Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

I was confused by why the Eagles graphics had light green accents while the Patriots had accents in an actual team color (red). Also, there was a weird notch between one team name box and their score, but not the other. 

Overall, the new graphics looked pretty good, but there were a few idiosyncrasies that made me scratch my head.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RETROJR79 said:

Figured I think the new graphics is only for Sunday Night Football just like ESPN using different graphics for Monday Night Football 

I'll still wait it out with baited breath. They could easily have it ready for the NHL by playoff time.

However, I would like to see if the regionals will adopt it soon. I'm sure it's too late to switch for the NBA, so my hope is maybe the MLB games will have it by Opening Day.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

11 minutes ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

I'll still wait it out with baited breath. They could easily have it ready for the NHL by playoff time.

However, I would like to see if the regionals will adopt it soon. I'm sure it's too late to switch for the NBA, so my hope is maybe the MLB games will have it by Opening Day.

Yeah you're right I would love to see it on MLB games and they're saving the graphics for the NHL Playoff or the Stanley Cup

I could see NBC either waiting til after the Olympics for the full rollout or, as you guys have been saying, waiting for the Stanley Cup Playoffs for hockey and going from there on a sport by sport basis like Fox tends to do

Speaking of Fox, curious to see what they're going to do for the NASCAR scorebug with the new package

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

1 hour ago, CitizenTino said:

THAT'S what that notch was? I thought it was just some sort of asymmetrical design, and it drove me nuts. Never noticed that it switched teams based on possession.

That was one of the first things I noticed, funny how that works.

7 minutes ago, insert name said:

NBC still using the old graphics for Wednesday Night Rivalry. Yeah, it's either one of 2 things: It's only for SNF or they probably won't upgrade till the Stnaley Cup Playoffs. 

Or is only for NBC and NBCSN is using the old graphic

I will agree that a centered bug with bolder lettering would be much better for hockey. I also think the logos are unnecessary with the team colors and city abbrevs., but I realize that's a fight I'm not going to win.

But if I have one big hockey on-screen information crusade, I would say it's to intermittently show shot attempts, not shots on goal, broken down into on goal, blocked, and missed. (Sometimes you get shot blocks or shot attempts blocked, which are the inverses of each other and only serve to confuse the crap out of everyone.) Shot attempts are the backbone of hockey analytics, after all, and failing to show misses and blocks in a league with such emphasis on six-goalie shells and puck-chucking really leaves a lot of the story out. It's basically the same as showing batting average but not on-base percentage.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, bushy said:

I really wonder how it must’ve been watching NBA games with the disappearing scoreboard. I’m 22. 

I only really started getting into sports around the time the score bugs started to appear in sports in the late 90's. I'm 27 so I do remember the NBA on NBC showing you the score after every basket and I thought that was fine.

Watching old NBA and NFL games on Youtube is annoying though especially during the 70's when they didn't tell you the down and distance, either hear the announcer or you're left in the dust.. I know back in the day people use to say "Hey man, what's the score?" when walking into the room but that doesn't happen anymore.

bSLCtu2.png

On February 7, 2018 at 12:04 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

Speaking of Fox, curious to see what they're going to do for the NASCAR scorebug with the new package

WEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP

DVr0mbsW4AIDEs4.jpg:large

given it's qualifying runs this practice, this better just be the qualifying scorebug because otherwise this is them repeating their initial 2014 mistake all over again

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

6 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

WEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP

DVr0mbsW4AIDEs4.jpg:large

given it's qualifying runs this practice, this better just be the qualifying scorebug because otherwise this is them repeating their initial 2014 mistake all over again

It’s still on the left hand side for the ARCA Race on FS1. 

I don’t know why they’re trying this again. Didn’t work the first time and it still doesn’t. 

iGLssSH.png