which are attached to the trial. You can check out @TonyEvansTimes though for a pretty chilling synopsis of a personal witness account. It was surprising to see the people I follow on twitter from these boards retweeting this account and not just my real life friends. Just shows how far and wide the message is now being spread.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

I haven't seen the Hillsborough 30 for 30 episode last night because it didn't air on TSN here in Canada. I am hoping that TSN will air that episode in the coming weeks. I heard from some American football supporters I follow on Twitter that it was powerful and riveting. As for it airing in the UK, I don't think it will ever air in the UK due to the gross injustice that occurred and is still occurring over this rtagedy 25 years later. I am Gooner through and through (over 30 years of supporting my club) but I believe that the tragedy that occurred at Hillsborough is shared through every football supporter. Just like Munich, Heysel, and Ibrox tragedies...#YNWA

There's a great documentary that came out in 2013 about the Hillsborough disaster I watched yesterday since I knew I wouldn't be able to catch the entire 30/30. A lot of the people interviewed in the one I watched are in the 30/30 that was on yesterday. I'll see if I can find a link to it.

Found it: It's titled Panorama Hillsborough: How they buried the truth, Britains worst football disaster BBC documentary.

It talked about pratically everything involved with what happened including the coverup. Only an hour long, perfect for people who have a hard time watching 2 hour documentaries.

"Oh My!" - the announcing career of Dick Enberg.

"Mr. Padre" - the life and career of Tony Gwynn.

"Conquer the World" - the WLAF/NFL Europe, and the select few who went on to be NFL legends. With a few clips of USA's HelmetCam.

"Cool Cats" - the Panthers and Jaguars' entry to the NFL in 1995.

"Hornets' Nest" - the overall history of Charlotte basketball.

Since I haven't been on this board for quite sometime, and stumbling upon this thread while looking for my first post, I decided to read some of what has been proposed for ESPN's 30 for 30 parade. Here are some of my ideas(titles included).

The Fall and Rise and Fall of the NASL - A chronicle of how the most ambitious Soccer in league in North America could falter in it's first few years, rebuild on the backs of Péle, and crumble to death in a struggle with the MISL.

Criticism, or praise? Please reply.

Yup, I would love that too.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived