ESPN America Shutting Down - British Need Alternatives Suggestions

marble21

So as the title suggests, ESPN America, a satellite/cable channel on British TV (and possibly other european countries) is shutting down on the 31st July. This means a number of things for me and many others.

No more Baseball on TV. Less (effectively one game a week now) College Football on TV. No more Sports Center, PTI etc. ...you get the idea.

Can anyone suggest any websites (or other methods) where I can stream/watch these sports live or replayed. I obviously don't want this thread to turn into a treasure chest of illegal site links, so please only suggest the legal options.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

ESPN is running a real ight ship these days, I hear ESPN News may soon go the way of CNNSI and Newsport and that ESPN itself may end live sporting events and just focus on entertainiment shows debate shows and reality shows.

I would say the door is clearly open for them to be taken down by FoxSports1, NBCSN or CBS Sports if they can play their cards right.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

ESPN is running a real ight ship these days, I hear ESPN News may soon go the way of CNNSI and Newsport and that ESPN itself may end live sporting events and just focus on entertainiment shows debate shows and reality shows.

Where did you hear that?

Where did you hear that?

Awful Announcing.

The network is losing a lot of money, ESPN 3d was a disaster and they want to go cheaper.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

The network is losing a lot of money, ESPN 3d was a disaster and they want to go cheaper.

It is not LOSING money. It's just not making enough for those greedy Disney bastards.

If it were losing money, among the first things they'd cut is those ridiculous ESPY awards. That show alone cost $7 million.

nav-logo.png

Not to mention ratings are down and they had to fire a few hundred people.

Deadspin has some great articles on why ESPN is so bad. They've tried to become more "urban" and focus more on off the field issues. They don't even show highlights anymore, just discussions.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

It is not LOSING money. It's just not making enough for those greedy Disney bastards.

If it were losing money, among the first things they'd cut is those ridiculous ESPY awards. That show alone cost $7 million.

Either way ESPN is a mess, and it wont shock me if they stop showing live sports on the mothership althoughter and more ESPY like programing becomes the norm along with X games because to them if you are over 30 you should ride Carousel because they only care about a young auidence.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Not to mention ratings are down and they had to fire a few hundred people.

Deadspin has some great articles on why ESPN is so bad. They've tried to become more "urban" and focus more on off the field issues. They don't even show highlights anymore, just discussions.

Either way ESPN is a mess, and it wont shock me if they stop showing live sports on the mothership althoughter and more ESPY like programing becomes the norm along with X games because to them if you are over 30 you should ride Carousel because they only care about a young auidence.

Let's try to assist the OP for a solution for his issues in England rather than derail the topic by giving examples on why a network does not cater individually to your personal likes/whims.

But, if they ended broadcasts of sports, they couldn't call themselves the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

What would it be, then? EPN?

As far as English viewership of US sports goes, aren't there online streams available for purchase? Or is that exclusive to this side of the pond?

As far as English viewership of US sports goes, aren't there online streams available for purchase? Or is that exclusive to this side of the pond?

I was kind of hoping for some suggestions for things like this. From the correct outlets of course. I know the obvious ones but I bet there are a ton of networks I have never heard of.

I'm hoping someone who isn't BT will pick up the Eredivisie coverage...

BT Sport is going to be an absolute train wreck in every conceivable way possible.

NBCSN if you have it. It's the best if you're a fan of hockey.

Nope, unfortunately don't get that as a channel. Will search online though to see if they stream anything, thanks.

Thanks to dwfabel for steering this back on course too.

I would say the door is clearly open for them to be taken down by FoxSports1, NBCSN or CBS Sports if they can play their cards right.

Except Fox Sports 1 solution is to make even dumber arguments than ESPN. At least Skip Bayless will have a nice landing area.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

BT Sport is going to be an absolute train wreck in every conceivable way possible.

And the sad thing is, they're only keeping the ESPN name so they can hold onto the football rights. Soon as that requirement is over you can bet they'll can ESPN all together.

From what I'd seen around the interwebs, BT's ESPN is only going to show a handful of MLB games and that's it. All the other content is gone. :(

Sad reading the comments on the recent posts on ESPNA Facebook page. Seems quite a few people did not know, and while the ESPNA staff issued a nice "thank you fans" they were for the most part told where to shove that thank you. It seems its very unpopular, not just here but mainland Europe, Scandinavia and the Middle East who will also loose their ESPNA.

NBCSN if you have it. It's the best if you're a fan of hockey.

As the op already answered, sadly no we don't. The NHL sold the UK rights to Premier Sports, which is only on Sky (satellite) and from what I'm lead to believe their "HD" is barely standard def., plus they only show on game a week or something equally ridiculous.

Given that we do have a reasonable hockey league (albeit niche) EIHL which is affiliated to the NHL, you'd think that they'd try and get on board with a big broadcaster rather than some two-bit operation. Oh well... OTDNHL. ;)

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Unfortunately we can't get it free here so if we fancy viewing a train wreck we'll have to pay for the privilege. Somehow, I can't really see Mrs Jaffa being up for that.

I think all this will lead to is people watching everything illegally online. I want to watch games, if I am given no choice then what can I do?

There is a similar problem in Australia but with US Prime Time TV shows. They take that long to reach Aussie TV, that the majority of people have already watched them online off of an illegal site.

It's the same issue here, you have what I feel is a fairly substantial market that is willing to pay for a service, but that service is not being provided properly so people are basically saying "screw you". It makes no sense to me at all what these TV companies do.

Unfortunately we can't get it free here so if we fancy viewing a train wreck we'll have to pay for the privilege. Somehow, I can't really see Mrs Jaffa being up for that.

I can't justify paying for BT when its going to hardly show anything I'm interested in. And I doubt it'll be on Virgin Media, let alone part of the XL package like ESPNA was.

Our only hope is if Sky take some of it on, but then that's no consolation for those who can't afford that sub. Its really frustrating.

That sucks. That likely means you don't get the Golf Channel either.

Nope. Most of the golf is shown by Sky Sports, so it kind of negates the need. Although given their recent addition of dedicated channel 'Sky Sports F1' and re-branding one of their channels as 'Sky Sports Ashes' (cricket) I'm surprised they haven't set up 'Sky Golf' yet. What am I saying though.... 'Sky Sports Football' is more likely to happen. ;)

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

What exactly is going on over there with the whole BT Sport? I need to fully understand it before all the Villa supporters start bitching about it. ^_^

As so far as the NHL goes—and I'm not sure if this is a location-restricted service or not—they at the very least stream audio to all games for free. Alternatively, both the MLB and NHL have online subscription services to watch all the games but once again, I'm not sure the availability of that in Britain.

Truthfully the "illegal" routes are probably going to be your best ones. Much like me with the Bundesliga—GOL TV have the rights and were dropped on my cable provider (plus they only showed Bayern every week)—it potentially becomes the only way to access these events. I do find it surprising though that they're taking ESPN America away because it always seemed like a mildly successful venture.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived