LSU Trademarks New Logo

Chicageaux

LSU has trademarked a new Tigers logo for men's and women's clothing that is beginning to show up around Baton Rouge. The small striped tiger, similar to a Polo horse, is intended to be a subtle "fashion mark" for those who may not want to wear the LSU letters emblazoned across their clothing, says Brian Hommel, director of LSU trademark licensing.

via: http://www.businessreport.com/article/20130805/BUSINESSREPORT0112/130809905

AR-130809905.jpg?q=300&maxw=500

I know some people could give a crap, but I find it interesting that they need to create a brand new logo for apparel when they have two logos between Toonces and the "eye of the tiger." Most people outside the LSU circle don't understand why we hate the main logo, but if a team has to create a whole new logo to sell merchandise, then something's not right.

As for this logo, I don't mind it. I wouldn't want to see it plastered all over Tiger Stadium, but if it's used like the article says and almost like the Ralph Lauren polo player, then I can dig it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's the Munsingwear Penguin for bayou folk. Gotcha.

I like the simplicity of it, and would like to see it in places other than polo shirts and Members Only jackets. Beats what's on their helmet by a mile.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I agree the helmet logo needs to change. I used to be on the "tradition" side of it, but the more I look at it and the more I hang around you guys, the more I see how dated and mismatched it looks, especially know that they've switched their number font and jersey template. However, I don't want to see this logo or any variation of it plastered on the helmet.

Single orange stripe down the center of the helmet, and there ya go.

Might be nice as a sleeve logo too, akin to the old prowling Jacksonville Jaguar.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Simple and nice. How long will it take high school teams to steal this logo?

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Not to dive too far off from the logo itself but after seeing this logo, it makes me feel all the more that LSU should change their name as two teams in the same conference AND the same division both being called Tigers is pretty bad. With this logo LSU could easily use Bayou Bengals as their name. But then again, I think Auburn should change to War Eagles.

They'll never change the name and they shouldn't. The whole "Fighting Tigers" thing comes from LSU starting as a military institution, they were basically the West Point of the south, minus the prestige. You also have the tradition with Mike the Tiger being on campus.

Besides you actually have three schools in the conference with Tigers as a mascot as well as two Bulldogs. None of them should change. Bayou Bengals is a "fun" nickname and to a lesser extent, Swamp Cats, but as the official name? Not a chance.

They'll never change the name and they shouldn't. The whole "Fighting Tigers" thing comes from LSU starting as a military institution, they were basically the West Point of the south, minus the prestige. You also have the tradition with Mike the Tiger being on campus.

Besides you actually have three schools in the conference with Tigers as a mascot as well as two Bulldogs. None of them should change. Bayou Bengals is a "fun" nickname and to a lesser extent, Swamp Cats, but as the official name? Not a chance.

LSU should go by the Fighting Tigers then instead of just Tigers -- more unique, especially if it has that history.

They are the Fighting Tigers, the "fighting" part gets dropped because it's much easier to just say Tigers.

Exactly. Even the PA announcer at the games states, "It's Saturday night in Death Valley, and here come your Fighting Tigers of LSU!!"

gYH2mW9.png

BayouJim:

"Most people outside the LSU circle don't understand why we hate the main logo, but if a team has to create a whole new logo to sell merchandise, then something's not right ".

I'm outside of the LSU circle and would like to ask why the main logo is hated?

Archived