Dream 30 for 30s

raysox

Found it: It's titled Panorama Hillsborough: How they buried the truth, Britains worst football disaster BBC documentary.

It talked about pratically everything involved with what happened including the coverup. Only an hour long, perfect for people who have a hard time watching 2 hour documentaries.

I watched that Panorama doc when it came out last year and it was powerful. My wife doesn't know much about football but when she watched that doc, she was in tears with those scenes. She couldn't believe something liek that could ever happen, especially in England.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hilsborough disaster has never made much sense to me. By that I mean I couldn't picture in my mind how something like that could go wrong just from reading about it.

Watching the documentary really helped me understand spatially what was wrong with the stadium and how the police handled the crowd.

I'm not the first person to say this, but it seems so obvious that pushing people into an area with ten foot high fences and a small entry way and then not giving them room to spread out sideways is just about the worst way to layout a stadium.

I thought it was really well done. Granted, I haven't seen the last 50 minutes because the bootleg I was watching cut off at that point.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This is a GREAT topic for discussion! I'd like to see a 30 for 30 on the 1968 Detroit Tigers. In times of racial tensions and crime issues a team was able to unite a city and bring them together for one dominating season. Interviews could include Al Kaline, Willie Horton, Bill Freehan, and Mickey Lolich.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

The true story about how Mal Moore got Nick Saban to come to Alabama. I've heard it's a real doozy. Sadly, the story might be limited now that Mal Moore has died.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

The Hilsborough disaster has never made much sense to me. By that I mean I couldn't picture in my mind how something like that could go wrong just from reading about it.

Watching the documentary really helped me understand spatially what was wrong with the stadium and how the police handled the crowd.

I'm not the first person to say this, but it seems so obvious that pushing people into an area with ten foot high fences and a small entry way and then not giving them room to spread out sideways is just about the worst way to layout a stadium.

I thought it was really well done. Granted, I haven't seen the last 50 minutes because the bootleg I was watching cut off at that point.

You pretty much got everything that was related to the actual "how the disaster happened" story.

Second half was entirely about the police cover-up and the like. Really powerful.

JFT96.

6fQjS3M.png

This is a GREAT topic for discussion! I'd like to see a 30 for 30 on the 1968 Detroit Tigers. In times of racial tensions and crime issues a team was able to unite a city and bring them together for one dominating season. Interviews could include Al Kaline, Willie Horton, Bill Freehan, and Mickey Lolich.

HBO did a 68 Tigers documentary, I remember it being pretty good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343535/combined

My dream 30 for 30 film would be

The sunbelt on thin ice: The rise and fall of the southern NHL teams.

I felt like that one day they should make the film about the ups, and downs of those NHL team from the south. From the one hit wonder (sort of) of the Avalanche, to the saga of the Coyotes, to even the failure of the Thrashers. Also the thoughts of what everyone thinks of Gary Bettman, and his vision.

My dream 30 for 30 film would be

The sunbelt on thin ice: The rise and fall of the southern NHL teams.

I felt like that one day they should make the film about the ups, and downs of those NHL team from the south. From the one hit wonder (sort of) of the Avalanche, to the saga of the Coyotes, to even the failure of the Thrashers. Also the thoughts of what everyone thinks of Gary Bettman, and his vision.

Semi-related to that: I'd like to see one about the final days before teams move. Several of them could probably be whole docs on their own (and maybe already have been), but I'd like to see that time between when the fans know they're going to move and when it actually happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Swimming With Sharks: After years of choking/losing in the playoffs the 2015 San Jose Sharks finally bring home the cup. Okay never mind.............

Actually I really enjoyed Bad Boys and I'm looking forward to Michael Rapaport's 30 for 30 on the early 70's New York Knicks, "When The Garden Was Eden".

How about one on the interesting team that was once known as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim? A team that was named after a children's movie, playing in the NHL. They could do interviews of Paul Kariya, Guy Hebert, and Teemu Selanne.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Actually I really enjoyed Bad Boys and I'm looking forward to Michael Rapaport's 30 for 30 on the early 70's New York Knicks, "When The Garden Was Eden".

They are doing one about the early-70's Knicks? That would be interesting to see.

I'd just like them to do at least one more on hockey before they do another 56 basketball ones. They've done, what, two? Gretzky and John Spano/Islanders? I know they're controlled by Simmons and how much he loves basketball (plus ESPN/hockey), but come on. Are they just unable to get the NHL footage because of ESPN not having the rights?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I'd just like them to do at least one more on hockey before they do another 56 basketball ones. They've done, what, two? Gretzky and John Spano/Islanders? I know they're controlled by Simmons and how much he loves basketball (plus ESPN/hockey), but come on. Are they just unable to get the NHL footage because of ESPN not having the rights?

They've done so many basketball stories it's getting a little absurd. I know sportsguy's favorite sport is basketball, but they need to branch out. I want to see more baseball and hockey stories.

My dream 30 for 30 centers around the Red Wings- Avalanche rivalry of the 90's. That's when I first started watching hockey and those two teams cemented my love for the game. I was 8 and I couldn't believe such an awesome sport existed. I hated the Detroit Red Wings because so many kids in my class loved them. I was a huge Avalanche fan and those playoff meetings were always awesome.

The Avalanche and Red Wings had a real rivalry in the 90's and early 2000's that resulted in five Stanley Cups in a 7 year span. Most of the time in pro sports a rivalry only really exists between fanbases and the people actually playing the sport don't really care. That wasn't the case with these two teams. Patrick Roy, Mike Vernon, Chris Osgood, the Russians, Sakic/Forsberg, Yzerman, Claude Lemieux, Kris Draper, Ray Bourque, Each team’s scraps with the trappy trap Devils, 2002 WCF.

Start it with the two teams beginnings: The Wings were the San Jose Sharks of the late 80's and 90's. They were enormously talented, but kept coming up short to upsets and weird playoff defeats. They were swept in 95, watched the brand new Avs win it all in 96, and the team flirted with trading Steve Yzerman believing he didn't have the winning gene. They finally broke through and ended their drought in 97 (hard to remember a time when the Red Wings had a long stanley cup drought, but it happened kids). They dominated in 97 and 98, watched the Stars take over for a couple years, and then finished the era off with the super team in 2002. For the Avs you begin with the building of the team in Quebec, the move, the acquisition of Roy, and then when the two meet up and start the blood feud. There’s so much juicy stuff there I’m surprised nobody’s done it yet.

Because those two teams were so integral to the history of the NHL in the 90's it would essentially be a documentary about the transition of hockey from the wild and loose 80’s to the expansion and physical 90’s. It tells the story of the NHL as it relates to today’s modern era. In the right hands it would make for a phenomenal sports documentary.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's not even having a million basketball docs as much as it is do we really need yet another 30 for 30 on the Knicks already? I can think of at least two off the top of my head plus that one about Jeremy Lin that didn't end up airing or whatever

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I'd like to see one on the history of street basketball and it's significance, especially during its peak in the early 2000's/And 1 era.

Another good one could be on the Arena Football League pre and post league shutdown. I know it's still in business but it's kind of new spin on the rise and fall angle. One year off and it lost all popularity. Went from EA games to barely getting tv time. Sad.

I would love a two part Big East 30 for 30. The 80s basketball heyday like you all are saying, plus a look at the collapse starting with the 2004 realignment and then again from 2011 on.

Also would like a lacrosse one, but I feel like it's automatically going to be about the Duke rape case and the subsequent re-rise of the Duke program/impact on the perception of the sport. I'd rather have it either on probably the 90s/early 2000s with all the battles between Simmons/Desko, Tierney, and Starsia in the Final Four

Well, we got the first part down that's to "Requiem for the Big East," which aside from glossing over the 90s did a very good job.

I thought of one last night with NASCAR, given the one so far was probably the most disappointing 30 for 30 given how they could've gone much further than they did with the Tim Richmond story: Alan Kulwicki. Probably THE underdog story of NASCAR that capped off with the 1993 Championship (hell, you can just do a 30 for 30 on that Atlanta race between the title fight, Petty's last race, and Gordon's first) but then came to a tragic halt the next spring when his helicopter crashed at Bristol. That could be a very compelling one

Speed did a mini-documentary about that, actually:

I know I'm a homer, but I don't care. I want to see the REAL background and what led to the selling of the Cleveland Browns by Art Model.

I want to know:

• Why ex-Mayor Michael White is in basically protective custody and can't show his face any where in Cuyahoga County.
  • The role Al Learner played in the deal (because everyone forgets his shoulders a lot of the blame) and the amount of money he made off the selling.
  • Why the Gateway Complex didn't give Modell some property.
  • If the Gateway Complex did give him land, why did he still sell.

There is all kinds of ish that happened. I was too young to wrap my head around it. But I would love to know the REAL story.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived