BREAKING: Johnny Manziel Investigation

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manziel seems clueless and spoiled enough to do something like this, but I have to strongly question this report when their source even admits that they didn't see any money exchanged. Add in ESPN's obvious investment in UT via the Longhorn Network and this reeks of a conflict of interest.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If you don't like the rules, have them changed. Until then, live by them.

This isn't some new or obscure clause. It's really quite simple.

This.

If Manziel was moronic enough to openly make a deal with a guy to sign however many autographs for money in a room full of people, and the NCAA can prove it, then he needs to suffer the consequences. Does anyone disagree that he's been under a microscope since last season? While, I agree that he should be able to profit from what is his, the rules are still the rules.

I'd like to see the lawsuits against the NCAA crush them. There is no viable excuse to not pay the players to play when the schools profit off them in so many different ways. It's very hard to justify, and the NCAA preventing schools from choosing to pay their athletes is effectively price-fixing.

Not a bright decision by this Manziel guy by any stretch, but I'd just tell the NCAA to go to hell, sign more autograph deals, and wait for the NFL to come calling. It'd be nice to see one player lead the way in that regard, and have others follow suit.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it's going to give Cleveland State two more years' probation."

No doubt this is probably to deflect attention from one of the NCAA's real favorite sons. Can't have those Aggies upsetting the natural order of Bama dominance in the SEC again like they did last year.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

If you don't like the rules, have them changed. Until then, live by them.

This isn't some new or obscure clause. It's really quite simple.

Perfect post.

*Hunts down Bridgewater*

*Trades him a tank of gas for an autograph*

*Calls NCAA*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I have no sympathy for the kid -- I find it ironic that the week his dad complains about A&M not wanting to "be there for Johnny" or whatever that he's on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Everyone knows the kid has thrust himself in the off-field spotlight by doing things that a "normal 20 year old" couldn't do. He should know better. The rules are the rules - whether they are fair or not. If you can't wait another year to sell your autograph in order to stay eligible, then you deserve what's coming to you.

That being said - this is Camgate 2.0. Notta damn thing will come of it.

Personally, having a $415 student loan monthly payment for the next nine years (assuming I don't pay more than that in any given month), not to mention the tutoring, training, medical attention (which I didn't get as a club student-athlete), oh and not to mention scholarships that I and "normal 20 year olds" did not have access to. If you're that good that you think you're worth millions of dollars - just wait a year or three years and you'll make your money.

Basically, Johnny Football comes off as a 20-year-old who is a known lawbreaker (underage drinking, assault, parking violations), a whiner, someone who blames his problems on other people, and is somewhat out of touch with reality. But he's JMAN2/Johnny Football - the world should cater to him, he shouldn't conform to the rules everyone else does.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Ehh, I'm for junking the rules because amateurism is fundamentally bull :censored: and was created solely so the wealthy elite could keep those plebes in the middle and lower class away from athletics.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

9438509503_f5d2ccd818_o.png

If this picture isn't a fake....I'm dropping the mic. Kid thinks he's above the rules.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Ehh, I'm for junking the rules because amateurism is fundamentally bull :censored: and was created solely so the wealthy elite could keep those plebes in the middle and lower class away from athletics.

Then junk the rules.

But until then, follow them.

The best way to junk the rules in an unbalanced power structure like that of the NCAA is to ignore them until they become unworkable. It's not like the student athletes can legislate change.

Food for thought: I have it on very good authority that at least at some schools the athletic scholarship does not cover mandatory student fees. Including the student subsidy for the athletic department. Bask in that logical disconnect.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thad, your righteous indignation is kind of drowned out by your Alabama fandom.

Today, we are all otaku.

9438509503_f5d2ccd818_o.png

If this picture isn't a fake....I'm dropping the mic. Kid thinks he's above the rules.

I'm sure it's fake. Just judging by the handwriting it looks like it could be a handwritten font. If you look at the O's, G's, T's, E's etc they look pretty similar throughout. Even in Yolo, both O's look exactly the same. Either it's fake or Johnny Manziel has very good (consistent) handwriting.

Archived