664 replies to this topic

#241 kbaker19

kbaker19
  • Is mayonnaise an instrument?

• Members
  • 846 posts

• Favourite Logos:Ball-in-glove logo

Posted August 14, 2013 - 13:03

I hate it when consumer products feature elements (logo, wordmark, numbering, etc) that are inconsistent. For example, this Predators clock features the current logo with the teams previous numbers.

...I know right...

51fmqnDLJJL._SX342_.jpg

And one day working at the Sabres Store, I noticed all our Vanek shirts that recently came in all had slug numbers on them. People still bought them.

Something more related to the Sabres logo. I can't stand the outlines on the buffalo, the sabres, and the motion lines, and all over the bounding circle. Unnecessary, and muddies up a great logo. 

$T2eC16V,!)QE9s3HFd1jBR3znWOd1!~~60_35.J

it should be a total throw back to this. 

220px-BuffaloSabres1980s.png

Going one step further, I don't like the "motion lines" in the logo.  I just don't see it.

34hhyc2.jpg2aj5hmu.jpg

Thanks to DaRadniz29 for the chrome treated logos.

#242 McCarthy

McCarthy
  • WOLF GREY

• Members
  • 11,184 posts

• Favourite Logos:Houston Texans
      Hartford Whalers
      Minnesota Wild
      Florida Everblades
      Manitoba Moose

Posted August 14, 2013 - 13:50

Since the Pistons unveiled a new uniform today it reminded me of another small detail that bothers me. 

I hate how the brighter color on the side stripes is at the front of the uniform. I can't even explain why, but I wish the blue and red were flipped. 

Corey+Maggette+Orlando+Magic+v+Detroit+P

#243 BrandMooreArt

BrandMooreArt
  • Independent Graphic Artist

• Members
  • 3,515 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 14:52

Since the Pistons unveiled a new uniform today it reminded me of another small detail that bothers me. 

I hate how the brighter color on the side stripes is at the front of the uniform. I can't even explain why, but I wish the blue and red were flipped. 

Corey+Maggette+Orlando+Magic+v+Detroit+P

same here. for me, its because the front elements (number and word mark) are in red, and i would like to see the contrast of blue next (or close) to them

#244 kutztown

kutztown

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 15:55

While I love the throwback esque Flyers uniforms...I hate the black nameplate on the back of the white road jersey. 

doc517c9c103bd19925465063.jpg

The white nameplate on the orange jerseys are awesome because they are historically accurate. In this case, not so much. 

#245 wonderbread

wonderbread

• Banned
  • 4,045 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 16:11

While I love the throwback esque Flyers uniforms...I hate the black nameplate on the back of the white road jersey. 

The white nameplate on the orange jerseys are awesome because they are historically accurate. In this case, not so much. 

I hate those uniforms because of the contrasting nameplates, and i dont care if its historically accurate, it doesnt change the fact that it looks like :censored:, and how the shoulder numbers dont fit on the stripe, i believe the stripe should be widened a bit so the double digit numbers fit as well

#246 RyanMcD29

RyanMcD29
  • The opposite of the Jets and Syracuse football! Really!

• Members
  • 2,975 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 17:53

Just realized one today that was probably brought up earlier, but I'm not going through 12.5 pages to find it

The yellow on the Bruins' uniforms being different from the yellow on the spokes of the crest

DL_0222_Rask_Bergeron.jpg

P4286330.jpg

It's way more noticeable on a replica jersey FWIW

CCSLCSig2014_zps354cde84.png

harvickchampionshipsig_zpsccb3de4b.png

#HOTSPROTSTAKES (mainly dealing with my teams or sports media, sometimes personal life interwoven) @RyanMcD29

THE FACEOFF: A weekly college lacrosse infographic at College Crosse

#247 ralphierce

ralphierce

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 17:59

I hate those uniforms because of the contrasting nameplates, and i dont care if its historically accurate, it doesnt change the fact that it looks like :censored:, and how the shoulder numbers dont fit on the stripe, i believe the stripe should be widened a bit so the double digit numbers fit as well

If the nameplates are in orange to match the numbers (with black names), that would be fine and perfectly contrasted.

#248 njmeadowlanders

njmeadowlanders
  • @GoldAsIce

• Members
  • 5,366 posts

• Favourite Logos:New York Mets

Posted August 14, 2013 - 18:06

The skyline in the mets logo looks nothing like new york.

Could it be representing the New York City skyline of the 1960s, when the logo was made?

Nope, it's basically a representation of the tallest building in each borough during the team's inception

From the Mets media guide every year since at least 1998:

The circular Mets logo, designed by sports cartoonist Ray Gatto, was unveiled on November 16, 1961. It has gone virtually unchanged throughout the history of the club. The shape of the insignia, with its orange stitching, represents a baseball, and the bridge in the foreground symbolizes that the Mets, in bringing back the National League to New York, represent all five boroughs. It's not just a skyline in the background, but has a special meaning. At the left is a church spire, symbolic of Brooklyn, the borough of churches. The second building from the left is the Williamsburg Savings Bank, the tallest building in Brooklyn. Next is the Woolworth Building. After a general skyline view of midtown comes the Empire State Building. At the far right is the United Nations Building.

----------

Actually, the one thing that's bugged me as a lifelong Met fan is that the script is off between the M and E.  The tail of the M should seamlessly flow into the lower case E.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

#249 wonderbread

wonderbread

• Banned
  • 4,045 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 18:14

If the nameplates are in orange to match the numbers (with black names), that would be fine and perfectly contrasted.
That would be worse, nameplates should never be contrasted like that, makes it look like an after thought and were like hey we are just gonna put this extra orange or black or what ever on the white jersey, or white on the orange jersey and hope people dont care too much

#250 Gothamite

Gothamite
  • five boroughs, one City.

• Members
  • 23,112 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 19:56

Actually, the one thing that's bugged me as a lifelong Met fan is that the script is off between the M and E.  The tail of the M should seamlessly flow into the lower case E.

You've reminded me about the thing that bugs me: the two different scripts.

m01gfgeorgvbfw15fy04alujm.gif
9ut95mieetoye2rnzefaiwjh7.gif

Look at the bottom of the jersey script "M" - that strange angled time. Ugly - the logo version of the script, where it's straight with the bottom of the other letters, is so much better.

I get that the jersey letters need to be spaced out a little to fit on the jersey, but there's no excuse for that "M".

#251 illini1

illini1

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 20:11

The proportions of the helmet stripes (good) vs. the proportions of the pants stripe (bad).
nh5742542.jpg

The pant striping has been corrected this year.

#252 wILL-INI

wILL-INI

• Members
  • 737 posts

• Favourite Logos:Chief Illiniwek &
      Blue Jackets Third &
      Arsenal Primary &
      too many to list...

Posted August 14, 2013 - 20:14

The proportions of the helmet stripes (good) vs. the proportions of the pants stripe (bad).
nh5742542.jpg

The pant striping has been corrected this year.

Indeed... Nice

BRZvvgqCYAAdh6E.jpg

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

Posted Image

Portfolio

#253 illini1

illini1

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 20:14

- That stupid stupid stupid way the Bills helmet stripe flares out in the back
media_6672709c8067473ebf263d8e1e07f571_t
billsunisx-large.jpg

I hate that too. The only thing I can think of is that the helmet stripe is supposed to match the stripe on the buffalo in the logo.

#254 CS85

CS85
  • resident joyless turd

• Members
  • 13,566 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 20:21

The black stripe on it pisses me off more.

#255 phutmasterflex

phutmasterflex

• Members
  • 2,450 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 20:36

What black stripe?

Posted Image

#256 BigBubba

BigBubba
  • 11/12/31

• Members
  • 4,487 posts

• Favourite Logos:Ball in Glove, Whalers, North Stars, Robo-Pen

Posted August 14, 2013 - 20:36

I always thought it was navy...

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

PotD: 29/1/12

#257 BrandMooreArt

BrandMooreArt
  • Independent Graphic Artist

• Members
  • 3,515 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 20:37

i never even noticed that before. WTF?? or is it navy? either way, it dosent need to be there

#258 Gothamite

Gothamite
  • five boroughs, one City.

• Members
  • 23,112 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 20:46

It is navy.

They added small touches of navy to the uniform when they brought it back so they could continue to sell navy merchandise.

If they hadn't, then "the Bills are wearing navy sideline gear when they don't have any navy in their uniforms" would be added to the thread about those small details that bother us. :)

#259 vmd9

vmd9

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 20:49

- That stupid stupid stupid way the Bills helmet stripe flares out in the back

billsunisx-large.jpg

I really dislike the whole uniform. But most of all I hate when teams have shiny, iron-on looking stripes. Another team I can think of that does this is the Cowboys.

Any type of shiny stripes, numbers, or fabric just looks cheap. One of the reasons I wish teams like Green Bay and Philadephia would have switched to the new Nike template.

Posted Image

#260 mjrbaseball

mjrbaseball
  • I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 21:04

The upper end of the bat in the Yankees wordmark is cut off as though it were still covered by the hat in the primary logo.

1261.gif

1256.gif

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hogsstrom