Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

Yeah, that Giants/Dodgers graphics one was certainly the Steve Finley walk-off grand slam in the penultimate game of the 2004 season.

What do you mean by 1st half only, by the way? I know Fox is a bit eccentric with changing up their graphics (there's usually an update every two seasons or so, and especially around 2003-2005 they altered their graphics frequently; check out old NFL Primetime clips if you don't remember), but did they change their graphics mid-game? Jeez. I don't remember that.

EDIT - or perhaps you just mean there's only access to YouTube clips of the first half of that game? That's what is seems like.

spacer.png

Yeah, that Giants/Dodgers graphics one was certainly the Steve Finley walk-off grand slam in the penultimate game of the 2004 season.

What do you mean by 1st half only, by the way? I know Fox is a bit eccentric with changing up their graphics (there's usually an update every two seasons or so, and especially around 2003-2005 they altered their graphics frequently; check out old NFL Primetime clips if you don't remember), but did they change their graphics mid-game? Jeez. I don't remember that.

Oh, I should have clarified: I only meant the first half of the game I took the shots from ('98 NFC Title game)

Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, I should have clarified: I only meant the first half of the game I took the shots from ('98 NFC Title game)

Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, no problem, this is stellar stuff. A little investigative work into YouTube indicated that you might mean that, because the 1st half of that game is on there, but not the 2nd half. Weird, but whatever. Gary Anderson still hasn't missed a field goal in the '98 season.

I've been watching a ton of Primetime clips this past week; there is some great user on that site who has uploaded a ton of old shows in recent times, and I must say I miss those 2003-2005'ish Fox graphics more than I thought I did (they were different, but they were all related to each other). 2006-2008 was just so atrociously bland, it's almost hard to believe those were Fox graphics, and even harder to believe they lasted three entire seasons. I say this with the added memory of what horrifying sporting event occurred on Fox during the course of those graphics' run.

spacer.png

I know Fox is a bit eccentric with changing up their graphics (there's usually an update every two seasons or so, and especially around 2003-2005 they altered their graphics frequently

I'm quite curious is to why FOX's MLB broadcasts continued to use the 2001 package in '04 and then finally upgrade the graphics at the start of its postseason coverage. I'm also wondering why MLB on FOX continued to use the late 2004 graphics package in 2007 while NFL and NASCAR telecasts had their graphics packages upgraded starting with the 2006 NFL season. Could it be because of budget issues at those times?

MLB on FOX 2005 (World Series) - 2007

These were the best Fox graphics ever and was also used for the NFL aswell. Current Fox graphics are good too, but these were just so good.

On this subject, does anybody remember the New Years Eve game between the 49ers/Broncos in 2006? The bad snow storms in Denver caused the Fox trucks not to get their, so they used stuff from Fox Sports Rocky Mountain, and thus for probably the only time ever, you saw Fox Sports Net graphics during an NFL game. Watching that game was weird because the picture quality clearly wasn't on the normal level of the typical Fox Broadcast, I didn't have an HDTV at the time but even then you could just tell how off it looked. Also, the grass looked awful.

bSLCtu2.png

I know Fox is a bit eccentric with changing up their graphics (there's usually an update every two seasons or so, and especially around 2003-2005 they altered their graphics frequently

I'm quite curious is to why FOX's MLB broadcasts continued to use the 2001 package in '04 and then finally upgrade the graphics at the start of its postseason coverage. I'm also wondering why MLB on FOX continued to use the late 2004 graphics package in 2007 while NFL and NASCAR telecasts had their graphics packages upgraded starting with the 2006 NFL season. Could it be because of budget issues at those times?

Maybe we'll never know for sure, but FOX has been notorious with their shady treatment of MLB. It always seems that for every ounce of effort they put forward toward baseball, they give three ounces to the NFL, and the results could not be more apparent. From the announcers to the graphics, from the advertisement to scheduling, I always had a feeling FOX just washes the baseball car in terms of their coverage, whereas they wash, jet dry, wax, buzz and sparkle the football car and leave a scented tree to top it.

But going back to topic, it also bothers me how FOX never aligns their graphics packages for all of their sports. Everything was alright in late 2004, with FOX having this futuristic package-type for both the NFL and MLB that fall (let's call the package, "Warp," for the sound effects you would have heard):

dkV1bXp2blU5Z1kx_o_tom-brady-69-yards-dr

hqdefault.jpg

Then for the 2005 World Series, this particular set got a chrome finish and was applied to all leagues thereafter (let's call it "Chrome Warp," which to this day still irks me that they had such change):

wsws1.jpg

OPfJ7GB.png

But starting for the 2006 fall sporting season, things drastically changed. The NFL switched their package to this set (let's call it "Click," for the mousepad-click sound effect made when a team scored):

NFLonFOXscore0607.png

Soon, FOX gave the "Click" package to other leagues, like NASCAR. Yet, they stubbornly left the "Chrome Warp" package for MLB to use for the 2006 and 2007 postseasons, and wouldn't adopt "Click" to baseball until 2008.

But this isn't even the worst part. For the 2009 MLB season, FOX stripped MLB of "Click" and gave them this abomination of a package ("Letterbox"):

ws-2009.jpg

This hideous presentation was used for both the 2009 and 2010 seasons. Meanwhile, FOX kept "Click" until the end of the 2009 NFC Championship Game.

They, then, underwent an extreme makeover in time for their 2010 NFL coverage, changing their graphics to the current scheme. The one in 2010 is called, "Hubble-1":

4909106018_6a6d56abb0.jpg

FOX applied this package for MLB for 2011:

croppedbball-430x282.jpg

Then, for both the start of the 2012 NFL season and the 2012 MLB postseason, FOX finally synchronized the graphics update to "Hubble-2," the current graphics set (which I am impressed):

FoxGraphics.gif

ku-xlarge-3.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe we'll never know for sure, but FOX has been notorious with their shady treatment of MLB. It always seems that for every ounce of effort they put forward toward baseball, they give three ounces to the NFL, and the results could not be more apparent. From the announcers to the graphics, from the advertisement to scheduling, I always had a feeling FOX just washes the baseball car in terms of their coverage, whereas they wash, jet dry, wax, buzz and sparkle the football car and leave a scented tree to top it.

But going back to topic, it also bothers me how FOX never aligns their graphics packages for all of their sports. Everything was alright in late 2004, with FOX having this futuristic package-type for both the NFL and MLB that fall (let's call the package, "Warp," for the sound effects you would have heard):

hqdefault.jpg

Then for the 2005 World Series, this particular set got a chrome finish and was applied to all leagues thereafter (let's call it "Chrome Warp," which to this day still irks me that they had such change):

wsws1.jpg

OPfJ7GB.png

But starting for the 2006 fall sporting season, things drastically changed. The NFL switched their package to this set (let's call it "Click," for the mousepad-click sound effect made when a team scored):

NFLonFOXscore0607.png

Soon, FOX gave the "Click" package to other leagues, like NASCAR. Yet, they stubbornly left the "Chrome Warp" package for MLB to use for the 2006 and 2007 postseasons, and wouldn't adopt "Click" to baseball until 2008.

But this isn't even the worst part. For the 2009 MLB season, FOX stripped MLB of "Click" and gave them this abomination of a package ("Letterbox"):

ws-2009.jpg

This hideous presentation was used for both the 2009 and 2010 seasons. Meanwhile, FOX kept "Click" until the end of the 2009 NFC Championship Game.

They, then, underwent an extreme makeover in time for their 2010 NFL coverage, changing their graphics to the current scheme. The one in 2010 is called, "Hubble-1":

croppedbball-430x282.jpg

Then, for both the start of the 2012 NFL season and the 2012 MLB postseason, FOX finally synchronized the graphics update to "Hubble-2," the current graphics set (which I am impressed):

FoxGraphics.gif

ku-xlarge-3.jpg

The package FOX introduced in 2001 for NASCAR and then to MLB and NFL thereafter should be called "extend-and-retract", because of the animation of the scoreboard at the top of the screen when it was turned on (extends from very top of screen) or turned off (retracts to very top).

I wonder what nickname the graphics package from 2001 should get, maybe "pre-warp?"

I call it, "Banner." For fall 2001, FOX discontinued its original "FoxBox" rectangle in favor of a horizontal strip for both MLB and NFL:

0.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

In 2003, "Banner" was tweaked for MLB, with different sounds and motions (such as for the 2003 NLCS above). Meanwhile, "Banner" was dropped for the NFL, opting for "pre-Warp:"

NFL_on_FOX_score_banner.jpg

Things between the two leagues stood the same until late-2004, when "Warp" was applied (the last time before 2012 FOX synchronized the graphics update for both leagues).

I wonder what nickname the graphics package from 2001 should get, maybe "pre-warp?"

I call it, "Banner." For fall 2001, FOX discontinued its original "FoxBox" rectangle in favor of a horizontal strip for both MLB and NFL:

0.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

In 2003, "Banner" was tweaked for MLB, with different sounds and motions (such as for the 2003 NLCS above). Meanwhile, "Banner" was dropped for the NFL, opting for "pre-Warp:"

Things between the two leagues stood the same until late-2004, when "Warp" was applied (the last time before 2012 FOX synchronized the graphics update for both leagues).

0.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

"Warp" initially had the team logos with the abbreviations in white text when the 2004 NFL season started (call that version warp-1); when MLB dropped "Banner" in favor of "Warp" in time for the 2004 postseason, the team abbreviations were in dot-matrix display in the teams main color (warp-2). I think sometime after the 2004 World Series, NFL adopted "warp-2".

Also "banner" actually debuted in early 2001 for NASCAR and was applied to MLB at the start of its 2001 coverage and then applied to NFL.

hqdefault.jpg

wsws1.jpg

OPfJ7GB.png

NFLonFOXscore0607.png

ws-2009.jpg

croppedbball-430x282.jpg

FoxGraphics.gif

ku-xlarge-3.jpg

I wished FOX's MLB broadcasts used "Click" from 2008-2010 and not gone with that hideous "Letterbox" package in '09 just because FSN used it at the time.