OHL's Guelph Storm...Bringin' back the Bolt!...Another Alt and the Wrap-up

sparkychewbarky

(...Taking a bit of a break from the "Battle of Markham".)

Guelph's OHL team used to have some lightning in their logo.

However, the "Guelph Platers" upped and moved to Owen Sound.
At that point, the "Dukes of Hamilton" upped and moved to Guelph, and became the "Guelph Storm".

Now, I have no way of knowing, but I imagine that designers were told not to use the element of lightning in the new Storm design, so as to negate any sort of affiliation with the "Owen Sound Platers".
So, the first Storm logo featured the word Storm in a custom, rained-on-look font, and was later changed to the current tornado logo...

storm.png
...The logo is an image of their very popular mascot "Spyke", caught in a wind (dust) tunnel.

In the meantime, the "Owen Sound Platers" have changed their name to the "Owen Sound Attack", with nary a lightning bolt anywhere near the new logo.
Even the "Niagara Falls Thunder", who could have used a lightning bolt in their identity, have changed their name to the "Niagara IceDogs".

What does this all mean?

Well, the Guelph Storm, IMO, is in need of a new look, and now have the opportunity to take ownership of the lightning element, and make the Bolt their own in the OHL.

With that in mind, I've kept their existing colours and have developed a new look featuring the lightning bolt (a great-looking and handy element), rather than the dust cloud icon.

The Primary is very TampaBay-ish, and I've kept their popular Spyke (a really good mascot btw) featured in the secondary.
The secs are reversed for opposing shoulder patches...

stormback3.jpg

The uniforms have the same cut as the ones I made up for the Battle of Markham's "Northlanders".

The Homes...

stormback1.jpg

And Aways...

stormback2.jpg

storm4.jpg

Thanks guys.

Amazing job with both the logos and the jerseys. I love the idea of them incorporating the lightning in the logo.

Even the "Niagara Falls Thunder", who could have used a lightning bolt in their identity, have changed their name to the "Niagara IceDogs".

The Thunder and Ice Dogs are two completely different franchises. The Thunder moved to Erie in 1996, while the Ice Dogs (who were originally in Mississauga) moved to the Niagara Region in 2007.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

I really enjoy the whimsical style that you have sparky. That secondary is really spot on in my opinion.

Thanks GP. That's a pretty much what Spyke looks like (with lightning hair)

I would send this to them immediately. Huge upgrade.

I think I'll do that. Thanks nas.

That's awesome. The whole look goes really well together. Terrific job!

...And you've got a pretty nice Seattle concept going there.

Unbelievable!! The primary is just perfect for a jersey. It would be amazing if they actually used these next season.

Thanks #1. It would be cool to know what teams are currently wearing stuff done by people on these boards.

Amazing job with both the logos and the jerseys. I love the idea of them incorporating the lightning in the logo.

The Thunder and Ice Dogs are two completely different franchises. The Thunder moved to Erie in 1996, while the Ice Dogs (who were originally in Mississauga) moved to the Niagara Region in 2007.

Thanks for the info chrysler. I wasn't sure how that one had come about. A lot of upping and moving.

WOW! Very nice as always.

Thanks Jordan. T'would be nice to snag a gig like the one you've currently got. Congrats.

Storm Alt

I like to mix things up with alts. If the team has "traditional-look" unis, I like to go a little non-traditional with alts, and vice-versa.

It's an opportunity to appeal to the many varied tastes of the fan base, and give them all something they really like.

With the Storm's more contemporary regular unis, I went traditional with the alts.

I'm pretty happy with the outcome, although I might simplify the sleeve striping a bit.

stormbalt.jpg

Thanks again for all the input.

The secondary is charming and whimsical. But why does the player look like a 35-year-old? LOL

It could be just me, but I think it kind of looks like Joe Sakic.

As for the alt, it looks nice. It looks like an even better version of the alts that they wore a little more than 5 years ago. Keep up the good work!

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

The secondary is charming and whimsical. But why does the player look like a 35-year-old? LOL

Ha..you're right M. Until I make me an age-appropriate template, the following will have to do...

Where would the captain's C go? Other than that the whole concept is fantastic.

Good catch FGM. I made some changes along with refining the stripes. Thanks.

It could be just me, but I think it kind of looks like Joe Sakic.

As for the alt, it looks nice. It looks like an even better version of the alts that they wore a little more than 5 years ago. Keep up the good work!

You're right chrysler...I combined 2 of my favourite players (Joe Sakic and Sid the Kid) into one template.

Here's the changes...

stormalt2.jpg

Thanks guys.

the brown bag style helmet looks really cool and original. Mince they are implimenting the manditory visors, they should use full face covers such as this one hahah :P Joking aside, there are a few teams I can put up with having the diagonal script and Guelph is one of them. Great clean job sir

Archived