NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

Granted, I've never watched that channel....but despite being a longtime participant in Fantasy Football, I've never felt the desire to watch the Red Zone channel. Just seems so anti-climatic to me to watch nothing but red-zone offensive plays. I much prefer seeing the entire game develop....even if it's two crappy teams.....instead of seeing just the scoring plays of every game....that's why god invented highlights shows.

I'm pretty content with watching one 1pm game, one 4pm game, and getting the scores and scoring highlights during halftime/postgame and the in-game breaks CBS and Fox has, as well as watching the ticker on the bottom.

I tend to watch the Falcons games in their entirety (with the TV muted and the Falcons' radio on), then listening to other teams' radio calls on XM the rest of the time.....if I can take doing nothing but watching football for 6.5-7 hours straight. If the Falcons play at night at a different time, I like listening to Mike Keith call Titans games.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get RedZone. I don't bother anyways as long as I can watch the Steelers (hard to do in this area with the Bears/Packers/Vikings fans and such, plus I only got Sunday Ticket for one season).

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Granted, I've never watched that channel....but despite being a longtime participant in Fantasy Football, I've never felt the desire to watch the Red Zone channel. Just seems so anti-climatic to me to watch nothing but red-zone offensive plays. I much prefer seeing the entire game develop....even if it's two crappy teams.....instead of seeing just the scoring plays of every game....that's why god invented highlights shows.

I'm pretty content with watching one 1pm game, one 4pm game, and getting the scores and scoring highlights during halftime/postgame and the in-game breaks CBS and Fox has, as well as watching the ticker on the bottom.

I tend to watch the Falcons games in their entirety (with the TV muted and the Falcons' radio on), then listening to other teams' radio calls on XM the rest of the time.....if I can take doing nothing but watching football for 6.5-7 hours straight. If the Falcons play at night at a different time, I like listening to Mike Keith call Titans games.

Well, I watch several games at any given time, especially later in the season. Come December, I usually have a game on the tube and generally three or four elsewhere on my computer(s), including the Red Zone Channel. I agree that it is a bit anticlimactic to sometimes really only see the "good parts" of any given game, but it works well for me because I have a complex that personally necessitates me to keep up with the happenings around the league in real-time (again, something that really takes off in the second half of the season, after baseball is over).

I should point out (though you probably know this) that RZC doesn't only televise games when there's someone in the red zone. If no game is in a red zone spot, they'll switch back and forth between games in action, and if there are important developments occurring, they'll show the games in separate boxes. And, of course, QUAD BOX!

A5MS6YlCcAEpjHk.png

But as far as the Bucs or Giants might be concerned, or any late-season games with enormous playoff implications? Yeah, among others, I've always got those games at my immediate disposal to see every play that I can.

spacer.png

I'll be shocked if the Chargers aren't one of the worst teams in football. The combination of a shallow and not very talented roster, a brand new coaching staff in their first year, and multiple ACL tears generally spells trouble. Hopefully they can win the Clowney sweepstakes, though!

Not to mention Phillip Rivers being ELITE! The Chargers really need a QB. Rivers is aging like cheese.

I don't think a guy that's going to be 32 qualifies as "aging like cheese". Still though, he really needs to cut down on the turnovers from the last couple of years.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Granted, I've never watched that channel....but despite being a longtime participant in Fantasy Football, I've never felt the desire to watch the Red Zone channel. Just seems so anti-climatic to me to watch nothing but red-zone offensive plays. I much prefer seeing the entire game develop....even if it's two crappy teams.....instead of seeing just the scoring plays of every game...

Yeah, that's been my take on it. The Red Zone Channel seems tailor-made for people who don't actually like football, like a baseball channel comprised of nothing but home runs.

I don't think a guy that's going to be 32 qualifies as "aging like cheese". Still though, he really needs to cut down on the turnovers from the last couple of years.

Norv pretty much destroyed his confidence IMO, turning him into a checkdown machine who gets sacked too much and can't make throws under pressure anymore. McCoy and Whisenhunt might be able to bring him back to respectability but he might just be done.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Granted, I've never watched that channel....but despite being a longtime participant in Fantasy Football, I've never felt the desire to watch the Red Zone channel. Just seems so anti-climatic to me to watch nothing but red-zone offensive plays. I much prefer seeing the entire game develop....even if it's two crappy teams.....instead of seeing just the scoring plays of every game...

Yeah, that's been my take on it. The Red Zone Channel seems tailor-made for people who don't actually like football, like a baseball channel comprised of nothing but home runs.

Eh, I guess that's one way of putting it, but I see it as an alternative after the regular telecasts being bogged down with more and more commercials/getting around the stupid exclusivity of Sunday Ticket legally. I still watch the Jets as much as I can bear to watch them, but having it last year as part of my Sports Pack kinda changed how I watch NFL games. Granted I'd still rather watch college football the traditional way

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Yeah, I think ESPN has a similar thing for college football to the RZC, but I've never even given a second thought towards using that application. College football is an entirely different dynamic.

I just kinda like knowing that I can always be looking at some kind of action with RZC. The characterization given here is a little bit unfair. I liken it more to a channel that does your channel flipping for you.

spacer.png

Calling it "the home run channel" is a little unfair. Watching a channel where you know a home run is going to be hit every at bat would be horribly boring. If we're going with baseball analogies, Red Zone is more like watching only full count pitches or only bases loaded plays. You know something is going to happen, but you don't quite know what. It could be a big play for the defense, as well.

The Redzone network is great great they jump around to all the games and everytime something happens you see it. They even do split screens and quad boxes.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I've used the RZC for the past two or three seasons now and it's pretty much my favorite innovation in recent football history. For the early games it literally does the channel-flipping for you, not only giving you red zone plays but also showing you every scoring play as well. I haven't watched a commercial when watching the NFL between 1-4 ET in I can't remember how long. It's absolutely fantastic for the early games when your team isn't playing, but often I'll just choose a late game to watch because it really loses some of it's value when there's only three or four games going on.

I have NO idea what to expect from this Chargers team, which means they can't really disappoint me. Which makes it easier to not get upset when the crapping of beds commences.

*pours myself a stiff drink and gets ready for the fun to start*

Not sure how to feel about this years Bears team. The organization is trying this weird We're-Rebuilding/Win-Now-type-thing and I don't foresee it turning into wins.

I have this horrible feeling that despite improving the offense via a new coach, new offensive linemen, and new tight end, there's still going to be wasted timeouts due to playcalling miscues and various other similar plodding inefficiencies that have plagued the team for years.

While I'm terribly excited they finally fired Lovie and Angelo, it's incredibly hard to gauge Emery and Trestman. Obviously we've seen nothing of Trestman, but the "Trust Me, I Was a Scout" methodology of Emery's bizarre drafts is too murky to properly assess.

I dunno. To hell with it, I'm just going to enjoy the show.

He was dynamite in the CFL with the Als.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Not sure how to feel about this years Bears team. The organization is trying this weird We're-Rebuilding/Win-Now-type-thing and I don't foresee it turning into wins.

I have this horrible feeling that despite improving the offense via a new coach, new offensive linemen, and new tight end, there's still going to be wasted timeouts due to playcalling miscues and various other similar plodding inefficiencies that have plagued the team for years.

While I'm terribly excited they finally fired Lovie and Angelo, it's incredibly hard to gauge Emery and Trestman. Obviously we've seen nothing of Trestman, but the "Trust Me, I Was a Scout" methodology of Emery's bizarre drafts is too murky to properly assess.

I dunno. To hell with it, I'm just going to enjoy the show.

He was dynamite in the CFL with the Als.

His CFL success means nothing, though. The NFL is a completely different animal from the CFL.

I am kind of hoping Chargers fans can find some fun and nostalgia in this 2013 campaign, being the 50 year anniversary of their 1963 AFL Championship.

On that note, a good read on the Chargers AFL existence can be found on this marvelous site. Might need to start a thread about the best sports history sites, and/or about the American Football League. This one is right up towards the top.

spacer.png

Archived