Football uniforms through the decades ('40s updated, 1950's added)

Julius Seizure

This is the first of many templates I plan on doing for each decade. I started with the 40s because I wanted to render the old MacGregor High Crown helmet that Notre Dame wore in the late 40s-early 50s. It was hard to find a definitive tailoring to go by, so I guesstimated.

If anyone has c&c, have at it. Like I said, I want to do each decade, and I want em to look right!

1940sThrowback_zpsef6a7e51.jpg

Founder and Commissioner, World Gridiron

Damn, this is good stuff man. One bit of critique if I had any would be to adjust the legs so the knee pad doesn't cut in so dramatically. That's the only thing that's sticking out to me right now -- can't wait to see more of these!

You my man are one talented individual! Much like the helmet project sites that popped up awhile back a series like this would make a great foundation to build a historical uniform reference from. Thanks for sharing!

Sorry for the delay, guys

Here's an update. I added two helmet and jersey styles, the two helmets are the MacGregor H618 and the H620. So many different helmets were worn in the early days, but these two designs seemed to be the most common in the 40s. The H620 (on the green uniform) started to surface around '44-'45, and the other style on the right came out in the late '30s, and was worn throughout the entire 40s.

Like I mentioned before, the tailoring on the jersey and pants are mostly guesswork. It was tough to find hi-res pictures of any pieces to go off of.

Hopefully this will be as much fun for you guys as it was for me! Fire away if you have any c&c

Paper-Display_zps313bc3fb.jpg

@nbryant: I changed a little bit of the original. Just some minor vector changes on the contours of the jersey and pants, I re-did the helmets completely, and if you notice, there's two diff. styles of jersey too.

I'm actually thinking of selling these for 5 bucks a piece on a hosting site. They took a lot of work, and I feel like that is a fair enough price. I might put every decade on one file at a discounted rate. I don't know how well that will be recieved, but this is a lot of work for me to just give it away. Let me know what you guys think and If you'd actually be willing to pay that price for these.

Here's the 1950s: The best part about this decade was all the experimentation with facemasks. I had to include the clear lucite mask made famous by Paul Brown. There isn't that much change in the uniform, the jersey sleeves were a bit shorter, and the waistline on the pants lowered some.

Bring forth the suggestions and c&c!

50s_zpse3a6d9c7.jpg

@nbryant: I changed a little bit of the original. Just some minor vector changes on the contours of the jersey and pants, I re-did the helmets completely, and if you notice, there's two diff. styles of jersey too.

I'm actually thinking of selling these for 5 bucks a piece on a hosting site. They took a lot of work, and I feel like that is a fair enough price. I might put every decade on one file at a discounted rate. I don't know how well that will be recieved, but this is a lot of work for me to just give it away. Let me know what you guys think and If you'd actually be willing to pay that price for these.

I think that's a great idea, man. Especially with the level of detail you've put into this. GraphicRiver could get you some really solid exposure, though I'm not sure how their pricing/royalty payment structure works. I'd pay!

I think that's a great idea, man. Especially with the level of detail you've put into this. GraphicRiver could get you some really solid exposure, though I'm not sure how their pricing/royalty payment structure works. I'd pay!

Yes I agree these are way too good just to give away as long as the price was reasonable I see no reason why someone who desired to create concepts would not pay.

Archived