Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

This one is my favorite TBS bug.

7 hours ago, Lights Out said:

zOCEXXR.png

I think the one they currently have is good but all they have to do is make it a little bit bigger. TBS when it comes to how they present baseball, I'm not a fan of. I remember during the 2015 NLCS they made a routine pop fly look like a home run which was the weirdest thing ever. 

XM4KeeA.png

3 hours ago, insert name said:

This one is my favorite TBS bug.

I think the one they currently have is good but all they have to do is make it a little bit bigger. TBS when it comes to how they present baseball, I'm not a fan of. I remember during the 2015 NLCS they made a routine pop fly look like a home run which was the weirdest thing ever. 

Turner screwed up the moment they abandoned this old logo for their current 80's blast

tbs-logo.jpg

• Like 1

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

The answer is obvious....so when my mom sits down to watch a quarter or so with me she can see the answer to the inevitable question (Is...so-and-so a good team?) Networks don't have the luxury of assuming 99% of the audience knows everything about the sport they're watching. It's getting as much information to the masses as possible. I think some people assume the sports world is active on this forum and networks and schools/teams cater to our desires, wants, and needs.

I rarely watch soccer, but when I do I like to have as much info on the screen for me as possible. My mom might watch 4 football games a year. This info is for her, not me, who spends 12 hours every Sunday (and Saturday) watching football wire to wire. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

Why is this necessary? Even if it is these days, it looks crammed in there. CBS had something that wasn't broke...wonder what the need to fix it came from

For the NFL I don't think it's necessary, but if I am watching College Football I like having the W-L record on the bug along with ranking if it's applicable. 

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 hours ago, FSUViking said:

The answer is obvious....so when my mom sits down to watch a quarter or so with me she can see the answer to the inevitable question (Is...so-and-so a good team?) Networks don't have the luxury of assuming 99% of the audience knows everything about the sport they're watching. It's getting as much information to the masses as possible. I think some people assume the sports world is active on this forum and networks and schools/teams cater to our desires, wants, and needs.

I rarely watch soccer, but when I do I like to have as much info on the screen for me as possible. My mom might watch 4 football games a year. This info is for her, not me, who spends 12 hours every Sunday (and Saturday) watching football wire to wire. 

im with you, and i think that spelling out the team names works better than an abbreviation for this reason, but you have to know what information is useful and how to display it to make the game easier to follow. this however makes it more confusing; not only is the WL record unimportant during the game, this added information makes the bug that much harder to read. this is something you display on before the game or during an appropriate break but this never changes during the game, so its useless for the bug. bad design decision here. 

• Like 3

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Why do the timeout markers need to be long bars? Why not just dots? That way, you can center the record a little more to be underneath the team abbreviation. 

i'd still pull the WL record off, but i've always liked the TO's to be indicated by circles too. the entire bug is rectangles, so having that contrast in shape would be useful when applied to the appropriate info and i think TO's would be served well there. 

if someone said "we're doing what i want and the WL record needs to be displayed" i would move it up next to the team abbreviations. you're going to associate it with whatever its next to, so it doesn't make sense to have it next to the TO count. details like that really make or break the readability of a bug for casual fans. its all about good communication of information

• Like 3

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

oh, I love this thread. 

For me, NFL on NBC (1990-1994). The font, the helmets, line-ups, game-updates/breaks...my favorite.  Really enjoyed how things like the line-ups were subtle and were adjusted based on a certain formation. I think I prefer the minimal stuff than today's photo or live clip of a players torso on a stat line or line-up.  

NFL on NBC Clip 1.PNG

NFL on NBC Clip 2.PNG

NFL on NBC Clip 4.PNG

NFL on NBC Clip 8.PNG

NFL on NBC Clip 7.PNG

NFL on NBC Clip 9.PNG

NFL on NBC Clip 10.PNG

• Like 4