Small details that bother you

Plus, you can't change Auburn's helmet at this point.

Few helmets are sacred anymore. The list grows smaller by the day.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any NFL players today that wear numbers that go against the rules?

Devin Hester. He got 23 when he came up because he was originally a CB/returner. After his first or second year, the Bears started listing him as a WR. I remember the NFL objected to it a few years ago and threatened to force him to change his number, but nothing ever came of it. Maybe the Bears started listing him as a CB again. He's a free agent after this year, and gone unless he takes a huge paycut. It'll be interesting to see if they allow him to wear 23 with his new team.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It irritates me when football players wear numbers that aren't designated to their position according to the NFL rulebook. I used to dislike my high school junior QB because his practise jersey was #20. It also pissed me off that since I was a 2nd string receiver on offense, I wore 14, even though I was a starting linebacker. It may not be a design issue, but it is a detail that bothers me.

Are there any NFL players today that wear numbers that go against the rules? I know Keyshawn Johnson wore #19 back when receivers were limited to 80-89 and he paid a fine each week. Are there any today doing that? As for your #14, if you were playing both sides of the ball, you were going to have to have a number out of range for one position or the other, no?

For what it's worth, I preferred when the NFL limited receivers to numbers in the 80s, before they added 10-19. Supposedly the rule was changed because teams had retired too many numbers in the 80s.

It irritates me when football players wear numbers that aren't designated to their position according to the NFL rulebook. I used to dislike my high school junior QB because his practise jersey was #20. It also pissed me off that since I was a 2nd string receiver on offense, I wore 14, even though I was a starting linebacker. It may not be a design issue, but it is a detail that bothers me.

Are there any NFL players today that wear numbers that go against the rules? I know Keyshawn Johnson wore #19 back when receivers were limited to 80-89 and he paid a fine each week. Are there any today doing that? As for your #14, if you were playing both sides of the ball, you were going to have to have a number out of range for one position or the other, no?

For what it's worth, I preferred when the NFL limited receivers to numbers in the 80s, before they added 10-19. Supposedly the rule was changed because teams had retired too many numbers in the 80s

Sorry about the blank comment, I'm new to this. Anyways, yes. Devin Hester(Bears) wears #23 because he was listed as CB initially, before playing WR. I'm not sure why, but Dexter McCluster(Chiefs) wears #22, while playing WR. And yes, I played 3 out of 8 games at WR, so I was in range on offense.

Funny thing is, I'm a Wolverines fan. Gardner is paying tribute to Tom Harmon, so that doesn't bug me. I wasn't alive when Harmon played, but watching a #98 line up at HB would get on my nerves. Gallon wearing #21 and Dileo wearing #9 makes me mad.

For what it's worth, I preferred when the NFL limited receivers to numbers in the 80s, before they added 10-19. Supposedly the rule was changed because teams had retired too many numbers in the 80s

Sorry about the blank comment, I'm new to this. Anyways, yes. Devin Hester(Bears) wears #23 because he was listed as CB initially, before playing WR. I'm not sure why, but Dexter McCluster(Chiefs) wears #22, while playing WR. And yes, I played 3 out of 8 games at WR, so I was in range on offense.

Dexter McCluster was a RB when he came into the league. Or at least a RB/WR. He had over 100 carries his second year.

It will be interesting to see what number Hester wears next, though. I don't think he's been on the field on offense at all this year, so maybe he'll be allowed to wear #23 since his only position is a returner.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I've always wished they'd separate the stripes on the pants to match the helmets and jerseys. IIRC, there was an Under Armour mannequin wearing a set like that displayed before the national championship a few years ago that was obviously never worn.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I don't think Devin's number is a concern for the league. The big thing is whether or not it's an eligible receiver number(a non-lineman number). So the transition from CB to WR is fine, but a lineman switching his primary position to either TE or FB(a position I haven't seen much of anymore, except in read-option) must also switch his number. If McCluster can get away with wearing 22, 23 should be suitable for Hester, because his first position was CB and as a rule you only have to switch if it's going from receiving number to non-receiving number. But I don't think it's a huge deal anyways, because like you said, with the emergence of Alshon Jeffery, Hester sees the field less and less.

Well, high school and college ball don't use the NFL's number rules. Only rule, really, is 50 through 79 are ineligible to catch passes on offense, and two guys can't wear the same number at the same damn time. Other than that, you can wear whatever number you want. That said, one of my old teammates, I'm pretty sure he wished 66 was an eligible number. I liked the guy, but an o-lineman, he was not.

I know one thing, this pic shoulda been posted:

528e9ce4911b2.image.jpg

Simply for the irony of a nose tackle wearing a QB number chasing around a QB wearing a DL number.

For what it's worth, I preferred when the NFL limited receivers to numbers in the 80s, before they added 10-19. Supposedly the rule was changed because teams had retired too many numbers in the 80s.

Think about it this way: most NFL teams have two or three QBs, one punter and one kicker, who can choose between 1 and 19. Your average team will also have 5-7 receivers and 2-3 tight ends. Meaning 7-10 guys choosing between 10 numbers versus five guys picking among 19 numbers, and this isn't even taking into consideration retired numbers, or teams like the Cowboys reserving certain numbers only for potential stars.

Tight ends can also wear numbers in the 40s, but your point still stands.

9039162.jpg

Putting the same logo five freaking times in such a small region is horrendous overkill. Keep the jumping tiger on the helmet, use the head-only logo on the back, and don't put anything on the sleeves.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The so-called "Reebox" (thank you Paul Lukas) on so many NHL jerseys. It goes beyond just the Stadium Series jerseys.

Blues26.png

There is NO REASON whatsoever why that feature is necessary.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

9039162.jpg

Putting the same logo five freaking times in such a small region is horrendous overkill. Keep the jumping tiger on the helmet, use the head-only logo on the back, and don't put anything on the sleeves.

I say just take the logo off the back. A number of teams have (or had) the helmet logo on the sleeves as well, and it looks somewhat normal (Patriots, Dolphins, Panthers, mid-90s Seahawks, et al).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived