NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

That was a pathetic performance by the Cowboys today, offensively speaking. To the Chiefs credit, their defense played a good game. Forcing Romo to make bad throws/decisions. I thought on the opening 3rd quarter drive decided the game. The Cowboys couldn't punch it in, and subquently, lost by less than 4 points. Same old Dallas. We played a good game defensively. Containing Charles and getting pressure on Smith, plus keeping them to only 17 points should have been good enough to win.

If we want to be anything other than a mediocre team, we have to be able to run the ball effectively (meaning you can pick up first downs on 3rd down and solid redzone running) and have the ability to score TD's instead of FG's in the redzone.

Mediocre teams score FG's in the redzone, good teams score TD's. The Cowboys are an average team and will be until they correct those glaring weaknesses.

At least the Cowboys lost a close one, If you want pathetic blame Eli Manning for throwing four picks to his brother's team!

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back to the end of 2012, the Seahawks have won four of their past five road games. They've won games at Soldier Field the past three seasons. They went east and beat the Redskins in the playoffs, and probably should've beaten the Falcons too, if not for the inexplicable prevent defense they used in the final :30.

I think we're reading a little too far into road struggles at this point. That's a young team, an improved roster from off-season additions, and now more experience on their side, too. This could be a legitimate #1 in the NFC this year, and if that were to happen, then it doesn't even matter if they're good or bad on the road, because the NFC road to the Super Bowl would run through Seattle.

That was a beatdown tonight. San Francisco couldn't move the ball, Kaepernick looked feeble. That was ludicrously impressive.

They beat the Bears when the Bears were in the midst of choking their way out of the playoffs. They beat a bad Buffalo team, lost to an equally bad Dolphins team, and lost to a bad Lions team. Last week they struggled mightily with a mediocre Panthers team. In the playoffs they beat a hobbled RGIII -- the only reason the Redskins made the playoffs was because of the zone-read and they couldn't run it in that game.

Without the blown call against Green Bay last year, they wouldn't have made the playoffs last year.

You're digging quite deep there into the beginning of 2012. I think it was pretty clear the Seahawks improved by leaps and bounds as the season progressed. I think Chicago was 8-3 when they beat them; yeah, that's pretty impressive, to me, and especially the way they beat them. They beat a bad Buffalo team? Sure. They hammered a bad Buffalo team. They scored 50 points. It's not easy to go away from home and hang 50 points on anybody in the NFL.

I mean, you're a knowledgeable fellow and I respect your beliefs. The Seahawks aren't going to hold the Niners to three points at Candlestick, for instance. But after a night like tonight, when they so thoroughly overwhelmed them and Kaepernick looked lost, and SF couldn't establish anything resembling a ground game, I don't see any reason to think the Seahawks can't win the return leg at Candlestick. As alluded to, Wilson only completed eight passes tonight. I will expect more than that in the next go around.

spacer.png

Going back to the end of 2012, the Seahawks have won four of their past five road games. They've won games at Soldier Field the past three seasons. They went east and beat the Redskins in the playoffs, and probably should've beaten the Falcons too, if not for the inexplicable prevent defense they used in the final :30.

In that Falcons game, thanks to no Clemons, there was absolutely no pass rush, and the Hawks couldn't get a sack.

Not saying SF would've won tonight, but were missing Crabtree a lot on nights like this where the defense can make Boldin irrelevant. He was on fire to close out the year, and he and Kaepernick had a good thing going. It doesn't help going forward that Davis pulled a hammy on an INT. Hopefully the Niners can hammer the Colts, given that they haven't looked that sharp in their first 2 games.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I think we're reading a little too far into road struggles at this point. That's a young team, an improved roster from off-season additions, and now more experience on their side, too. This could be a legitimate #1 in the NFC this year, and if that were to happen, then it doesn't even matter if they're good or bad on the road, because the NFC road to the Super Bowl would run through Seattle.

That was a beatdown tonight. San Francisco couldn't move the ball, Kaepernick looked feeble. That was ludicrously impressive.

They beat the Bears when the Bears were in the midst of choking their way out of the playoffs. They beat a bad Buffalo team, lost to an equally bad Dolphins team, and lost to a bad Lions team. Last week they struggled mightily with a mediocre Panthers team. In the playoffs they beat a hobbled RGIII -- the only reason the Redskins made the playoffs was because of the zone-read and they couldn't run it in that game.

Without the blown call against Green Bay last year, they wouldn't have made the playoffs last year.

You're digging quite deep there into the beginning of 2012. I think it was pretty clear the Seahawks improved by leaps and bounds as the season progressed. I think Chicago was 8-3 when they beat them; yeah, that's pretty impressive, to me, and especially the way they beat them. They beat a bad Buffalo team? Sure. They hammered a bad Buffalo team. They scored 50 points. It's not easy to go away from home and hang 50 points on anybody in the NFL.

I mean, you're a knowledgeable fellow and I respect your beliefs. The Seahawks aren't going to hold the Niners to three points at Candlestick, for instance. But after a night like tonight, when they so thoroughly overwhelmed them and Kaepernick looked lost, and SF couldn't establish anything resembling a ground game, I don't see any reason to think the Seahawks can't win the return leg at Candlestick. As alluded to, Wilson only completed eight passes tonight. I will expect more than that in the next go around.

They did get better as they went. But ultimately, they got better when they started running the read-option. An SEC coach said that last year, watching NFL teams try and defend the read option was like watching college defenses try and defend it 15 years ago. Teams are actually defending it this year. I just don't understand how we can look at this game and talk about how elite or legit they are when just one week ago they really struggled with a not-so-great Panthers team. Their defense is legit... but you guys aren't at all worried about their offense?

IUe6Hvh.png

Since the NFL went to the modern 16 game season ... what is the lowest scoring output for a team over the entire season? Wondering if my boys have a chance of at least setting some kind of record this season. :D

One thing was verified today .... Henne is every bit as horribad as Gabbert. I am ready to give Ricky Stanzi a shot behind center. And maybe in week 4 we can put Jaxson de Ville back there?

fP8H4Wf.jpg

At least Lynch didn't grab his crotch like he did after he ran through, around, and over the Saints a few years ago.

marshawn_display_image.jpg?1323792043

You know what? The Rams have really shown a lot of promise, IMO. Going into Atlanta down three scores in the second half and then coming back to score on three consecutive drives, shows we do have a lot of talent. If Bradford hadn't thrown that pick six, we may have won the game. While we did ultimately lose, I take a lot of positives away from this. Winning never comes easy in Atlanta.

1. Nah, everybody does that. For whatever reason, jumping out to a big lead, folding until late, and an iffy comeback that may or may not work has become the trademark of this Falcon team.

2. You really blame Bradford when the ball hit the guy right in the numbers and bounced right to Osi?

I'd say we're heading towards a Denver-Seattle Superbowl. They both look like they're the best teams by far.

That's like calling the Daytona 500 after 20 laps. A lot can happen between now and the SB.

About the Saints, they deserved to lose but didn't so I'll take it. I haven't seen the game yet so I can't comment specifically on some of the officiating calls and so on but overall the reffing sure has been shaky so far this year.

Props to the Bucs' D...that's a stout unit there. And I feel for their fans because I remember well the days when the Saints were almost always on the other end of games like that.

Edit: Again in the "into truth" department, this is why no Saints fan should be giddy over their 2-0 start. From the Times-Picayune:

===

They are one Falcons dropped pass and one Buccaneers first down away from being 0-2. Yet, instead, here they are, one of just three unbeaten teams in the NFC after two weeks of the season.

===

Last thing: just saw the Clayborn sack/fumble. Marginal is a kind word for that call. There may have been some helmet-to-helmet contact but you know what it looked like to me? Football. If I was a Bucs fan I'd be mega-pi**ed over that one. Seriously, Brandon Meriwether spears Starks in the side of the head and there's no penalty but Clayborn gets flagged? Something's wrong somewhere.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

With all the division titles and dozen-win seasons in Indy, it truly baffles me how Peyton was only able to get the Colts into one Super Bowl. Thank goodness he beat the Bears that year, or else he'd be getting the Dan Marino treatment year in and year out.

He's actually gotten them into two Super Bowls.

I totally forgot he got them into Super Bowl 44 against the Saints. Another playoff game the Manning-era Colts should have won but didn't.

People always said he choked in the playoffs. Last I checked Peyton Manning isn't Hank Baskett who couldn't recover the onside kick to start the half and Peyton doesn't play defense so he couldn't go out and get a big stop on the Saints' offense.

Eli had better defenses on his team in his two super bowl appearances.

I think if anything, the Colts' run with Manning at quarterback is a testament to how good he is. Put any other QB on those teams who otherwise had some marginal, average talent, and they don't make the playoffs as often.

PvO6ZWJ.png

With all the division titles and dozen-win seasons in Indy, it truly baffles me how Peyton was only able to get the Colts into one Super Bowl. Thank goodness he beat the Bears that year, or else he'd be getting the Dan Marino treatment year in and year out.

I totally forgot he got them into Super Bowl 44 against the Saints. Another playoff game the Manning-era Colts should have won but didn't.

Why should the Colts have won? I could see a statement like that about the Cardinals vs. the Steelers or some other close game.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

If we want to be anything other than a mediocre team, we have to...

...Write "hire actual football executives" on the side of a cinder block, then take said block and smack it square upside Jerry Jones' cranium--because that's the only way anyone's gonna get that through that man's head. Nothing's changing down there until he does.

Mediocre teams score FG's in the redzone, good teams score TD's. The Cowboys are an average team and will be until they...

See above.

I'd say we're heading towards a Denver-Seattle Superbowl. They both look like they're the best teams by far.

Im still holding out hope--and onto my prediction--of an all-Missouri Super Bowl: Kansas City vs. St. Louis. You read it here first. :P

----------------------------------------------

As for them Fuccaneers (Imma keep calling them that until they learn to quit fuccing themselves), most of what I could say done already been said. Still early in the season, but...this comedy of errors masked as football really does not bode well for their outlook. Derpa Bay Fuccaneers...yep, sounds about right.

Things I am tired of:

1. David Akers (already)

2. Lions coaching staff. From Schwartz's inability to create a disciplined defense to Linehan's fear of throwing the ball further than 7 yards, I'm tried of these clowns.

3. Futility while brimming with potential. Today was a perfect example. Totally winnable game pissed away with stupid penalties, conservative play calling, and relying on players who have proven themselves to be unreliable.

So much fun being a Lions fan.

So in other words...

gunkick.0_standard_709.0.gif

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

If you're watching/listening to this Jaguars-Raiders game, you'll see why Orlando's CBS affiliate apologized.

My god, this Jaguars team (in particular, their offense) is awful.

I am going to say it now, but I think the Jaguars have a shot at 0-16, they are dreadful in every way possible and their uniforms especially that god awful helmet are offensive to the eyes.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Things I am tired of:

1. David Akers (already)

2. Lions coaching staff. From Schwartz's inability to create a disciplined defense to Linehan's fear of throwing the ball further than 7 yards, I'm tried of these clowns.

3. Futility while brimming with potential. Today was a perfect example. Totally winnable game pissed away with stupid penalties, conservative play calling, and relying on players who have proven themselves to be unreliable.

So much fun being a Lions fan.

So in other words...

gunkick.0_standard_709.0.gif

Bingo. And that gentleman gives us great pass coverage schemes and fundamentals like this:

nfl_g_billbentley_cmg_300.jpg

I wonder how often that actually happens. The Lions played two games in Arizona in the space of four regular season games (spanning two seasons, of course), and the Cardinals are not a division rival. Seems like it should be a rarity, but oddly enough, not so much for Detroit, because I also remember the Lions playing a Week 15 game at Tampa Bay in 2010 ( :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: ) and playing Week 1 at Tampa Bay in 2011.

spacer.png

Why should the Colts have won? I could see a statement like that about the Cardinals vs. the Steelers or some other close game.

The Colts would've went 16-0 that season, but Caldwell benched Manning in Week 16. Instead fnished 14-2. They were also two touchdown favorites going into in that game against New Orleans.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived