2nd Favorite Teams

AJpackers

I was wondering what you guys thought of having a second favorite team in a particular sport. I've seen reactions from people as extreme as having a second favorite team for every sport all the way to seeing it being worse than switching allegiances. Personally I have a second favorite team in the two sports I follow most closely (NFL and college football), but not for other sports.

Also, if anyone has second favorite teams feel free to name them and tell why you root for them. Mine are the Colts (because I've lived in Indiana since I was 2 years old) and LSU (because I like Les Miles's risky play-calling and their exciting brand of football, esp 2006-2011).

Green Bay Packers: 9x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 4x Super Bowl Champions, 3x NFC Champions

Indianapolis Colts: 2x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 2x Super Bowl Champions, 3x AFC Champions

Michigan Wolverines football: 11x National Champions, 8x Rose Bowl Champions, 3x Citrus/Capital One Bowl Champions

Detroit Tigers: 4x World Series Champions, 11x AL Pennant Winners

Detroit Pistons: 3x NBA Champions, 5x Eastern Conference Champions

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NFL:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Chicago Bears

NBA:

1. Los Angeles Clippers

2. Charlotte Hornets

MLB:

1. New York Yankees

2. Atlanta Braves

NHL: I'm going to start following next season, might start with Pens as 2nd favorites, Ducks as favorite

NCAA: I really like both Miami of Ohio and Iowa equally

Minor Leagues:

MWL:

1. Cedar Rapids Kernels

2. Quad Cities River Bandits

USHL:

1. Cedar Rapids RoughRiders

2. Dubuque Fighting Saints

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

I've seen reactions from people as extreme as having a second favorite team for every sport all the way to seeing it being worse than switching allegiances.

Sports "morality" can be a weird thing.

NFL: Saints

NCAA: Miami. Alma mater's gotta be #1. Go Dawgs!

NBA: Raptors. This is from listening to The Basketball Jones and hearing an inordinate amount of Raptors news.

PJU85JF.png

Mrs Jaffa and I go along to nearby non-League outfit Bridlington Town a couple of times a season when Hull City aren't playing. The crowd barely breaks into triple figures, but they do a decent pint of mild and I think it's important to show a bit of support for your local non-League clubs.

64wj.jpg

That aside, I have family in the Netherlands so I keep an eye on the fortunes of their local side PEC Zwolle.

NHL: LA Kings

MLB: Texas Rangers

NBA: Utah Jazz

NFL: St. Louis Rams

NCAAB: Creighton Blue Jays

NCAAF: South Carolina Gamecocks

AHL: St. John`s Icecaps

FIFA: Croatia

CFL: Toronto Argos

OHL: Niagara Icedogs

WHL: Victoria Royals

QMJHL: Rouyn-Noranda Huskies

Minor League Baseball: Pensacola Blue Wahoos

IIHF: Norway

MLS: Montreal Impact

NBAD: Tulsa Bighorns

NLL: Toronto Rock

Now that both Nebraska and Mizzou have bailed from the Big 12, I actually can like the Tigers a teensy bit. Of course that's based on my family being originally from STL and most of them also being big Cards and Rams fans.

Oddly enough, I also like the Seahawks (slightly) even though they're in the same division as my Rams.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

NHL

First team: Toronto

Second team: Edmonton

MLB

Second team: Arizona

NFL

First team: San Diego

Second team: Arizona

CFL

First team: Hamilton

Second team: Edmonton

NBA

Second team: Utah

CHL

First team: Kitchener

Second team: Halifax

MLB

1. Detroit Tigers

2. None

NFL

1. Detroit Lions

2. Pittsburgh Steelers

NHL

1. Detroit Red Wings

2. Toronto Maple Leafs

ECHL

1. Kalamazoo Wings

2. Fort Wayne Komets

Junior Hockey

1. Port Huron Fighting Falcons (NAHL)

2. Saginaw Spirit (OHL)

NCAA

1. Central Michigan Chippewas

2. Michigan Wolverines

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

With soccer there's quite a bit because of the variety of leagues. Tottenham's my number one, but then I'm also a fan of Celtic, Dortmund, and NY Red Bulls (sadly I can't switch from them because NYCFC has that Yankee-Man City connection which means I'm stuck womp womp).

In the NFL I also like to see the Giants do well, even though their fans have gotten quite annoying in recent years.

With college football I usually root for Notre Dame because my grandmother's a big fan of them

In college lacrosse I root for programs my friends are a part of, so oddly enough as a Syracuse grad you'll see me cheering for Albany and Princeton when they aren't playing Cuse (the latter is borderline sacrilegious, I know)

The NBA's weird where I don't really follow it too much regular season, so I'm a Net fan but I'm also a big Carmelo fan from his days at Cuse so I'm sort of a Knick fan too.

Everything else I might jump on a bandwagon come playoff time, but otherwise that's that

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

NHL:

1. Bruins

2. Blackhawks

MLB:

1. Red Sox

2. Blue Jays

NFL:

1. Patriots

2. 49ers

NBA:

1. Celtics

2. I don't follow basketball enough to have a second favorite team, but I kinda like the Spurs

Club Soccer:

1. AC Milan

2. Bayern Munich

3. Chelsea

International Soccer:

1. Germany

2. Italy

NCAA:

1. Michigan State

2. Florida

CHL:

1. Mississauga Steelheads

2. Halifax Mooseheads

NHL:

1: Senators

2: Stars

NBA:

1: Thunder

2: Raptors

MLB:

1: Blue Jays

2: Rangers

NFL:

1: Bears

2: Patriots

EPL:

1: Chelsea

2: Spurs

CHL:

1: 67's

2: Olympiques

CFL:

1: Roughriders/soon to be Redblacks (I'M GOING TO BE CONFUSED)

2: Blue Bombers

I'm not a "fan" of any teams but my own (Mets/Jets/Rangers), though of course there are teams I don't mind being successful and would always root for against any other opponent than my own allegiance.

For instance, I used to live in San Diego, so sure, go Padres. But if they face the Mets, not quite. That sort of thing.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

NBA: Dallas Mavericks/Phoenix Suns/LA Lakers: Loved the Nash-Dirk era the Mavs had in the early 2000s, and ever since they separated I have really rooted for the Mavs and what ever team Steve Nash is on.

NFL: Kansas City Chiefs: One of my close friends was born just outside of KC, and I have always cheered for them just because there aren't too many Cheifs fans in Jersey.

MLB: Baltimore Orioles: Similar story. One of my high school teachers always talked about the O's during class, so I cheered for them just to get some extra credit.

NHL: Chicago Blackhawks: Same scenario. I have family in Chicago, and I go to Blackhawks games frequently when I see them.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Archived