Most Famous Brand By State (Map)

illwauk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is Verizon for NY? And GE in CT? General Electric the corporation was created in Schenectady NY and their research department still has a major presence in the city.

GE is headquartered in Connecticut.

Fairfield, to be precise.

I'm wondering why WWE isn't on the map for CT...they are based in Stamford.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Maybe it's just my sports perspective that colors my viewpoint but I would have guessed United Airlines for Illinois.

HQ should have stayed in Houston....

We're still a little bitter over the Continental-United merger down here. The companies "merge" with Continental's management running the company, IAH is the largest hub, yet management decides they want to move to Chicago and take 1500 jobs at the height of the economic downturn with them.

I'd think Union Pacific would be the one for Nebraska.

Agreed. UP is bigger (and far more instrumental in America's history) than either Cabela's or ConAgra. The latter two are retail megaliths, but UP was founded by a charter from President Lincoln himself and they partnered with the Central Pacific to build the transcontinental railroad, which really ushered in the era of westward expansion.

Side note - UP later acquired CP, so the railroad today owns both "halves" of the transcontinental line originally built in the 1800s.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

For PA, the two most "recognizeable" (IMO) major corps are Heinz in Pittsburgh, and Comcast in Philadelphia. I guess Hershey is kinda sorta in the middle.

Comcast isn't nearly as recognized nationally as the other two... such is the nature of cable companies having monopolies over entire metro areas.

I'd say Heinz and Hershey are about equal as far as recognizability, although Hershey's more iconic logo gives it the nod.

I thought Comcast had a large national presence. What about Sunoco?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I thought Comcast had a large national presence.

Well... yes and no. While Comcast has a relatively large national footprint, the fact that cable companies have monopolies over the areas they serve means there's pretty large gaps in the country where Comcast has no presence at all.

Here's a map that helps explain what I mean:

top_10_MSO_footprints.jpg

What about Sunoco?

Without looking it up, I can give you a vague description of their logo and not much else. I'm not even sure what business they're in (although I have a stong inkling to say it's a gas station).

EDIT: Indeed it is a gas station... now I remember seeing them when I lived in Michigan. Still, they're certianly not as pervasive as Hershey's, Heinz, or Crayola.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you wondering, the Connecticut beer on that map is the Willimantic Brewing Company. WBC is a restaurant, and the beer is not known outside of the dining room. For CT, I would have gone with Thomas Hooker, I think.

I used to live in Romantic Willimantic when I attended Eastern Connecticut State. I've never had WBC beer, but fun times in Willi non the less :) Shout out to Apathy and The Bench Shop!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought, but the New York Yankees for New York?

I mean, come on... everyone knows the Yankees, even non baseball fans. I think their brand has actually transcended sports and would be thought of before other New York-based companies, which is saying a lot given how many companies are headquartered there.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

• 3 weeks later...

Pennsylvania's is perfect, America's oldest brewery-Yuengling

Except that mostly college kids drink it, and higher end places don't even carry it. PA has a ton of excellent craft breweries. Not up there with CA or New England, but I believe you can by Victory nationwide, so as someone in his mid 30s, I'd make that PAs beer now.

Having lived in Pennsylvania my entire life, I can state from experience that Yuengling is extremely popular among all age groups. Many of my contemporaries (we are all well into our 50s) won't touch anything else. And I have yet to find a restaurant, club or bar anywhere in the state that didn't carry it.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Pennsylvania's is perfect, America's oldest brewery-Yuengling

Except that mostly college kids drink it, and higher end places don't even carry it. PA has a ton of excellent craft breweries. Not up there with CA or New England, but I believe you can by Victory nationwide, so as someone in his mid 30s, I'd make that PAs beer now.

Having lived in Pennsylvania my entire life, I can state from experience that Yuengling is extremely popular among all age groups. Many of my contemporaries (we are all well into our 50s) won't touch anything else. And I have yet to find a restaurant, club or bar anywhere in the state that didn't carry it.

That's a relatively recent thing though. When I was in college in Western PA in the mid / late '90s, there was only one distributor out there that had it, and it was in Johnstown. Most of western PA had never heard of it. When it got wider distribution, that's when it became the "good" beer for college kids out there.

Obviously it's all about personal taste, but at least where I live most late 20s - 40s are ordering more "craft" beers (i hate that word), and it's really mostly the younger kids and blue-collar types that are drinking the Yuengling and Budweisers of the world. Of course things are different in different areas though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 5 months later...

Archived