Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

Despite the fact I'm not sure ANYONE could possibly be interested by this, I've decided to take some screenshots of different sports graphics packages over the years (overlays, swipes, bugs) and have made collages out of them. The purpose of this thread, I assume, is to show the evolution of graphics packages over the years. My first three examples are of ESPN's various hockey graphics packages. Also, the dating (year-wise) is roughly the exact time frame these packages were used.

1995-1998

349eb09.jpg

1999 (virtually the same as 2000-2004, with the scorebug obviously being the one main difference)

ac8lyu.jpg

2000-2004

9u9kxw.jpg

• Like 3

I find this stuff intriguing, although hockey isn't my sport. Graphic overlays can really change the perception of a game.

• Like 2

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Those ESPN graphics up through 2003 were so nice and simple. Those early-mid-2000s Fox bars were so garish and distracting, like the one that had colored dot-matrix city abbreviations. The 2006 one was good, and lasted a pretty long time by Fox standards, as I recall. They usually figured out new ways for numbers to do backflips and cartwheels every four months or so.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Actually it was used only in the 1995-96 season. The 1993-95 graphics used the same designs above, but used Compacta for the fonts. For the 1996-97 season, those graphics above were used, but a smaller score box with team abbreviations were used.

I see. Thanks for the clarification as I was kind of questioning my dating of those caps (Although I did know about the smaller bug in 96-97 and 97-98)