Small details that bother you

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whitepants_article_3_053113.jpg

^Why the random gray?

It's not random - gray is a team color.

It's randomly-placed in the pants but not the jersey or actual helmet. They don't use it consistently. The only part of the uniform it shows up in is the pants.

87Redskins.png

^Why the random gray?

It's randomly-placed in the pants but not the jersey or actual helmet. They don't use it consistently. The only part of the uniform it shows up in is the pants.

It shows up on the facemask.

Hated that the old Bronco helmet had the bronco facing backwards on one side. I understand the official logo is correct, but other teams have adjusted the logo to have the animal face the same way as the player.

Denver_Broncos_Old_Retro_Helmet_Right_Fa
helmetdolphins.jpgboise-state-university-football-automati
texas-christian-university-football-helm

And Wisconsin curves their logo outward on both sides.

wisconsin-helmet.jpg

Perhaps, but reversing the horse without reversing the D would look all manner of goofy.

^Why the random gray?

Yes - all the Giants' pants use blue, red and gray, as does the helmet. Because those are the three team colors.

As for not having any gray on the jersey, the Giants (rather notoriously) only use one color on each of their jerseys - blue at home, red on the road.

So really, your question shouldn't be "Why the random gray?" but rather "what's with the single-color jerseys?"

Perhaps, but reversing the horse without reversing the D would look all manner of goofy.

^Why the random gray?

Yes - all the Giants' pants use blue, red and gray, as does the helmet. Because those are the three team colors.

As for not having any gray on the jersey, the Giants (rather notoriously) only use one color on each of their jerseys - blue at home, red on the road.

So really, your question shouldn't be "Why the random gray?" but rather "what's with the single-color jerseys?"

That was my FIRST issue. :D

87Redskins.png

The Ravens reverse the bird to accommodate the "B" on the helmet

I messed up the quote, but I blame being off and Budweiser...

KISSwall09.jpg

The NFL has a ton of these little details that bother me.

There are more but these are just off the top of my head.

- The Seahawks gray/white pants have no green in them.

- The Browns pants stripe is not the inverse of their helmet stripe. Should be brown-orange-brown.

- Shoulder loops on the Colts and Jets don’t go to the base of the armpit like they should.

- The Vikings sleeve stripe on the white jersey doesn’t match the stripe on the white pants.

- The Rams shoulder stripes on the blue jersey use white as the outermost stripe but on the white jerseys gold touches the navy blue sleeve. Switch white with gold placement on the blue jersey and you’re left with better consistency from blue jersey to white jersey.

- The Texans refusing to wear red socks on the road.

- The Eagles use of “charcoal” when silver/gray would work and look so much better.

- The way the 49ers deliberately truncate their sleeve stripes despite moving the numbers to the shoulders. You have arm space to show all three stripes.

- How the stripe widths on the Chiefs’ socks are different than those of their pants and sleeves.

- How the Jets insist on wearing their white striped socks when they wear the white jerseys with white pants. The solid green socks look so much better with that look.

- How the Saints pants stripe doesn’t match their helmet stripe.

I was going to post something in this thread, but you just nailed my every NFL complaint. I couldn't possibly agree more about everthing you've said here.

The Ravens reverse the bird to accommodate the "B" on the helmet

I messed up the quote, but I blame being off and Budweiser...
No worries. But as for the Ravens, you proved my point.

The only thing worse than their regular logo:

Baltimore_Ravens_Helmet.jpg

Is the reversed version used only on the helmets.

BaltimoreRavensReverseHelmet.jpg

That's why the Broncos didn't do it.

One more NFL complaint: the Redskins, depending upon the combination, have no stripe configurations that match across the entire uniform (helmet, sleeves, pants, socks).

I agree as a Skins fan. They just swiped the 70s George Allen pants from the 75th throwbacks and I LOVE the gold pants, but if they took the two stripes from the regular burgundy or white pants and used them on the gold pants...perfection. They'd match the jersey sleeves also. Ditch the 70s socks too. I'm guessing Bruce Allen is just feeling nostalgic.

This would be perfect, since I don't think 2 stripes on the helmet would look right::

dt11gold2-copia.png

87Redskins.png

I've always hated the inverse side of the Ravens helmet. Looks horrible with the B flipped the wrong way, I don't understand why the bird needs a B tattoo on his head...put the bird on top of the B if you must have it, then it won't look so goofy on one side of the helmet.

They almost look like ears on the bird, especially on the flipped left side.

87Redskins.png

How the middle outline is thicker than the outermost one...white should not be more prominent than the orange. Heck, get rid of the white altogether and just have a single orange outline.

Ryan-Nugent-Hopkins-jersey-Edmonton-Oile

Which leads me to this...

Double outlining in general. For me, if you need to double outline, there is something wrong with your design.

san-diego-chargers-85-antonio-gates-foot

Yes. I can't stand double-outlines.

Neely8BruinsBlack_back_l.jpg

Looks infinitely better than this:

tyler-seguin-nathan-horton-2010-6-29-19-

Though if you have only a white outline, make it thin like '80s numbers had, especially with the NoB...it makes them easier to read.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

Double outlines are terrible, lazy design that makes names and numbers less legible and thereby defeats the whole purpose.

I really hate blanket statements like this. (Not you personally, Goth, just the content of the statement--just so we're clear ;) .) Not everything should be judged by the same set of criteria...sometimes you gotta go on a case-by-case basis. Terrible, yeah many times it is--but lazy? Wouldn't go that far...it takes a very keen eye and understanding of color relationship to successfully pull off the double outline effect.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are about as good an example as there is of this...if you look at their identity package, it has something of a comic-book look and feel to it. Now check out their numbers: double-outlined, with the outermost black being super-thick, which in my eyes helps push the comic-like effect even further, not to mention set it off from the orange much better. (That they applied this to--watch this one--regular block numbers only further enhances the contemporary feel of them...and I know how some of y'all are about those block numbers :P. ) That said, and I mentioned this earlier in this thread, the orange they use is too dark...a brighter one would help set it off from the red much easier when the two colors touch; as is, they bleed together. If one wants to call that a "fail", well...he/she probably wouldn't exactly be "wrong" about it.

Then there's the case of the San Diego Chargers. They use light blue and yellow outlines. The problem here, aside from both outlines being the same thickness, is (regular) blue and yellow when mixed together create green...which is why the Chargers' double outline just doesn't work, since in no way shape or form is green anywhere in their visual identity.

Now this brings up another good point...there are instances where "color mixing" actually can work to the benefit of the identity. As a hypothetical, let's use the Calgary Flames and Miami Heat here. Let's say for the sake of the argument that they were to use black as the base color for their numbers (both teams actually have done this at some point in their history). Here's where a double-outline and color mixing might can actually work: red and yellow together, when viewed from a distance, can create orange. However, all three of those colors--red, yellow, and orange--can be seen in a flame, and as such, given the right color order and thickness (we'll say that the red is twice as thick as the yellow), an inner red/outer yellow outline can give off a "glowing" effect (and granted this effect would work much better on a white jersey; on a red background you'd probably have to trade out the outer yellow for outer white).

All that said, I don't know that some graphic artists think that deep into the creative process and instead just do double-outlines "just because"--that's when you can call it full-out laziness. And then you end up with stuff like the Chargers and now the Miami Dolphins numbers--which are worth noting because if you notice, the navy thickness on the helmets and pants is MUCH thicker than on the numbers themselves. Don't know who greenlighted that, but THAT is what I'd consider "lazy", or at any rate unattentive.

Okay I done rambled on enough about this...back to y'alls regular conversation. Don't mind me. ;)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Agreed about the double outlines thing on the NHL jerseys. However I don't really like no-outlined numbers either (they look kinda flat - which I guess they are), so one outline is the way to go for me. Makes them look simple and strong.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The NFL has a ton of these little details that bother me.

There are more but these are just off the top of my head.

- The Seahawks gray/white pants have no green in them.

- The Browns pants stripe is not the inverse of their helmet stripe. Should be brown-orange-brown.

- Shoulder loops on the Colts and Jets don’t go to the base of the armpit like they should.

- The Vikings sleeve stripe on the white jersey doesn’t match the stripe on the white pants.

- The Rams shoulder stripes on the blue jersey use white as the outermost stripe but on the white jerseys gold touches the navy blue sleeve. Switch white with gold placement on the blue jersey and you’re left with better consistency from blue jersey to white jersey.

- The Texans refusing to wear red socks on the road.

- The Eagles use of “charcoal” when silver/gray would work and look so much better.

- The way the 49ers deliberately truncate their sleeve stripes despite moving the numbers to the shoulders. You have arm space to show all three stripes.

- How the stripe widths on the Chiefs’ socks are different than those of their pants and sleeves.

- How the Jets insist on wearing their white striped socks when they wear the white jerseys with white pants. The solid green socks look so much better with that look.

- How the Saints pants stripe doesn’t match their helmet stripe.

I agree with all of these (except the Browns pant stripe, I don't have a problem with it) so I'll add a few of my own:

-The Lions super thin helmet stripe

-How the Panthers helmet stripe is different from the pant stripe. The helmet would look infinitely better with the stripe from the pants.

-The Bears GSH on the jersey stripe. If it were up to me, I would put it above the NOB.

I also hate the extra white outlines on white Rev30 jerseys

Double outlining can look great if it's done right. This is just a quick example, but the Avs look great with double outlined numbers (i.e, on the aways, I wouldn't want them to have black numbers outlined in just silver or just blue. Using both colors is a sharp look.)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived