Redoing the MLB... With a twist

GriffinM6

This is something that I've been working on for about a week now. I'm going to try and make uniforms for the current MLB teams, but here's the catch, I'm going to make uniforms starting all the way back to the beginning of that team's(not franchise's history). If a particular team was around before 1900 however, I'm not going to do the uniforms from the start of their history, but instead start with 1900. This is going to be something that will be gradual and not rushed. Be prepared to see some radical, and very simple designs(especially from the early days).

What I'm going to do, is feature one team per week. I'm going to start by how old the team is, so that means the Reds will be first. One thing you'll find interesting with the Reds, is that I'm going to start their uniforms with 1869, just because they were the first MLB team. Almost every day, I'm going to show the Home, Away, or alternates if there are any from a certain time frame for that team. Hope to keep you guys entertained!

7/2 - Cincinnati Reds 1869-1899

Home

Cincy1869-1899Home_zps75a2f6ce.png

Away

Cincy1869-1899Away_zps9ec34ecb.png

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel that with concepts of this simplicity it would make the series much more interesting and enjoyable if you presented each teams' entire modified uniform history all in one post/graphic, even if that means one post of several uniform sets per week instead of one post each day of one uniform set. You'll also get much more C&C that way; it's hard to give C&C to a simple concept such as this, but if you compile a complete team uniform history in one post, this will get much more attention.

25yzwqg.png

I know it's a concept and thus you can do whatever you want, but numbers weren't included on baseball jerseys until much later, some time in the Babe Ruth era if I remember right.

Again, in the Griffin-Universe you can introduce numbers at the first baseball game ever if you want, but in the early years of the Prime Universe game there were no names or numbers (this is another reason why dropping a whole team at a time might be fun, because a blank white shirt with a letter or word on it is hard to C&C).

But this idea is great! I'm looking forward to seeing which teams maintain a coherent identity throughout history and which ones change looks often.

Grunge-Logos.png

I know it's a concept and thus you can do whatever you want, but numbers weren't included on baseball jerseys until much later, some time in the Babe Ruth era if I remember right.

Again, in the Griffin-Universe you can introduce numbers at the first baseball game ever if you want, but in the early years of the Prime Universe game there were no names or numbers (this is another reason why dropping a whole team at a time might be fun, because a blank white shirt with a letter or word on it is hard to C&C).

But this idea is great! I'm looking forward to seeing which teams maintain a coherent identity throughout history and which ones change looks often.

Numbers on the uniforms was first used by the Indians in 1916, but the Yankees were the first to use numbers on a regular basis (in 1929) to indicate batting order. That is why Ruth was # 3 and Gehrig was #4

the flannel is a little dark and i have a question. Are these the real uniforms or concept uniforms?

These are concepts. The flannel was the lightest and most realistic I could find.

make the uniform white, and then change the opacity of the flannel

Thanks for the tip. First post is edited with lighter colored road uniform.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Day two for the Reds. These uniforms are from 1900-1913. I decided to use the block C the Reds began using in 1900 with this. One thing you'll notice with Reds as I go along with them, is that they will barely change. IMO, they are one of those teams that should only make slight changes every decade or so.

Home

CincyHome1900-1913_zpsd56d2da8.png

Away

CincyAway1900-1913_zps991c85ff.png

spacer.png

Day 3 for the Reds. These uniforms are from 1914-1930. I want to have the Reds use the C-REDS for most of their history, and I did just that. The elongated C is also used for the first time on this set.

Home

CincyHome1920-1930_zps08f4372a.png

Away

CincyAway1920-1930_zps79b604ec.png

spacer.png

Day 4 for the Reds. These uniforms are from 1931-1954. I know this look is similar the Cardinals at this time, but there will be more differences between the two once I get to St.Louis. Plus there is a nice Tuscan font for the numbers.

Home

CincyHome1931-1954_zpsded03d2c.png

Away

CincyAway1931-1954_zps90fd5350.png

spacer.png

I like the Tuscan font. It is a nice fit with the script. I think the reason not very many people are commenting is because there really isn't much to say. These are all solid looking uniforms but it's tough to critique uniforms from this time period. I'm sure people will have more to say once you progress in time. I think this is a really cool idea!

sport-scarf_reds_zpsbb317600.png

Thanks for the kind words Camly.

Here's day 5 for the Reds. I'm going to post 2 uniform sets today, so I can get the Reds done by Monday.

This first set is from 1954-1959. It's an iteration of the Modern Reds uniforms, but with a Tuscan font and no chest piping.

Home

CincyHome1955-59_zps505bdff4.png

Away

CincyAway1955-59_zpsf3fb1917.png

These uniforms are from 1960-1990. I think the Reds are a classic team, and should keep a classic look for most of their history.

Home

Cincy1960-90Home_zps0676bebf.png

Away

Cincy1960-90Away_zps7ee6c400.png

spacer.png

Archived