The Official MLB Random Year Expansion! *Texas Rangers and POLL ADDED*

1stRound DraftPick

Random Expansion Poll  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a concept series that I will be doing periodically over the next few months.

Teams like the Boston Red Sox and Detroit Tigers have pretty vintage-looking uniforms. This can be attributed to their early establishment. Other teams, like Miami Marlins and Arizona Diamondbacks are the opposite, featuring more modernized looks.

Which brings us to the Official MLB Random Year Expansion!!! In this series, I will be randomizing the year of expansion of major league teams, and displaying how their jerseys would've looked IN that year. I can use any year from 1869 to present. The only rule is that the team nickname must remain the same.

I will be starting off with the American League, then going to the National League after. Teams will be posted by division, in no particular order.

If you are new to this thread, I suggest just scrolling though to see all of the jerseys, and feedback from other members. Otherwise, you can use the quick links to get straight to the jersey of your choice!

I hope you all enjoy!

American League Quick Links:

AL EAST: Baltimore Orioles 1997, Boston Red Sox 1978, New York Yankees 2005, Tampa Bay Rays 1905, Toronto Blue Jays 1942

AL CENTRAL: Chicago White Sox 1991, Cleveland Indians 2011, Detroit Tigers 2002, Kansas City Royals 1955, Minnesota Twins 1931

AL WEST: Houston Astros 2013, LA Angels of Anaheim 1948, Oakland Athletics 1870, Seattle Mariners 1913, Texas Rangers 1927

National League Quick Links:

NL EAST:

NL CENTRAL:

NL WEST: Arizona Diamondbacks 1982, Colorado Rockies 1973, Los Angeles Dodgers 1994, San Diego Padres TBA, San Francisco Giants TBA

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEW YORK YANKEES (since 2005)

Division: American League East

Colors: Red, Blue, White

Ballpark: New Yankee Stadium (would've opened 4 years earlier)

Era: Wildcard Era

The New York Yankees now have colors of the American Flag (which are slightly different colors than their current logo). Being a 2005 team, the teams colors are very representative of how patriotic New York City was around that time. The 'Yankees' script and numbers feature a black shadow to make it stand out a little. It features the United States flag on the sleeve (backwards for etiquette) as a reference to 9/11.

NewYorkYankees2000_zps5420b1ce.png

This is interesting, and it may not get alot of positive feedback, but I really like this idea. Alot of people aren't going to like the complete alteration of a 100+ year old franchise, but it makes for an interesting thread.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

This is interesting, and it may not get alot of positive feedback, but I really like this idea. Alot of people aren't going to like the complete alteration of a 100+ year old franchise, but it makes for an interesting thread.

Haha trust me, I am going for interest here. Once it gets going and more teams are uploaded, my hope is that it'll be a hot thread. I'm waiting for the criticism lol.

TORONTO BLUE JAYS (since 1942)

Colours: Sky Blue, White, Cream

Ballpark: Maple Leaf Stadium

Era: World War II Era

No, I am not talking about the Philadelphia Blue Jays from 1944 lol. This is how the Blue Jays would look had they started in the early 40's instead of the late 70's. I wanted to keep it simple looking. Used cream instead of white for the home jerseys. Only two jerseys here....alternates are not needed. I tried to get an oldies look to the blue jay logo. Overall I'm happy with how this turned out.

TorontoBlueJays1942_zpsb1b83b6d.png

I love the look of the jay's. It looks really great, and I think the yankees are an interesting decision, I kind of like it. I can't wait to see how the rest of the teams pan-out. This is a very interesting idea, and I can't wait to see what you do with the A's.

spacer.png

this is an awesome idea and i think you really nailed the Jays for that era. The yankees are solid and have a nationals feel which were designed about that time. the only thing I think is a bit off is the logo. I can't see a designer in recent years coming up with a spangled top hat, even with its significance. I almost think that with it being 2005 and in new york you would see a 9-11 tribute. Just ideas of course. Great work!

this is an awesome idea and i think you really nailed the Jays for that era. The yankees are solid and have a nationals feel which were designed about that time. the only thing I think is a bit off is the logo. I can't see a designer in recent years coming up with a spangled top hat, even with its significance. I almost think that with it being 2005 and in new york you would see a 9-11 tribute. Just ideas of course. Great work!

I had wanted to do a 9/11 tribute. I made an edit by adding an American Flag to the Yankees jersey. As for the logo, I felt that it should stay the same for the sake of this thread. The name "Yankees" wouldn't even be used today either, just like Indians, or any other nickname related to a group of peoples.

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated.

BALTIMORE ORIOLES (since 1997)

Colors: Orange, Yellow, Black, White

Ballpark: Camden Yards

Era: Wildcard Era

Ooooohhhh, I went there! The GRADIENT!! Orioles are generally orange or yellow or both, hence the gradient colors. The logo has been updated, and features a more modern font. The jerseys are a simplistic style. All jerseys only feature the word "ORIOLES"...no "Baltimore" here. The black alternate can be worn at home or on the road. It would've probably been worn more than the gray jerseys on the road.

BaltimoreOrioles1997_zps0421ae86.png

Archived