The Battle of Markham

sparkychewbarky

Hi everyone.

It looks like (if there is to be another team in Toronto), Markham is the leading contender to be the location for an NHL franchise in the southern Ontario market.
With that in mind, I'm working on a couple of ideas for a Markham (Ontario) team.
I thought it would be fun to pit the two concepts against each other in a kind of mock battle......a "Battle of Markham", so to speak;

battle.jpg

This battle will be one of

- longships vs. canoes
- Odin's throne vs. the muskoka chair on my dock
- forged steel vs. some chewed-up wood
- Thor vs. Bucky
- Fierce vs. Fun.

It'll be kind of like this...

Versus this...

First up will be the opening clash of colours, names and word marks.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought "The Battle of Markham" was the team name, sort if like the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. I was so very confused and disappointed. Cant wait to see what you come up with.

Hi everyone.

It looks like (if there is to be another team in Toronto), Markham is the leading contender to be the location for an NHL franchise in the southern Ontario market.

With that in mind, I'm working on a couple of ideas for a Markham (Ontario) team.

I thought it would be fun to pit the two concepts against each other in a kind of mock battle......a "Battle of Markham", so to speak;

battle.jpg

This battle will be one of

- longships vs. canoes

- Odin's throne vs. the muskoka chair on my dock

- forged steel vs. some chewed-up wood

- Thor vs. Bucky

- Fierce vs. Fun.

It'll be kind of like this...

Versus this...

First up will be the opening clash of colours, names and word marks.

Markham a leading contender for an NHL. team in southern ontario don't make me laugh first of all there no chance the Leafs (MLSE.) will alow another team to take root in there yard thay sooner back a an NHL. team in Hamilton then before they ever do one in Toronto ( Markham ) . Second That so called arena they have planed for Markham is at best in limbo right now because Markham is going to have pay for most of it if not all the 400 million costs & I doubt Markham can come up with that kind of money from the taxpayers just Markham . I belive Markham would have to go to the provincial goverment for some of the fund they need to build that arena & I don't think the taxpayers of ontario want to fund another project for Markham (GTA.) so they can have another toy to play with .

Hamilton can't have a team not because of the Leafs but because of the Buffalo Sabres. They have dibs on the Hamilton area, don't ask why, they just do. The Leafs do not have a problem with it at all. Although I can't see Markham just getting an NHL team when its never had a major junior or semi-pro hockey team in it's entire existence. Even the demographics aren't good for a team. That aside, I'm sure if the arena gets built, there will be some AHL team or OHL or even CHL team first. Either way, this is a concept thread so anything is possible!

I was blown away by your Halifax Highlanders thread and I can't wait to see what you come with for Markham!! :)

Markham a leading contender for an NHL. team in southern ontario don't make me laugh first of all there no chance the Leafs (MLSE.) will alow another team to take root in there yard thay sooner back a an NHL. team in Hamilton then before they ever do one in Toronto ( Markham ) . Second That so called arena they have planed for Markham is at best in limbo right now because Markham is going to have pay for most of it if not all the 400 million costs & I doubt Markham can come up with that kind of money from the taxpayers just Markham . I belive Markham would have to go to the provincial goverment for some of the fund they need to build that arena & I don't think the taxpayers of ontario want to fund another project for Markham (GTA.) so they can have another toy to play with .

Translation: " :censored: you Sparky Chewbarky, you aren't allowed to make these concepts because I said so!"

Can't wait to see this, your concepts are some of the most fun to follow.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Thanks for the response guys.

1clktramg is right...for the sake of this exercise it really doesn't matter if it's Markham, Hamilton or Clappison's Corners.

This could be "The Battle of Campbell's Cross" for all that it matters.

There will be, at some time, another NHL team in the Golden Horseshoe (Southern Ontario) area.

There's just too much money that can be made for there NOT to be.

Recently Markham's been making the most noise, so, JMROWE, let's just play along and say it's Markham for now,

because, as you'll see, it really doesn't matter...

...Because, if it is Markham (or any other Toronto suburb), I'm suggesting that a second T.O. team call themselves "The Toronto Whatevers" or "The Ontario Whatevers".

I just think that any other locale (with the exception of Hamilton) may not have the kind of clout in the rest of Canada and the U.S., that a "Toronto" or "Ontario" monicker would have.

This Battle is a contest of identity, so to keep a level battlefield, I'm assigning both combatants the designation of "Ontario".

The opposing forces are assembling, and preparing, and have chosen their identities... their standards that they will be fighting under.

Sweeping down from the North we have...

The Ontario Northlanders

battlebacknl.jpg

...and, positioning themselves as the hometown favourites, we have...

The Ontario Beavers

battlebackbeevs.jpg

...up next, Primary and Secondary Logos.

I personally do think that Markham is behind Quebec City and Hamilton as relocation or expansion destinations, however, Your Halifax Highlanders concept was amazing and so well planned out, i can't wait for this and any future hockey franchise concepts you develop. I'm really interested in the Northlanders idea

Just one thing - I don't know if the Northlanders moniker should really be on a team placed in Southern Ontario. But then, I live in Northern Ontario. (And people in Wawa would say I don't even live in Northern Ontario).

Looks good so far. I love the style of the N in the Northlanders mark. The A looks a little weird to me... It's sort of teetering precariously on the L, which throws the balance off to me.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Your Halifax Highlanders concept was amazing and so well planned out, i can't wait for this and any future hockey franchise concepts you develop. I'm really interested in the Northlanders idea
Thanks Groves. The development on this is gonna be a little slow, but it's coming.
Just one thing - I don't know if the Northlanders moniker should really be on a team placed in Southern Ontario.
Good point Magnus. The Northlanders would be located further south than every Canadian franchise (and Minnesota) except for the Leafs. Stay tuned for the explanation of the name though. I think you'll find it interesting.
Northlanders is a pretty cool sounding name.I'm not too sure about the Beavers though, there was a team here in the UK that once called itself the Basingstoke Beavers, and they wondered why Canadians wouldn't play for them.
Hi wildwing. The "Beaver" reference to a part of the female anatomy was a slight concern for the Beavers Team, but they decided that the "snicker-snicker" association wasn't as big of deal as it may have been at one time. In fact, they're convinced that the Beavers name is a great name for a hockey team. Beavers work very hard in a team effort to get the job done. Ask any beaver and he'll tell you that the very first game of hockey was played on a frozen pond created by his ancestors. In fact beavers feel that they "rule the pond" which is an appropriate slogan for any hockey squad. Beavers don't flaunt their toughness, but don't be fooled. They're as tough as ironwood bark when they need to be. Did you ever read "Chip the Dam Builder" by Jim Kjelgaard when you were a kid?

Chip took down a big ugly Lynx. A LYNX!!!

Looks good so far. I love the style of the N in the Northlanders mark. The A looks a little weird to me... It's sort of teetering precariously on the L, which throws the balance off to me.
You're bang on Lafarge. I tried condensing the word because it's kinda long, but I went a bit too far. I'll resolve that later. Thanks L.

The Ontario Northlanders - Logos

What do Vikings and a famous Ontario passenger train have in common?

When the Northlanders contingent (before they became the Northlanders contingent) wanted to do a Viking-ish theme, they had trouble coming up with a name.

First of all, The Viking concept is a great theme; northern warriors, Thor, dragon ships, "wolves of the north", winged helmets, etc...Lots of great icons and images to use in marketing.

The Viking name however is pretty much "owned" by that NFL team.

While they were considering "Valkyries" and "Valhalla", young Dilbert remembered a historic passenger train called the "Northlander" which connected Toronto with Ontario's north at Cochrane.(an 11 hour train ride!!)

At that point you could board the Polar Bear Express to travel further north.

The Northlander was decommissioned by idiot premier Dalton McGinty in 2012, thus ending 110 years of railway history, and a part of Toronto's heritage.

The term "Northlanders" is also synonymous with the word "Vikings" thanks to the fantastic "Northlanders" books by Brian Wood.

And so "Northlanders" it was to be.

The following are some of the elements that inspired the "Northlanders" logos.

battlenlimages.jpg

The primary logo combines the elements of- a letter"N"- a letter "O"- with a spear pointing north- and stylized helmet wings or the prow of a ship.

"Northlanders" were often referred to as the "Wolves of the North" by their adversaries, and so a Nordic Wolf was designed as a secondary to be used as a shoulder patch.

The Ontario trillium, the province's official plant, is stylized in the same Nordic inter-twiny style as a third logo.

The logos are to be coloured in metallic golds, so they're designed in the open "lacework" style found on ancient Viking artifacts, on a black background, to enhance the metallic look.

battlelogosnl.jpg

It is important to note that although the primary logo and "Wolf" secondary are completely original designs, the "nordic trillium" logo is almost a complete copy of the logo found at the end of this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPNjWWQqWCA

That logo however, is almost a complete copy of the traditional celtic knot, so I think that everything's o.k.

It should also be noted that a large number of the Northlanders unit feel that the "Nordic Wolf" secondary...should be the primary. Hmmmm...Any thoughts?...

The Ontario Beavers will counter with their salvo of logos on Monday or Tuesday.

Have a great weekend guys.

The wolf looks a bit like a dragon.. But the N logo is definitely the best of the three, and makes the best primary. Awesome job. If in the future the Nordiques return, I do think Northlanders would be a bit too close.

I really like these logos. I agree with nas that the N logo is definitely the most polished of the bunch. However, I would love to see the Wolf logo as a main crest.

With that being said, I also agree that the Wolf looks dragon-like. From what I am seeing, I think it has to do with the mouth/snout area. To me, the mouth seems too-jagged for a wolf. I'm assuming those are meant to represent teeth, but it looks kind of beak like to me, sort of like a a dragon's. I really don't know how you'd be able to fix that...

The snout also throws me off a bit. It appears like a 3/4-view while the rest of the logo is clearly a side view. I think the issue there is the... stem? I don't know how to describe it... It is just above the mouth and only attaches at one end. Anyways, I find that and the nose look like two nostrils, and less like a wolf nose. I think this could be fixed by removing that stem, or changing its shape so it looks less like the nose itself.

The wolf looks a bit like a dragon.. But the N logo is definitely the best of the three, and makes the best primary. Awesome job. If in the future the Nordiques return, I do think Northlanders would be a bit too close.

I really like these logos. I agree with nas that the N logo is definitely the most polished of the bunch. However, I would love to see the Wolf logo as a main crest.

With that being said, I also agree that the Wolf looks dragon-like. From what I am seeing, I think it has to do with the mouth/snout area. To me, the mouth seems too-jagged for a wolf. I'm assuming those are meant to represent teeth, but it looks kind of beak like to me, sort of like a a dragon's. I really don't know how you'd be able to fix that...

The snout also throws me off a bit. It appears like a 3/4-view while the rest of the logo is clearly a side view. I think the issue there is the... stem? I don't know how to describe it... It is just above the mouth and only attaches at one end. Anyways, I find that and the nose look like two nostrils, and less like a wolf nose. I think this could be fixed by removing that stem, or changing its shape so it looks less like the nose itself.

Well there ya go... The beauty of the board.

The wolf logo looked alright to me, because I knew what it was supposed to be...a side view of a wolf with some nordic-swirl styling on the side of the muzzle and head.

It took a fresh set(s) of eyes from nas and Lafarge to point out that the swirl formed a beak with a nostril which gave the wolf a weird sort of freakish Picasso look.

...And you guys were right, because now when I look at the old logo, that's all I see; a dragon-like, distorted wolf.

I notified the Northlanders creative team and they corrected the problem (I think);

And Lafarge... they also tweaked the "A" in the wordmark.

Thanks for the input guys.

nllogos2.jpg

Now THAT looks great! I absolutely love the updated logo. Can't wait to see it as the crest on the alternate (I'm making an educated guess based on your descriptions)

The Sheldon in me loves the train bit of the story. Now I'm quite happy with it all. I do like the wolf identity the best, though.

Archived