Major league quality minor league logos

nash61

The Amerks' atrocity only counts in the "so old we can't imagine replacing it" camp.

Which makes it "major league" in a way, doesn't it?

Here's my contribution to the thread:

4518.gif

4520.gif

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are we defining "major league quality"? Do we mean that the effort and methods utilized by the graphic designers creating the logos in question hewed to a high and exacting standard? Or, rather, do we mean that we could see the logos cited actually being utilized by a franchise operating in MLB, the NBA, the NFL, or the NHL? While I'd argue that the vast majority of the logos cited in this thread have been designed by professionals who are committed to producing top-quality marks, there are many that I don't believe a major-pro franchise would consider adopting.

My original criteria when i made this thread, was that the logo should fit into whatever the major league for that sport is. (NFL, NHL, NBA, etc)

Some good examples I have seen are the Danbury Whalers, the Ontario Reign, the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs, and the Brooklyn Cyclones.

Any one of those would fit in well with their respective major leagues.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Durham Bulls are one of the only teams I could take seriously in the MLB. To be quite honest, it's just "boring" enough to work. It seems like Minor league teams like going with unique names and looks because, it attracts people in. Why would anyone buy a hat from a team in Montgomery, if the team didn't have a talking biscuit on its cap!?

Although they're not technically "minor league," I've always loved the St. Paul Saints caps. I'd put them right up there with anybody in MLB.

SB659_lg.jpg

SB625_lg.jpg

Am I the only one bugged by the "t" going through the "P" rather than the "S"? It looks like it should be for Saints Pt rather than St. Paul.

Gary Southshore Railcats. It's tough to see the hat logo, RC as the laces of a baseball with a paw holding the ball. Big fan of the uniforms as well. I may get chastised for this post, but I'd take it over the Padres. I know many of you aren't fans of Lukas over at Uni Watch, but he has a pretty good article on these uniforms.

http://www.uni-watch.com/2011/08/25/the-story-behind-the-gary-railcats-2011-uniforms/

5912001027_3e0a64746e.jpg

6029262790_1416b94dfc_o.png

How are we defining "major league quality"? Do we mean that the effort and methods utilized by the graphic designers creating the logos in question hewed to a high and exacting standard? Or, rather, do we mean that we could see the logos cited actually being utilized by a franchise operating in MLB, the NBA, the NFL, or the NHL? While I'd argue that the vast majority of the logos cited in this thread have been designed by professionals who are committed to producing top-quality marks, there are many that I don't believe a major-pro franchise would consider adopting.

There are very few in this thread that fit into the established aesthetic of the major leagues (of course there are a few major league team's logos that don't fit into the established aesthetic either *cough*diamondbacks*cough*).

A lot of minor league logos are very well designed and executed perfectly. But what they're going for is just different. Major League logos shouldn't be cartoony or mascot heavy, while that style works brilliantly for some MiLB teams. There's also a difference in how caps are designed, scripts, etc.

A well designed Simon, Bosak, Radom, Plan B (though I'm not a fan of their recent work) minor league package may be far superior quality wise than some major league packages, yet not fit in with or belong at all in the major leagues.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived