• Please log in to reply
664 replies to this topic

#221 WSU151

WSU151
  • Creating something totally illogical

• Members
  • 6,517 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 20:01

That the stars in these logos are too similar. 2 white stars identically beveled in silver. One needs to be different from the other...

jhepegs329pc7ugyypebl28wg.gif1079172014.gif

The bevels are slightly different.  Check out the right point.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

#222 One13Truck

One13Truck

• Members
  • 4 posts

• Favourite Logos:Current & old Falcons
      Pittsburgh Pirates
      Pittsburgh Panthers panther head
      Pittsburgh penguins hummingbird

Posted August 13, 2013 - 20:09

Those Chiefs jerseys bug me in a different way. I HATE that they moved the sleeve striping from the base of the arms to halfway up the sleeves.

I also hate the lack of silver/gray in the Partiots road uniforms and despite the fact they should be applauded for still wearing the socks with stripes on the road the ones they do wear annoy me. The stripe pattern and colors look like a pair of cheap athletic socks I would go to my local KMart and buy for gym class when I was in school. 

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am!!!

#223 TaylorMade

TaylorMade

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 20:25

That the stars in these logos are too similar. 2 white stars identically beveled in silver. One needs to be different from the other...

Well, there's a new one. Why is the beveling off on the Stars logo?

#224 wonderbread

wonderbread

• Banned
  • 4,045 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 21:45

Well, there's a new one. Why is the beveling off on the Stars logo?
Becaus its more accurate of where the ahading would be, vesus just having every other section being shaded like the blue jacket one, also the columbus one is alot more skewed than dallas, its hard to make beveled stars look different, and i feel they did

#225 phutmasterflex

phutmasterflex

• Members
  • 2,247 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 21:54

yeah, beveling is not off on the Stars logo. Imagine if the sun was shining down from the top left of the image. The shading works according to that and it's correct

Posted Image

#226 Sodboy13

Sodboy13
  • Phoenix is a bangwagon town

• Members
  • 9,523 posts

• Favourite Logos:Barcelona Dragons
      Hartford Whalers
      US Soccer Rattlesnake
      Joliet Slammers "J-Bird"
      NBA All-Star New Orleans Crawfish

Posted August 13, 2013 - 22:56

I love the Arizona Diamondbacks' original look. However:

20130813_225040_zps90aa0e1c.jpg

You can not have your team's colors be purple, teal, copper, and black, include copper in the cap logo and the sleeve patch, and then use gold instead in the wordmark, numbers, and sleeve trim because, eh, close enough. No. Bad baseball team. No biscuit.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

Now rambling my inane hockey thoughts at Hockey Brunch in Chicago; Noted twit - @hockeybrunch
PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

#227 mrmitch999

mrmitch999

• Members
  • 76 posts

• Favourite Logos:Cincinnati Reds "Mr.Redlegs"; Duke Blue Devils "Laughing Devil"; Cincinnati Bengals "Leaping Tiger"

Posted August 13, 2013 - 23:18

Sorry for large pic, but black shadow in the Royals' logo has bothered me. Why does it need to be there?fmrl2b6xf5hruiike42gn62yu.gif

#228 TalktoChuck

TalktoChuck
  • Dig In!

• Members
  • 3,625 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 23:23

To add a little bit of depth. With that said, they could do without it.

gif_300x117_92692e_zps992a1e16.gif

#229 FGWB

FGWB
  • Come at me bro

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 23:27

I hate it when consumer products feature elements (logo, wordmark, numbering, etc) that are inconsistent. For example, this Predators clock features the current logo with the teams previous numbers.

...I know right...

51fmqnDLJJL._SX342_.jpg

And one day working at the Sabres Store, I noticed all our Vanek shirts that recently came in all had slug numbers on them. People still bought them.

Posted Image

#230 dbadefense1990

dbadefense1990
  • I'm dead, inside and out. I'm just dead.

• Members
  • 4,102 posts

• Favourite Logos:All NBA Playoffs and Finals logos, late 1980s-early 2000s.

Posted August 14, 2013 - 00:45

The skyline in the mets logo looks nothing like new york.

m01gfgeorgvbfw15fy04alujm.gif
7427256-new-york-city-manhattan-skyline-

Could it be representing the New York City skyline of the 1960s, when the logo was made?

#231 jgiff17

jgiff17

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 01:22

Panthers shoulder stripes

for the love of god FIX THIS!!!!

58132_642287615784248_1324399372_n.jpg
Carolina_DeAngeloWilliams.jpg

not only that but also the fact that their helmet stripes are NEVER consistent:

Armanti+Edwards+Chicago+Bears+v+Carolina
Carolina+Panthers+v+Oakland+Raiders+vRTw

the stripes are NEVER the same from player to player...sooooooo annoying

How bout those helmet stripes?! From watching many games and or highlights the panthers have always had this problem! I can see a high school student equipment manager doing this but this is an nfl team! The ravens and titans have similar stripes and I've never blatantly noticed that there's are inconsistent but from the first preseason game ever of the panthers this has always been a major problem!

#232 kbaker19

kbaker19
  • Is mayonnaise an instrument?

• Members
  • 846 posts

• Favourite Logos:Ball-in-glove logo

Posted August 14, 2013 - 03:17

temp1_2013UniReveal--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.

Sorry for the large image, but the inconsistency of the striping on the new Vikings uniforms bothers me.  The purple jersey and pants are good, with the white-purple-yellow striping.  However, the white jersey and pants are purple-white-yellow and purple-yellow-purple respectively.

34hhyc2.jpg2aj5hmu.jpg

Thanks to DaRadniz29 for the chrome treated logos.

#233 RyanMcD29

RyanMcD29
  • Not like I'm spending my summer with a Mets avatar..

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 05:46

The skyline in the mets logo looks nothing like new york.

Could it be representing the New York City skyline of the 1960s, when the logo was made?

Nope, it's basically a representation of the tallest building in each borough during the team's inception

CCSLCSig2014_zps354cde84.png

#HOTSPROTSTAKES (mainly dealing with my teams or sports media, sometimes personal life interwoven) @RyanMcD29

THE FACEOFF: A weekly college lacrosse infographic at College Crosse

#234 Gothamite

Gothamite
  • five boroughs, one City.

• Members
  • 22,341 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 06:36

Yeah, I don't see the problem with that one. It's a stylized skyline featuring elements from various boroughs.

That's the best possible solution in a city where the skyline is always changing. They would have had to add the Twin Towers, then the Citibank building, then Time Warner, then remove the Twin Towers, then add the Times building.... Far better to use a composite skyline made up of landmarks.

#235 Wally1912

Wally1912

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 09:57

I can't stand baseball teams that don't use evenly spaced buttons on jerseys without lettering sewn on the placket. The Red Sox, Yankees, and Tigers are prime examples of this, but there are many others as well.

9508028587_7ce34f82f2_o.png

9510822550_6cc076a53d_h.jpg

Teams that do it right include the Cubs and Nationals.

pMLB2-5669270dt.jpgpMLB2-5427989dt.jpg

What's funny is that the White Sox did it right on their throwbacks last season, but the regular jerseys suffer from the giant gap.

$T2eC16NHJGwE9n%29ySfM1BQtLoqM%29,g~~60_

tigers-white-sox-baseball.jpeg-1280x960.

#236 Gold Pinstripes

Gold Pinstripes

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:29

One small detail which has bothered me in recent years has been the tiny size of school names or nicknames on college football jerseys. Universities like Texas and Oklahoma have it right with the larger size, but countless other schools prefer the microscopic version. If the Longhorns and Sooners can find a way to place patches around the jersey such as conference affilation, why can't others? There seemed to be many more schools with the bigger sizing years ago. 

One NBA example which irks me is the tiny size of the words Golden State on their jerseys. Years ago, the sizing was larger, and seemed more suitable. It's weird to me, if you have room for the larger lettering, why not use it?    

#237 BrandMooreArt

BrandMooreArt
  • Independent Graphic Artist

• Members
  • 3,372 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:47

- Colts double-stripes everywhere but the helmet where they use the single stripe.

I ve heard this from a few people before but ill take a stab at defending it

Why i like it is because it adds variety and repetition at the same time. Think of the space between the stripes on the blue jersey. That negative blue space is reflected in the single helmet stripe. As are the numbers And The logo, both solid 1 color applications.

But it also adds instant variety from the other stripes which is, IMO, an interesting principle of design. Where the double stripes are used, there is always a double use of it: both sides of the pants, both sides of the jersey, and used to be on both socks. The single use of the helmet stripe makes the design seem balanced and marks a nice center point on the uniform.

I think there is also a branding advantage. Its just another adjustment from the Jets design which is overall very similar. Its a way to differentiate the two helmets as much as possible

#238 OnWis97

OnWis97
  • It should always be Christmas in New Jersey

• Members
  • 6,372 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:51

I can't stand baseball teams that don't use evenly spaced buttons on jerseys without lettering sewn on the placket. The Red Sox, Yankees, and Tigers are prime examples of this, but there are many others as well.

(Photos)

I either never noticed this or never thought long enough about it.  Now it'll drive me nuts forever.  I should not have looked at this thread.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#239 CDixonDesign

CDixonDesign

• Members
  • 3,580 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 12:43

(Photos)

I either never noticed this or never thought long enough about it.  Now it'll drive me nuts forever.  I should not have looked at this thread.

Probably a "universal" base template to allow spacing for teams that have chest wordmarks. Some teams just may not care that much about it. 

#240 wILL-INI

wILL-INI

• Members
  • 729 posts

• Favourite Logos:Chief Illiniwek &
      Blue Jackets Third &
      Arsenal Primary &
      too many to list...

Posted August 14, 2013 - 12:49

I hate it when consumer products feature elements (logo, wordmark, numbering, etc) that are inconsistent. For example, this Predators clock features the current logo with the teams previous numbers.

...I know right...

51fmqnDLJJL._SX342_.jpg

And one day working at the Sabres Store, I noticed all our Vanek shirts that recently came in all had slug numbers on them. People still bought them.

Something more related to the Sabres logo. I can't stand the outlines on the buffalo, the sabres, and the motion lines, and all over the bounding circle. Unnecessary, and muddies up a great logo. 

$T2eC16V,!)QE9s3HFd1jBR3znWOd1!~~60_35.J

it should be a total throw back to this. 

220px-BuffaloSabres1980s.png

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

Posted Image

Portfolio

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hogsstrom