Small details that bother you

Every single post on this thread I have absolutely no problem with. They're details that are too small to even notice for me. If a striping pattern is different on the pants than on the helmet, who the hell cares

You're new around here, aren't you?
I get that a lot haha but I read these forums all the time. I've concluded that 90% of people here have either extreme OCD or they just like to complain. I respect that they are uniform geeks but some of the stuff in this thread is just ridiculous

The entire point of this place is to view and critique -- and part of that is to look at the details. Makes no sense to tell us not to do what we're here to do.

Go A's!

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't feel like posting a pic right now, but I've seen a number of softball jerseys with either the school name or nickname in script....and the word SOFTBALL or FASTPITCH on the tail. Granted, never seen it on a college jersey, but a few high school teams in my area do it off and on, and I feel it looks dumb. You don't see "BASEBALL" on the Dodgers underscore, do you?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Teams that use colors in their logo that does not appear anywhere on uniforms.

Yankees-logo.gif

That's a pretty big list. With some really nice logos on it.

logos_zps10ff5919.png

The Yankees may be a rare (and the most obvious) example where none of the colors in the big hat logo are on the uni but in many if not most cases there almost have to be detail colors (the gold tomahawk strapping for the Braves) where it wouldn't make sense to jam them into the uni just to have all the colors.

Every single post on this thread I have absolutely no problem with. They're details that are too small to even notice for me. If a striping pattern is different on the pants than on the helmet, who the hell cares

angry-fans.jpg

BAN! BAN! BAN! BAN!

JK. While I can (almost but not really) see your point in cases like Ohio State, if this doesn't bother you then you may be on the wrong board.

4d0c36f919150.image.jpg

Sadly, your attitude leads me to believe you might be the person in charge of uni decisions in New Orleans because nobody down there (see Pels also) seems to care whatsoever about image.

BTW, besides being a damn fine RB, Pierre Thomas also does a passable impression of a one-armed man. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I don't feel like posting a pic right now, but I've seen a number of softball jerseys with either the school name or nickname in script....and the word SOFTBALL or FASTPITCH on the tail. Granted, never seen it on a college jersey, but a few high school teams in my area do it off and on, and I feel it looks dumb. You don't see "BASEBALL" on the Dodgers underscore, do you?

Yes yes yes. I hate when teams do that. I work for a sporting goods store and everytime someone wants to put baseball/softball etc. in the tail I try to talk them out of it, but they think it's the coolest thing ever. Like people are not going to know what your playing while watching you.

Yes yes yes. I hate when teams do that. I work for a sporting goods store and everytime someone wants to put baseball/softball etc. in the tail I try to talk them out of it, but they think it's the coolest thing ever. Like people are not going to know what your playing while watching you.

Cue another Bluesky airline reference (hey, at least they're relevant). The obvious nature of why a big silver plane full of people was flying somewhere is why American dropped "Airlines" from its aircraft in the 1968 makeover.

3123115439_604729b30d.jpg

73031%20707-123%20N7554A%20American%20le

Turning to "you learn something new every day," I never realized 707s carried the "(type of plane) LuxuryJet" nose titles (widebodies said "LuxuryLiner."

As long as we're discussing details, the tarnished reputation of the DC-10 after several incidents & accidents led AA to replace "DC-10" with "American Airlines" on DC-10 noses.

0042082.jpg

153-AA-N168AA-3.jpg

Okay, that last bit wasn't relevant but I can't help myself.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

whitepants_article_3_053113.jpg

^Why the random gray?

Because it looks good? Is that not reason enough, anymore?

I love the Giants uniform... top 5 in the NFL easy IMO. And if you asked me why I love it, my list of reasons would match up exactly with everyone's complaints.

I'm a cowboys fan and I think the giants set is arguably the best in the league. Everytime someone posts an old giants pic with outlined numbers I just don't understand how those can look better. Sure these don't utilize all the team colors on each jersey, but I don't really think they have to.

I'm probably the only one that likes the Bruins' current numbers more than the old ones. White and yellow look bad next to each other. Adding the white outline to the yellow numbers made it look too thick because you couldn't differentiate between the two colors. Adding black in between does wonders.

But that's just my opinion.

I'm with you on that.

I also agree and want to add that I always preferred the double outline look for the Saints' jerseys.

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

What little thing bugs me is when the nameplate is a single color (or 2 color on three color numbers), but the numbers are one or two outlines. Why doesn't the nameplate match? Ex TB Bucs. It's not for spacing as the Jags older unis had them. Another little thing that bothers me is when you have a wordmark with multiple colors and a single color number. The final little thing is when you have a team with nice uniform colors and use the trim (Miami Canes football) and the other sports use a single color, but the tertiary colors on stripes (Hurricane basketball/baseball).

Nameplate lettering is considerably smaller than the numbers on the fronts/backs, and sometimes the sleeves. Therefore, to retain legibility, the lettering needs to be as clear as possible. Multiple outlines makes the lettering hard to read from a distance, and even on TV. If you can't read the name, what's the point of having it? The Cincinnati Reds and Texas Rangers are big examples of this.

When I make a concept (a rarity lately) my rule of thumb is this: one-color lettering always looks good. If the numbers are single-outlined, the letters may be as well. If the numbers are double-outlined or shadowed, the letters will be single color.

I give Nike credit for this lately...with the crop of unique fonts trotted out for a lot of the collegiate teams, the lettering has stayed very basic.

And for outlining, the more plain the style of numbers (varsity block usually), the better it looks with outlines and shadows.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Yankees-logo.gif

logos_zps10ff5919.png

What color is in the Sharks logo that isn't in their uniforms? Or the Knicks?

logos_zps10ff5919.png

To me that depends on the logo. What I really hate is when a team has a colour really important to their identity that isn't found anywhere in the logo. (Canucks Green, Redskins Burgundy, Chiefs Yellow, etc.)

Or vice versa, like the Coyotes having black and sand in their logos, but not having them anywhere in their uniforms (aside from the 3rd jersey).

Knicks

Yankees-logo.gif

logos_zps10ff5919.png

What color is in the Sharks logo that isn't in their uniforms? Or the Knicks?

You're right on the sharks... I was thinking that was just a generic hockey stick color, but, yeah, they wear orange now.

The Knicks logo has gray... does the current uni?

Yankees-logo.gif

logos_zps10ff5919.png

Holy crap, I'm a Pistons fan, and I never even noticed that they use two different blues in their logo.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

whitepants_article_3_053113.jpg

^Why the random gray?

Because it looks good? Is that not reason enough, anymore?

I love the Giants uniform... top 5 in the NFL easy IMO. And if you asked me why I love it, my list of reasons would match up exactly with everyone's complaints.

I'm a cowboys fan and I think the giants set is arguably the best in the league. Everytime someone posts an old giants pic with outlined numbers I just don't understand how those can look better. Sure these don't utilize all the team colors on each jersey, but I don't really think they have to.

I also think the Giants' current set is one of the best in the league. They tried putting both blue and red on the road jersey in the Kerry Collins years, and to me it looked purple from a distance:

05+-+2002+Giants+@+49ers.jpg

I like the current red-only version much better.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

What little thing bugs me is when the nameplate is a single color (or 2 color on three color numbers), but the numbers are one or two outlines. Why doesn't the nameplate match? Ex TB Bucs. It's not for spacing as the Jags older unis had them. Another little thing that bothers me is when you have a wordmark with multiple colors and a single color number. The final little thing is when you have a team with nice uniform colors and use the trim (Miami Canes football) and the other sports use a single color, but the tertiary colors on stripes (Hurricane basketball/baseball).

Nameplate lettering is considerably smaller than the numbers on the fronts/backs, and sometimes the sleeves. Therefore, to retain legibility, the lettering needs to be as clear as possible. Multiple outlines makes the lettering hard to read from a distance, and even on TV. If you can't read the name, what's the point of having it? The Cincinnati Reds and Texas Rangers are big examples of this.

Case in point.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived