Rarely seen jerseys

kw11333

Not a jersey, but the Chiefs throwback helmet:

(Picture removed)

Now that is one hell of a helmet. They need to switch back to that simplistic beauty.

Why would they switch back to that? They don't play in Dallas anymore.

Yea why would they do that? The Kansas City Texans....also I believe the chiefs have a pretty simplistic helmet design that is great only other thing you could be talking about is the vaunted grey face mask!! Nooooooooo

I've often thought the Texans should use that same design (in their colors with the star on Houston instead, obviously) if they ever did a fauxback.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Picture removed)

Now that is one hell of a helmet. They need to switch back to that simplistic beauty.

Yea why would they do that? The Kansas City Texans....also I believe the chiefs have a pretty simplistic helmet design that is great only other thing you could be talking about is the vaunted grey face mask!! Nooooooooo

I've often thought the Texans should use that same design (in their colors with the star on Houston instead, obviously) if they ever did a fauxback.

Texans need a complete and total rebrand. They have the dumbest and laziest name in all of professional sports. It was lame the first time in Dallas and even more so now.

(Picture removed)

Texans need a complete and total rebrand. They have the dumbest and laziest name in all of professional sports. It was lame the first time in Dallas and even more so now.

They have one of the best logos in the league and very good uniforms when they wear their red socks. I can tolerate the name as long as their logo and uniforms look as good as they do.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

chase-utley.jpg

The first year the Phillies wore the cream home alternates, they never created blue helmets to match the blue cap worn with the uniform.

That's so jarring. I completely forgot about that. Its not a bad look on its own, actually, but the blue hat is far superior.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

458820713_f6b2e1e176_o.jpg

Wow.

No words. Except wow. And no words. And and...

Wow. I had totally forgotten about that one. Was it the late '90s when that made an appearance as an alternate for a year or two?

458820713_f6b2e1e176_o.jpg

Wow.

No words. Except wow. And no words. And and...

Wow. I had totally forgotten about that one. Was it the late '90s when that made an appearance as an alternate for a year or two?

Nah. Mid 2000's

I saw a red Pirates shirt/jersey last time I was at a Buccos game, and I commented on "you don't see that ketchup alternate much anymore" (It was referred to as the Heinz Ketchup alternate locally, though I don't think there was any official sponsorship to it)

Then we realized it said "Piratas", the spanish version, and someone else near me said "Looks like it's the salsa alternate"

Idk if they ever wore a Spanish red alt, but the shirt exists. Can't find a photo of either.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

2001 White Sox Sunday Home Alternate (1917 World Series Throwbacks):

211874594_a05edf8d8c_z.jpg

And, of course, the one that makes so many of us squeal like little girls:

08_ThrowbackJersey.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

(Picture removed)

Boy am I embarassed! I mean't to say that a Texas team should switch back to that helmet, not Kansas City. My apologies.

(Picture removed)

I mean, what in today's world constitutes being a "Texan?" Seriously.

Not defending the name because I think it was the lazy way out but the identity is one of the better ones in the nfl and as a fan I was very glad that they went with the blue helmet instead of the white one. The huge logo on the helmet is great and that's me speaking as a uniform geek not as a fan. I do not like the white jersey blue pant look I'd much rather see the all white look being permanent and then using the blue white and blue blue combos

• 1 year later...

I got a doozy of one, one that I don't believe any photos exist for: The King Clancy Day Leafs Green Sweater

Clancy, who had always been an offensive star from his defense position (in 1923-24, he finished in the NHL's top ten scorers and led the league with 8 assists) enjoyed his two best offensive seasons in 1932-33 (25 points) and 1933-34 (28 points). In 1933, King was a Second Team All-Star while he was selected to the First Team in 1934. That same year, the Maple Leafs honoured their star with a special night, celebrating his contributions to the team. "Whenever I think back to March 17, 1934 and how the Maple Leafs honoured me with a 'night,' I'm still amazed at the work they went to just for me," Clancy humbly stated. "They gave me the greatest tribute an individual could ever hope to get. I didn't do anything to deserve it. They must have banded together and said, 'He's an Irishman. Let's give him a night,'" Clancy chuckled. King was dressed in a specially-created green Leafs sweater with a shamrock on the back where his number 7 would usually be seen. A series of Irish icons were pulled onto the ice — a giant pipe with teammate Ken Doraty, a huge top hat with Baldy Cotton followed by Joe Primeau on a super-sized harp and a monstrous shamrock that held opponent Bill Cook. "When my turn finally came, the lights were all turned out and, dressed in royal robes and wearing a crown, I was ushered in on a big throne pulled by Hap Day. As the float reached the middle of the rink, I got hit in the face with a handful of soot from (Hap) Day and (Charlie) Conacher. When the lights came on, I looked like Santa Claus but my face was pitch black. It took me two or three days to get that stuff off. This was a wonderful night to give anybody and I have wonderful memories of it. There is also a grandfather's clock at home which is worth more than any amount of money because of the inscription on it: 'From the Toronto Maple Leafs to King Clancy on St. Patrick's Night 1934.'"

one_clancy03.jpg

The Toronto Maple Leafs honoured their star defenseman with a special night on St. Patrick's Day, 1934. Lester Patrick of the opposing Rangers objected to Clancy's wearing of a green sweater, so King changed back to his traditional blue and white after the first period.

And for good measure, these beauties:

79.jpg

Sorry to revive this thread but would you believe this sweater turned up for an auction a few years ago??!

preview_428_34837.jpg

http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.aspx?tabid=263&auctionid=52&lotid=428

The Catch of the Day!

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I thought these one-year-wonders 1997 Edmonton Oilers jerseys were fantastic. No idea why they ditched the shouldersEdmontonOilersHome1996-1997.jpgBut they're so rare that I couldn't even find a photo of them in action, just the jerseys themselves.

It reminds me of when the Blues added red... not a terrible look, but completely unnecessary.
I hope you're talking about the shoulders and not the colors. A team called the Oilers should be wearing dark, grimy colors. Personally I'm not a fan of the shoulders. I think the set they wore from 97-98 to 06-07 is perfection.

Personally, I thought these one-year-wonders 1997 Edmonton Oilers jerseys were fantastic. No idea why they ditched the shouldersEdmontonOilersHome1996-1997.jpgBut they're so rare that I couldn't even find a photo of them in action, just the jerseys themselves.

It reminds me of when the Blues added red... not a terrible look, but completely unnecessary.
I hope you're talking about the shoulders and not the colors. A team called the Oilers should be wearing dark, grimy colors. Personally I'm not a fan of the shoulders. I think the set they wore from 97-98 to 06-07 is perfection.

coverangle.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

coverangle.jpg

Unrelated to this thread, but

Marchant.jpg

So good.

Archived