HFBoards Bad Comment Aggregator Thread

Mike discussed the Lightning ... DOES THAT MEAN A NEW EDITION OF BOLTS TALK ON THIS WEEKS BASS?!?!?!

I jest, but I love Bolts Talk. The Lightning are always interesting. And I say that in the best possible way.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irrelevant? Eh, I wouldn't think we would go that far. On the topic of sports logos (since that's why we're on this site) the NHL had no clue how to do merchandise or marketing when the Sharks arrived in 1991. The team was so successful merchandise wise that it only trailed the NBA champion Chicago Bulls in sales. For a team that was 17-58-5, pretty damn good. Or the even worse 11-71-2 in season two. The league let the teams do their own thing with no rules or protocol. The NHL didn't set that up until years later. After that you saw the Mighty Ducks go crazy with the Disney tie-in. Then other teams experimented with looks to try to cash in (the Fisherman, the Caps' swooping eagle, Sabres with the black, red moniker or even the Buffaslug)

On the ice? Oh sure, we've had a doozy of craploads laid on us. Even then, whether it was the Cow Palace for two years or the Shark Tank, the place has been close to full throughout the team's existence. It's not like Phoenix, Florida, the dark days of the Oilers, Jets. And sure,we don't have the history of an original six or Canadian team to thrive on. But it works here. Part of which is why the team was game for with it's other rivals to do an AHL Pacific Division. (While I despise the logo for the Barracuda sponsored by Barracuda)

As for class and professionalism, heh we'll tell Doug to shut his mouth, to quote Joe Thornton. They've made dumb moves on and off the ice, then again which team hasn't made bad moves or have chinks in the armor? Seguin for Kessel? Thornton for Sturm, Primeau, and Stuart? Some guy to the Seals for Guy LaFleur? Uniform change for performance based? Eh, sure hasn't stopped others with waist stripes.

Canada has and always will have the passion beyond everyone else. While we yearn and wish for more growth of the game in the Bay Area, we have embraced the game.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Yes but the point is, fans of other teams aren't making these proclamations, and unless I'm misinterpreting your post, are you saying the Mighty Ducks, the Fisherman, the Eagle and the Sabres changes and were because of the Sharks initial success merchandising?

Because there was an article I posted on the boards a while ago about the Mighty Ducks tie in to Disney and it said there was a period when Mighty Ducks merchandise was over $1 billion in sales and higher than the rest of the league combined.

IEI5Tg1.png

While we yearn and wish for more growth of the game in the Bay Area, we have embraced the game.

That's great and all but for most Sharks fans it seems as though embracing the game has taken a backseat to embracing themselves.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Monkey, what I was saying was the Sharks merchandise boom that started in '91 was so huge when the Ducks came in which they were more massive thanks to the Disney tie-in, led to other teams changing logos and jerseys and introducing third jerseys for more revenue. After 1993, who didn't alter their logo, jerseys, numerals etc? Maybe Detroit has had the same look since the Sharks arrived and only stuck to what they've had?

Admiral, I'm not quite sure what you mean by embracing themselves. Meaning they care more about hockey than they do themselves?

Admiral, I'm not quite sure what you mean by embracing themselves. Meaning they care more about hockey than they do themselves?

Other way around: there's not a fanbase that's more self-congratulatory about being customers than Sharks fans. (Jets fans are close, but always seem humbled by the fact that they have to live in Winnipeg.) I mean, look at that guy's essay: "sure, we don't go to the Stanley Cup Final like the Ducks do, but look at how we play in the team's rec league! Boom, bitch!" No, not boom.

If we're doing favorite Sharks memories mine is when they lost to 8 seeded Colorado in OT in the playoffs on an own goal.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not boom at all. I will say though some may consider needing to state the rec league or biggest ice facility west of Mississippi because many critics have stated in the past there are no fans, it doesn't belong here, they don't deserve hockey yada yada yada. Lest we forget one notorious member who was rooting against Tampa and SJ in 2004 because they don't deserve the Cup.

Oh, what a strawman (late October back in '63?). The Sharks have never been under the same level of scrutiny as other warm-weather teams, at least not in the last 14 years that I've been following the NHL and its related grievances. Talking about how great the Sharks organization is has just become what Sharks fans do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ooh, the HFBoards Bad Thought Aggregator is quietly roaring back!

HFBoards is also celebrating the recent milestones of their southwestern overlord.

And user "ecemleafs" isn't buying any of your Bobby Orr propaganda!

doan > orr AINEC. more points in a tougher era. anyone cud score back when orr played.
On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• 3 weeks later...

Peter Forsberg: a dong among men?

Forsberg was not only great in the play-offs though. In the late nineties, he usually had a hot start. So did Joe. In both 95/96 and 96/97 seasons, Sakic and Forsberg were the scoring leaders for a while. In the 96/97 one, they were leading the league in points as late as 25 games in, with 40 each (if memory serves me well). This equity of points between them often puzzled me. As if they‘d had some kind of deal.

Anyway, after a hot start, Peter would slow down. He functioned like a dong, really. All hot and big at the start, then shrink, cool off, refill and by the play-offs, get big and hard again. Or maybe it was that mysterious foot of his? By the time his foot shrank, so did Peter? I only wonder how he dealt with it off the rink.

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct, thank god someone else is. The US has been victim to a massive disinformation campaign about oral tobacco and recently snus. I learned about snus before the FDA heard of it so it was easy to find the real information on it, such as the fact that Swedish processing leaves no significant carcinogens, and that the Swedish Experience shows no disease statistically correlated to snus. 

Now the tobacco control industry has spent millions on propaganda and people think snus causes cancer and you can hardly find a truthful article anywhere.

Even American style oral tobacco has little conclusive evidence of causing oral cancer. When I found that out it blew my mind. Made me question everything I have heard about tobacco. Turns out even the case against second-hand smoke also has been overstated.

Smoking is far and away the largest risk factor for oral cancer and oral tobacco instead of smoking cuts your oral cancer risk to near nothing.

Archived