2013/14 International Football Thread

All I can say is what a payout Moyes is getting for being sacked with five years remaining on his contract.

A couple of papers have made mention of a clause in Moyes' contract limiting his payout if he was sacked in a season where Manchester United failed to qualify for the Champions League - he's looking at a single year apparently, rather than a payout for the full term of his contract.

That doesn't surprise me if that clause was written in the initial contract by United. The club probably wrote that in if this exact event would occur. And surprise surprise it did. It's like they knew this would happen :P

Now why didn't Mike Ashley get that written in Pardew's contract? The only reason why Pardew still has a job because Ashley can't afford to sack him and pay him out...

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can say is what a payout Moyes is getting for being sacked with five years remaining on his contract.

A couple of papers have made mention of a clause in Moyes' contract limiting his payout if he was sacked in a season where Manchester United failed to qualify for the Champions League - he's looking at a single year apparently, rather than a payout for the full term of his contract.

That doesn't surprise me if that clause was written in the initial contract by United. The club probably wrote that in if this exact event would occur. And surprise surprise it did. It's like they knew this would happen :P

Now why didn't Mike Ashley get that written in Pardew's contract? The only reason why Pardew still has a job because Ashley can't afford to sack him and pay him out...

With all of this in mind, it makes a whole lot of sense as to why this sacking came the game after United was officially eliminated from the running to qualify for the Champions League next year.

spacer.png

Back to the subject of the Champions League, today was a rough day for Chelsea, they lost Cech for the season for a dislocated shoulder, effectively ending their title hopes. As well as having Eto'o out for a period of time.

Also, Terry got injured but no one cares

Back to the subject of the Champions League, today was a rough day for Chelsea, they lost Cech for the season for a dislocated shoulder, effectively ending their title hopes. As well as having Eto'o out for a period of time.

Also, Terry got injured but no one cares

Plus there is a possiblity that they lost Terry for the next two matches (minimum) as well. But I'm sorry that Atletico v Chelsea match was ok but Chelsea parked the double decker bus in front of Cech/Swartzer. Atletico out shot Chelsea by a heavy margin, Atletico had 63% of the possession over the entire match, Chelsea barely got out of their own half to make any attempts on Courtois. Courtois barely worked up a sweat last night. On top of that, Chelsea players were pulling Atletico players down constantly by any means. Lampard should have been sent off for a second yellow card with an intentional handball (and no it didn't hit him in the chest...). Mourinho's Chelsea sides have only scored 1 goal in 5 UCL SF matches. With all the money Chelsea has spent in the last two transfer windows, they can't score a goal...atrocious. And Mourinho commented on Allardyce's playing 19 Century football during their match earlier this year when West Ham parked the bus. I'm sorry but Mourinho has parked the bus that numerous times this season (Atletico, Arsenal at the Emirates, Man Utd at the Bridge) but to him it's good tactics. Give me a break...that's 19 century football :P

Actually, the Victorians usually eschewed defence - the style of football played back then was very attack minded, loose 1-1-8 or 1-2-7 formations were the order of the day.

The next time West Ham play Chelsea they should adopt one of those formations. That'll teach Jose. ;)

Actually, the Victorians usually eschewed defence - the style of football played back then was very attack minded, loose 1-1-8 or 1-2-7 formations were the order of the day.

The next time West Ham play Chelsea they should adopt one of those formations. That'll teach Jose. ;)

Now that's something i would love to see. Unfortunately Allardyce doesn't have the guts nor the actual gall to try that.

Former Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova died today of throat cancer at the age of 45.

RIP and condolences to all involved and affected. Cancer sucks.

Wow...Cancer does suck. My father died of a rare pediatric cancer found in adults nine years ago. Plus my father-in-law and wife have had cancer in the past. RIP Tito and thank you for the tika taka :)

Well if Mourinho thought he was out of the Premier League title, that just proved today that they are still in the thick of it. Swartzer did get the job done for Chelsea. But on the European front I think Atletico will come out guns a blazing on Wednesday. Plus Chelsea has injuries (Cech and Terry), suspensions (Lampard and Miklele), and cup tied (Sallah and Matic). I think Atletico learned from their mistakes on last week (too many crosses) and will come will come with a different set of tactics. Mourinho can only park the double Decker bus so many times before it gets tipped over.

I won't give this season to Chelsea, Schwarzer is bound to mess up a couple of times since he hasn't really played in years. I think Liverpool will take their next two games and win the title, City will probably drop a couple of points somewhere.

Man City's last two games are at home vs. Villa and West Ham.

If there's hope for them to drop points, it will have to come next Saturday when they play at Goodison.

Liverpool finishes away to Crystal Palace and home to Newcastle, two highly winnable games.

Chelsea finishes home to Norwich and away at (likely to be) relegated Cardiff.

spacer.png

With the way the Prem has played out this season, I think all three contending clubs have a chance of dropping points. No matches are an easy three points anymore. Palace could be a thorn in the Reds side like against Chelsea and Cardiff might pull out a momentous victory v Man City in their last match in the Prem

Who knows who will take the title this year but the main thing is that Manchester United are NOT going to win any silverware this season and might not even qualify for Europa League. The footballing gods are smiling down on us supporters.

Archived