Defunct College Teams

illwauk

In doing a quick GIS, I wasn't able to find a better pic for UT-Arlington's defunct football program.

mqdefault.jpg

I don't know if it's a BAD thing or a GOOD thing for UTA not to have football anymore.

On the one hand, it could be good for UTA because they're now part of the FBS and they could play games in nearby Cowboys Stadium.

On the other hand... they have to compete with TCU (who pretty much owns DFW in college football right now), SMU (which is still getting better), and UNT for attention. They could easily get lost.

UT-Arlington will always feel like Arlington Commuter College, putting football back won't help that. I think it's better that they are putting money into their Baseball and Basketball programs since they actually have a chance to do well in those areas. The next step is to drop "Texas" and go with University of Arlington or Arlington University.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In doing a quick GIS, I wasn't able to find a better pic for UT-Arlington's defunct football program.

mqdefault.jpg

I don't know if it's a BAD thing or a GOOD thing for UTA not to have football anymore.

On the one hand, it could be good for UTA because they're now part of the FBS and they could play games in nearby Cowboys Stadium.

On the other hand... they have to compete with TCU (who pretty much owns DFW in college football right now), SMU (which is still getting better), and UNT for attention. They could easily get lost.

UT-Arlington will always feel like Arlington Commuter College, putting football back won't help that. I think it's better that they are putting money into their Baseball and Basketball programs since they actually have a chance to do well in those areas. The next step is to drop "Texas" and go with University of Arlington or Arlington University.

But aren't they part of the UT system, though?

Not saying that they can't drop "Texas" out of the name, but I don't usually see it. There were even talks my my school (Prairie View A&M) changing their name to Texas A&M - PV.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Because Georgetown will park their football team in Division 3 faster than you can say Hoya Suxa.

Not sure why this is a problem... how many people even know Georgetown plays football in the first place?

Not saying that they can't drop "Texas" out of the name, but I don't usually see it. There were even talks my my school (Prairie View A&M) changing their name to Texas A&M - PV.

I'm of the opinion that ALL hyphenated schools should find something else to call themselves. Not only is it confusing and dishonest for these schools to have the same name as a more visible and entrenched university, it makes the hyphenated schools seem like lesser institutions even after they develop their own programs that can rival those at the "flagship" school.

Because Georgetown will park their football team in Division 3 faster than you can say Hoya Suxa.

Not sure why this is a problem... how many people even know Georgetown plays football in the first place?

It's a problem because of fair play. As alluded to above, Georgetown et. al. could provide Division I caliber training facilities while wreaking havoc at Division III levels in football. Considering the bulk of the NCAA's membership competes in Division III and Division II, the "slumming" major schools with football teams were going to inevitably be forced out. FWIW when that legislation passed in the early 1990s, you saw several conferences form at the Division I-AA level that had greatly reduced (or none at all) scholarships for football that the slummers promptly joined.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

mqdefault.jpg

They are, but the school is moving in a direction to where I feel that they are going to make a change sooner or later. Everything is now "Arlington Mavericks" and they are doing everything they can to get away from the community college feel and the perception (and rather correct perception) that the University is just a tool to get to Austin.

It's important to note that UT-Arlington was once part of the Texas A&M system. If I remember it correctly, there was a point early in the 1900's where the question of having the flagship school was raised between Arlington and Bryan. In the mid 60's, Arlington State College caught wind that College Station wanted to change the name of the University to "Texas A&M University at Arlington." That enraged the staff in North Texas, and Governor Connolly helped the legislature move a bill that would move ASC to UT control. By the 70's, ASC couldn't go back and the name switched to UT-Arlington. Had they stayed with Aggieland, nothing might have come of it since Tarleton State has opposed any movement to be called Texas A&M University at Stephenville.

With 2 National Championships, 10 Big 10 Titles, the first Heisman winner, the first ever NFL draft pick and and participants in the game that many credit with changing football forever (1905 vs. Michigan), I present, the University of Chicago football team (they cancelled football, then brought it back. They are low D3 now)

jay-berwanger.jpg

• 1 year later...

Never forget that UIC announced they were dropping hockey the same day they hired Jimmy Collins as their first big-money basketball coach.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Bradley University (Peoria, IL) had a football team through the 1970 season, but cancelled it to provide funds to other sports.

10379543_10152607975647269_6556678933627

Which made things interesting when Marcus Pollard, a Bradley alum, had a decent NFL career despite being born a little more than a year after the football program was disbanded. Pollard played basketball at Bradley in the early 90s.

OMCBIBYQYKLJOSL.20050908192321.jpg

Cal State Hayward (now East Bay) Football

qv4KkGe.jpg

Ah the Pioneers. I grew up in Hayward. I remember the rash of California schools dropping their football programs: Long Beach State, Cal State Fullerton, Pacific, Cal State Northridge, Saint Mary's, Cal State Hayward, Chico State and San Francisco State.

Bradley University (Peoria, IL) had a football team through the 1970 season, but cancelled it to provide funds to other sports.

10379543_10152607975647269_6556678933627

Which made things interesting when Marcus Pollard, a Bradley alum, had a decent NFL career despite being born a little more than a year after the football program was disbanded. Pollard played basketball at Bradley in the early 90s.

OMCBIBYQYKLJOSL.20050908192321.jpg

That's just like current Chiefs tight end Demetrius Harris... played basketball at Milwaukee almost 40 years after we last had a varsity team. Although we've had club football for the past decade.

Pretty odd (or maybe just showing my age) that I've seen 3 of these teams in action: Wichita State and Cal State Fullerton in football, and USIU basketball. USIU had this very entertaining little (5' 2 1/2") guy, Zach Lieberman who played for them.

It is what it is.

Archived