Rarely seen jerseys

kw11333

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about the Mavericks' one-game silver unis?

dal_uni_06.jpg

2003-10-30-inside-mavs.jpg

Ah,the Hefty bag Mavs. Those were atrocious.

I never quite understood why the Mavericks had a jersey with the full team name as this rare alternate. I never understood why they never put the team name on their home-white and away-blue unis (navy blue, then later the current powder blue), opting for the city name.

And for the record, the way these silver Mavs alternates were presented in NBA Live 2004, it made it look like pressed metal, ala the early 1990s Nets road jerseys.

I still have never seen that blue alternate on the defensive side of the ball. Was ot really paired with a silver-billed cap?

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

I got a doozy of one, one that I don't believe any photos exist for: The King Clancy Day Leafs Green Sweater

Clancy, who had always been an offensive star from his defense position (in 1923-24, he finished in the NHL's top ten scorers and led the league with 8 assists) enjoyed his two best offensive seasons in 1932-33 (25 points) and 1933-34 (28 points). In 1933, King was a Second Team All-Star while he was selected to the First Team in 1934. That same year, the Maple Leafs honoured their star with a special night, celebrating his contributions to the team. "Whenever I think back to March 17, 1934 and how the Maple Leafs honoured me with a 'night,' I'm still amazed at the work they went to just for me," Clancy humbly stated. "They gave me the greatest tribute an individual could ever hope to get. I didn't do anything to deserve it. They must have banded together and said, 'He's an Irishman. Let's give him a night,'" Clancy chuckled. King was dressed in a specially-created green Leafs sweater with a shamrock on the back where his number 7 would usually be seen. A series of Irish icons were pulled onto the ice — a giant pipe with teammate Ken Doraty, a huge top hat with Baldy Cotton followed by Joe Primeau on a super-sized harp and a monstrous shamrock that held opponent Bill Cook. "When my turn finally came, the lights were all turned out and, dressed in royal robes and wearing a crown, I was ushered in on a big throne pulled by Hap Day. As the float reached the middle of the rink, I got hit in the face with a handful of soot from (Hap) Day and (Charlie) Conacher. When the lights came on, I looked like Santa Claus but my face was pitch black. It took me two or three days to get that stuff off. This was a wonderful night to give anybody and I have wonderful memories of it. There is also a grandfather's clock at home which is worth more than any amount of money because of the inscription on it: 'From the Toronto Maple Leafs to King Clancy on St. Patrick's Night 1934.'"

one_clancy03.jpg

The Toronto Maple Leafs honoured their star defenseman with a special night on St. Patrick's Day, 1934. Lester Patrick of the opposing Rangers objected to Clancy's wearing of a green sweater, so King changed back to his traditional blue and white after the first period.

And for good measure, these beauties:

79.jpg

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I believe the Blazers' name & numbers were due to a manufacturing error.

There's also this oddity - back in 1996, the Bullets were going to tweak the name & numbers on the road unis, going from blue on white to white on blue:

110328745.jpg

This was later scrapped, but about half the team wore these unis for a single preseason game against the Blazers:

52474335.jpg

Neither of your guys photos are showing up.

Should be fixed now.

A couple more rarely-seen unis - in 1974-75 the Golden State Warriors started out with jerseys that had the full team name, but midway through the season removed the "Warriors" text (there's also a good view of the Jazz's first year unis):

5937201048_95cda0b70d_o.jpg

5937200920_5da0f3e940_o.jpg

doug-jones-autographed-baseball-card-philadelphia-phillies-1994-upper-deck-collectors-choice-174-499x704.jpg

All blue hat with pinstripe uniform, only worn a few times in 1994, they stopped it cause they were losing in them (yea must've been the hats)

Luckily when they would try it again in 2008 it would have a red brim and worn with a uniform that looks better with it (the cream alt), also they won the world series that year so couldn't say it bought them bad luck.

Archived