Photo

Oldest Company Logos in America

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BgMack27

BgMack27
  • U of Florida '03 (Telecomm) - FAU '08/'14 (MBA/MHA)

• Members
  • 3,536 posts
    • Location:Born in Palo Alto, CA - left immediately for Milwaukee, WI - then Ft. Lauderdale, FL - then Atlanta, GA - back to FL again - then Chicago, IL, now West Palm Beach, FL....it's a long story....

• Favourite Logos:I like a lot of the logos from the early 90s. My signature is proof of that (and a representation of my favorite teams).

Posted June 18, 2013 - 17:44

Kind of a neat story:

http://finance.yahoo...-175348145.html

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown

CCSLCNewResized_zps2e938cd9.png

Check out my articles on jerseys at BaconSports.com - twitter-mini-logo.png - instagram-logo-copy.gif - LinkedIn_Logo16px.png

#2 illwauk

illwauk
  • "Hey, up yours Springfield!"

• Members
  • 6,865 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 18:53

Interesting read, but some of the examples were reaches.... especially Union Pacific, and John Deere.

Bucks34Tradition1_zpse4b77760.png

(Yes, I'm a Bucks fan again... provided the new owners don't find a way to f~~k this up.)

#3 EddieJ1984

EddieJ1984

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 19:08

Yea John Deere definitely isn't really the same at all.

#4 theSLVRBCK

theSLVRBCK

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 14:18

I understand what that they were trying to show logos that had maintained key elements to their design over the years, but to me, if you change the design as much as John Deere and Union Pacific has, then it is not the same logo and shouldn't be on this list.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

#5 Quillz

Quillz
  • Enlightened

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

• Favourite Logos:Angels
      Blue Jays
      Dodgers
      Rams

Posted June 19, 2013 - 19:41

Surprised the P&G "man on the moon" logo wasn't mentioned. They don't use it on public branding anymore, but it still exists on their shipping boxes.

#6 leggman01

leggman01

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 22:01

I understand what that they were trying to show logos that had maintained key elements to their design over the years, but to me, if you change the design as much as John Deere and Union Pacific has, then it is not the same logo and shouldn't be on this list.

agree...mostly on-topic, there is a great history of the john deere logo here http://www.deere.com...trademarks.page - the mark has changed pretty dramatically over the years...
Posted Image

#7 Stampman

Stampman
  • CCSLC award winner

• Members
  • 9,220 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 23:59

John Deere still has a leaping deer as their logo--sure the colour has been added, and the details have changed--but at it's heart, it's a leaping deer, I'd say it counts for the purpose of the list.

i don't think their intention was to be as detailed or as picky as some of you.
Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

#8 pcgd

pcgd

• Members
  • 7,278 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 08:14

See I'd be far more interested in what the oldest actual logo still in use is. For that its Johnson & Johnson, and GE and almost Coca-Cola and Dupont.

Still a cool list for sure.

#9 EddieJ1984

EddieJ1984

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:26

John Deere still has a leaping deer as their logo--sure the colour has been added, and the details have changed--but at it's heart, it's a leaping deer, I'd say it counts for the purpose of the list.

i don't think their intention was to be as detailed or as picky as some of you.

Thats like saying the timberwolves have always had the head of a timber wolf as their logo, so its the same!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 pianoknight

pianoknight

• Members
  • 1,775 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 15:27

I will disagree on Union Pacific, but only because that article only showed the first logo from 1886. Within about 18 months, the railroad adopted a logo that is nearly identical to today.

For what it's worth, UP's website has a fantastic historical section on their various logos over the years.
http://www.up.com/ab...plogo/index.htm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2002-present
Posted Image

5 National Titles. 9 Undefeated Seasons. 50 Bowl Appearances. 43 Conference Championships. 10 Division Titles.

uQegTQ6.png
3 Heisman Winners. 54 Consensus All-Americans. 28 Major Award Winners. 23 College Football Hall of Famers.

There is No Place Like Nebraska.

#11 Funky Bunky

Funky Bunky
  • Suspended

• Banned
  • 3,025 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 03:26

I always thought the Prudential logo was a mountain, not a rock. Now the Prudential Center nickname makes more sense!