Time For Arizona Cardinals To Change Name

suns1977

Forgive my NOOBiness if this topic has already been discussed.

I'm a native to Arizona, and was ecstatic when we got an NFL team. Sucks it had to be a team owned by Bill Bidwill, but I digress.

But for the hell of it, can we discuss the team name and how it has NOTHING to do with this state? Yes, it's the Bidwill's team, and I understand a franchise's history, tradition, blah, blah, blah.

But if it were up to YOU to change the name, what would you come up with?

And yes, comical answers are desired here.

StLouis_zps323ac69f.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought Vipers or Scorpions would be a cool name. Maybe use dark green and copper for colors to give the identity a desert feel. I'm trying to come up with some good sounding non-creature names that might fit. Mirage or Saguaros could have some potential.

Actually, Cardinals are found in the south-southeast part of Arizona. Below is a map showing where Cardinals can be found in the North America.

Northern_Cardinal-rangemap.gif

You used wikipedia for the Northern Cardinal.

The Desert Cardinal (Pyrrhuloxia)

It still does not change the fact that Cardinals exist in Arizona. Now if they were named the Orioles, then I would understand your dilemma.

spacer.png

I'd re-name them the Phoenix Cardinals again. :)

If we're going to get this picky about where birds live...there's not even an actual creature called a Seahawk and I live near Philly and rarely see any eagles.

87Redskins.png

If we're going to get this picky about where birds live...there's not even an actual creature called a Seahawk and I live near Philly and rarely see any eagles.

But the eagles, specifically BALD eagles are synonymous with our country's 'liberty' and 'freedom'.

What better city to equate that with than Philadelphia? Something about a Declaration of Independence and stuff. :)

Sea hawk is another name for Osprey.

niagaraq.png

The Arizona Cardinals are already an established name here in Arizona(especially the Phoenix area). We know that there are Cardinals here. If this was 1988, I can understand, but now now after 25 years of being the Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals

The Cardinals are the oldest franchise in the NFL and have carried their name through three locations and four name changes (Chicago Cardinals, St. Louis Cardinals, Phoenix Cardinals, Arizona Cardinals). Changing it "just because"? That's what's wrong with modern sports design, in my opinion.

I've been a die-hard Cardinals fan since most of you were even born (I go back to 1969, when I was 6), but even I would have supported a name change back in '88. "Firebirds" would have been my choice - they even could have kept a Red bird on the helmet.

Now however, it would be horribly costly to change - not only for merchandise, but the myriad of logos all over University of Phoenix Stadium itself. Including on every permanent seat in the place.

Little known fact - the very first sighting of a northern cardinal bird in the state of Arizona was in the year - wait for it - 1988.

I kid you not.

Oh - and on one of the AZ Cardinals boards I frequent, one of the now late members of the forum was a bird watcher and was a fan of the Pyrrhuloxia - the Desert Cardinal. I made this for his avatar:

ArizonaPyrrhuloxias_PRM_9999.png

It's a nickname for the Osprey, and just look at the photo, you can tell that's where the nickname comes from. The logo even has the same color separation as the birds' head/face.

450px-Osprey_mg_9605.jpg

Considering how old the cardinal name has been around I wouldn't want to see it changed. Me personally name changes shouldn't happen in pro sports if the team is already established. Especially animal names because their generic and can interchange with any team anywhere.

Sometimes if the team moves and it's named for something in the city (Utah Jazz) then yes change it.

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

I've been a die-hard Cardinals fan since most of you were even born (I go back to 1969, when I was 6), but even I would have supported a name change back in '88. "Firebirds" would have been my choice - they even could have kept a Red bird on the helmet.]

Firebirds would've been a very nice option. I think that's a great fit. Cardinals is fine, but if they did ever change I think Firebirds would be the the most acceptable option

90758391980.gif

Well if we're OK with the slang name Seahawks in place of the Ospreys...Redskins is acceptable for the same reason. :D

I've been a die-hard Cardinals fan since most of you were even born (I go back to 1969, when I was 6), but even I would have supported a name change back in '88. "Firebirds" would have been my choice - they even could have kept a Red bird on the helmet.]

Firebirds would've been a very nice option. I think that's a great fit. Cardinals is fine, but if they did ever change I think Firebirds would be the the most acceptable option

Ask Mozilla how using that name works out legally. :D

I do love the Vultures suggestion.

How about the Arizona Phoenix and use that mystical bird as the logo?

Really though, the NFL wouldn't be the same with the name Cardinals and that white helmet with the red bird logo on the side. Don't even update the helmet, ever. It's really a classic look in the NFL since it's creeping up on the century mark (1920) of the name being used....helmet since 1961.

87Redskins.png

Archived