Teams that need new venues

Evil G

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't the Jets get their own stadium? After all, it was originally the Giants stadium.

MetLife Stadium is a joint-owned venture between the two teams. They own it 50-50. To have one team leave now would be breaking their joint venture contract (which I believe has a 25-year agreement with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority).

The Sudbury Wolves could use a new arena, but I don't think the Burgess family is willing to dig into their own pockets for it exclusively. Improvements would have to come from an increase in taxes as well as corporate donations, because the only way Sudbury would get a new arena would be if it were part of a multi-use convention centre.

This topic has actually been bounced around many times in recent years by Greater Sudbury Council as they struggle to improve the conditions of our downtown core. We're not Detroit-bad in terms of insolvency, but the downtown isn't the greatest place to hang out, still.

With regard to the Argonauts - I am more than a little disappointed that the once-planned expansion to York U's stadium fell through, because it would be much easier to schedule home games with York U than with the Jays.

BUT - definitely keep the Dome available for future Grey Cups. Baseball never happens in November (even the WS), so it should not be a conflict.Why don't they expand Varsity Stadium and share it with U of T? They can then play playoff games at Rogers Centre, like how the Als do with the Olympic Stadium.

Shouldn't the Jets get their own stadium? After all, it was originally the Giants stadium.

MetLife Stadium is a joint-owned venture between the two teams. They own it 50-50. To have one team leave now would be breaking their joint venture contract (which I believe has a 25-year agreement with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority).

The Sudbury Wolves could use a new arena, but I don't think the Burgess family is willing to dig into their own pockets for it exclusively. Improvements would have to come from an increase in taxes as well as corporate donations, because the only way Sudbury would get a new arena would be if it were part of a multi-use convention centre.

This topic has actually been bounced around many times in recent years by Greater Sudbury Council as they struggle to improve the conditions of our downtown core. We're not Detroit-bad in terms of insolvency, but the downtown isn't the greatest place to hang out, still.

With regard to the Argonauts - I am more than a little disappointed that the once-planned expansion to York U's stadium fell through, because it would be much easier to schedule home games with York U than with the Jays.

BUT - definitely keep the Dome available for future Grey Cups. Baseball never happens in November (even the WS), so it should not be a conflict.

Why don't they expand Varsity Stadium and share it with U of T? They can then play playoff games at Rogers Centre, like how the Als do with the Olympic Stadium.

I thought I heard that the Argos wanted to move to BMO Field.

IEI5Tg1.png

I don't get why people think the Pistons need a new arena. It's 25 years old which isn't terribly old for an arena. It was still in good shape back when I went to see Michigan and SDSU back in March. While moving downtown would be nice, it is really out of the question. Current owner Tom Gores owns the Palace so there wouldn't be a need to move into an Illitch owned Red Wings stadium.

Also, the Phoenix Coyotes could use a new stadium. :P

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

There has never been a good argument for the Clippers to move to Anaheim, and there never will be. I don't know why people keep bringing it up. They have a sweet deal in a relatively new arena in the middle of a currently-being-rejuvenated downtown LA, and you want them to give it up to be the Ducks' tenants? It makes absolutely no sense.

I think the Clippers should move to the Honda Center. Whose with me?

There's literally no reason for the Clippers to move out of Staples and LA when the franchise is making money and selling tickets with the current arrangement. LA is a big enough market - especially when it comes to basketball - to support two teams.

Anaheim could have gotten them in the '90s, but it's probably not going to happen now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

As discussed on Basically a Sports Show® (live Thursday nights at 10pm ET at twitch.tv/basicallysports), I believe the Rays need a new stadium badly. Watching baseball games going down at the Trop is similar to being forced to take a dump into a coffee can behind a shuttered Arbys.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Flames need one. Lease is up on the Dome in 2014, and as we've seen now and will be for the future in a flood plain.

Many sites have been kicked around, north of the Stampede Grounds, west downtown, where the Greyhound Station and two large car dealerships sit, and the big one south of the University, where McMahon Stadium, our old baseball stadium and Hockey Canada is based.

That's the site that's rumored front runner to house the new Stadium and Arena. Especially if the city gets there way and adds a new transit hub in the area which includes new ways of transit and more retail and residential zoning. If they can pull an Edmonton and make it an urban revitalization project, could be easier.

Either way the Dome needs to stay at least 5 more years, after that turn it into a large indoor water park, it's too iconic in this city to get demolished.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Flames need one. Lease is up on the Dome in 2014, and as we've seen now and will be for the future in a flood plain.

Many sites have been kicked around, north of the Stampede Grounds, west downtown, where the Greyhound Station and two large car dealerships sit, and the big one south of the University, where McMahon Stadium, our old baseball stadium and Hockey Canada is based.

That's the site that's rumored front runner to house the new Stadium and Arena. Especially if the city gets there way and adds a new transit hub in the area which includes new ways of transit and more retail and residential zoning. If they can pull an Edmonton and make it an urban revitalization project, could be easier.

Either way the Dome needs to stay at least 5 more years, after that turn it into a large indoor water park, it's too iconic in this city to get demolished.

Calgary will face the same time bomb which Nashville is facing: Black Mold due to the arena flooding. Bridgestone Arena was flooded in 2010.

This 100%! As much as I have enjoyed my 2 trips to the Sudbury Arena and as much as I like some of the small quirks about the arena, it sucks compared to the many of the arenas in the league. Just in the last year alone, there were a couple of power outages and a flooding. Also from what I have heard, apparently the Burgess family is very tight with money when it comes to the team, but I can't officially confirm that. I hope Sudbury gets a beautiful new facility soon (like maybe something similar to what the Soo has).

As for other teams in the OHL, the only other team that I think really needs a new facility is Plymouth. Even though the rink was built in 1996, it was built very cheap and in only 6 months. The seating is beyond uncomfortable (no legroom mostly) and the building is showing it's age a bit more than it should.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

As discussed on Basically a Sports Show® (live Thursday nights at 10pm ET at twitch.tv/basicallysports), I believe the Rays need a new stadium badly. Watching baseball games going down at the Trop is similar to being forced to take a dump into a coffee can behind a shuttered Arbys.

I can't agree more. Have there been any talks for a new field?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

MLB:

Rays

A's

Blue Jays

Angels (They're not going to move to downtown LA, and if they did, there's no way another team moves to Anaheim.)

NFL:

Chargers

Raiders

Bills

Dolphins

Rams

NBA:

Bucks

Kings

Pelicans (maybe)

NHL:

Flames

Red Wings

Oilers (is the new arena official yet?)

Islanders (Barclay's is not the answer, Mr. Wang)

I can't agree more. Have there been any talks for a new field?

Yeah. The Rays wanted to build a new park with a retractable canopy. It was going to be on an old spring training stadium on the waterfront, but the money wasn't there, and the plan died quietly.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

St Petersburg is not going to let the Rays out of their lease to move to Tampa or any other area. They're stuck.

If by some miracle they do find a way to break their lease and leave their current stadium, then it'll be for another new market altogether, one that'll actually want them around. Because the good sports fans of Tampa Bay have made it abundantly clear that they don't.

MLB

Rays

Jays

A's

NFL

Raiders

Vikings*

49ers*

Rams

NHL

Islanders*

Red Wings