Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

Oh wow, that bottom-left graphic is from Week 1 in 1999. I think that was the only home game the Redskins lost that season, and the only road game the Cowboys won that season (remarkably, still reaching the playoffs at an 8-8 record).

The Seahawks/Jets graphics are from Week 17 in 1999, as well as the Week 16 Falcons/Cardinals one. I don't remember that Cowboys/Eagles one, but the convenient BottomLine makes it obvious of 1999, because of the Indians and Red Sox ALDS series that year.

Damn, now I just need to find my 1999 NFL Almanac. In the meantime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnqNstepGTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJI5pKtMrk

G-d do I miss the old days of NFL Prime Time.

Late edit - forgot to mention this was Derrick Thomas's final game. RIP :(

spacer.png

Two ESPN centric baseball packages. IMO, the post 2003 set is kind of really drab and gaudy looking. Way too much emphasis on looking futuristic.

1999-2003

2s8qnfc.jpg

2004-2006

9a6ae9.jpg

The 1999 graphics package was actually used during the first month or two of the 2004 season before the 2004-2006 package debuted.

MLB on Fox, 2001-2004

28jze5t.jpg

This was one of my favorite packages; I liked it most in '04 because then, gone were the futuristic background graphics from 1999-2003 and in came more traditional background elements such as stars being used in many of the animations. Remember the MLB on FOX logo with the stars around it going into and coming out of replays?

Two ESPN centric baseball packages. IMO, the post 2003 set is kind of really drab and gaudy looking. Way too much emphasis on looking futuristic.

1999-2003

2s8qnfc.jpg

2004-2006

9a6ae9.jpg

The 1999 graphics package was actually used during the first month or two of the 2004 season before the 2004-2006 package debuted.

This is what I figured, wasn't exactly sure of the dates though

I vaguely recall there being a mix of graphics used as late as 2006, which was the last season that ESPN, in addition to their Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday games also had a mid-week day game (usually Wednesday) and a Thursday night game as well.

I mean, I can't recall a ton of specifics, but I definitely remember a game in June 2006 between the Braves and Yankees that seemed to use the newer graphics when showing player stats, for instance, but used the '99-'03 graphics at the beginning/end of each half-inning with the R/H/E lines. This usually seemed to get used for those Wednesday and Thursday games.

spacer.png

Oh man... skip ahead to 4:06 to see one of the most bizarre occurrences I can recall in all the years I've been watching football. Long story short, the Packers and Panthers playoff tiebreaker came down to net point differential, which led to them watching the out of town scoreboards and playing each other by proxy. That caused some very usual scenes such as both teams running two minute drills in the 4th quarter despite having dominated their actual, in-stadium opponents (Cardinals and Saints, respectively) all afternoon.

Then, to top it all off, the Packers (who won the "proxy game") ended up getting leap-frogged by someone else for the last playoff spot, making the entire spectacle for naught.

Oh man... skip ahead to 4:06 to see one of the most bizarre occurrences I can recall in all the years I've been watching football. Long story short, the Packers and Panthers playoff tiebreaker came down to net point differential, which led to them watching the out of town scoreboards and playing each other by proxy. That caused some very usual scenes such as both teams running two minute drills in the 4th quarter despite having dominated their actual, in-stadium opponents (Cardinals and Saints, respectively) all afternoon.

Then, to top it all off, the Packers (who won the "proxy game") ended up getting leap-frogged by someone else for the last playoff spot, making the entire spectacle for naught.

Tiebreakers (according to Wikipedia)

• ''Dallas was the second NFC Wild Card based on better record against common opponents (3–2 to Lions' 3–3) and better conference record than Carolina (7–5 to Panthers' 6–6).''
  • ''Detroit was the third NFC Wild Card based on better conference record than Green Bay (7–5 to Packers' 6–6) and better conference record than Carolina (7–5 to Panthers' 6–6).''

Yeah, that's one of the biggest reasons I quickly went to those videos. Back when Primetime was Primetime and Boomer wasn't such a tired cliche, it was fun listening to him go back and forth like that between games.

This is probably referenced in some comments on the video page, but imagine if Red Zone Channel were around back then for something like that? Scott Hanson would be tired before the second slate of games even started.

spacer.png

• 4 months later...