2014 Sochi Olympic hockey sweaters

Frankie

Can't post a pic, but on the blue jerseys the players are wearing, the numbers are where the stipes are in the official pic, and the arm stripes are moved down to whee normal arm stripes would be on a hockey jersey....definitely looks better.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been pretty outspoken in the ongoing NHL thread, so I hope I don't contradict myself.

I love what Nike has done for hockey jerseys. For some reason, I don't even mind the lack of a waist stripe in the US sweater; they obviously hearkened back to the first half of the 20th Century, and if nothing else, unlike RBK, there is design, creativity, purpose in these. Yes, they're pushing an agenda and trying a few things that certainly don't work, but the Nike hockey jerseys I've seen look like interesting modern takes of what a hockey jersey can be while RBK, on the other hand, is showing almost no creativity and feminizing the jersey with the tucked-in, thin-fit pajama party they have going on.

I'm feeling it. I have some misgivings with both the Ruskes and us, but they're unique. I dig what I've seen.

Can someone explain why they are allowed to use that crest as a logo? I am just not quite familiar with the logo policy for the Olympics

Olympic policy prohibits the teams from using their national federations' logos on their uniforms.

It's the same reason why the USWNT didn't have the USSF crest on their uniforms in London last year.

USWNT-XI.jpg

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

while RBK, on the other hand, is showing almost no creativity and feminizing the jersey with the tucked-in, thin-fit pajama party they have going on.

Do you watch NHL hockey ever?

Have you read an NHL thread on this forum since 2007?
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

while RBK, on the other hand, is showing almost no creativity and feminizing the jersey with the tucked-in, thin-fit pajama party they have going on.
Do you watch NHL hockey ever?
Have you read an NHL thread on this forum since 2007?

I sure love your negative/ sarcastic reply, buddy.

Yes, I watch hockey. Do YOU? Do you remember RBK's original template? They designed light-weight jerseys made to be tucked in, hence why all the waist striping was removed originally. It was only until the players basically revolted that they changed their ways.

They've managed to still ruin a lot of previously great designs by giving us crappy, empty templates with virtually no thought put into it. And to top it off, they removed the previously boxy hem in favor of something closer to the cut of a baseball jersey.

Yes, I watch hockey. Do YOU? Do you remember RBK's original template? They designed light-weight jerseys made to be tucked in, hence why all the waist striping was removed originally. It was only until the players basically revolted that they changed their ways.

They've managed to still ruin a lot of previously great designs by giving us crappy, empty templates with virtually no thought put into it. And to top it off, they removed the previously boxy hem in favor of something closer to the cut of a baseball jersey.

Yes, Reebok intended for the EDGE system to include tucked in jerseys, but that idea never saw the light of day, so I have no idea why you're holding it over their heads so.

Why people continuously blame Reebok and solely Reebok for the horrid designs in the NHL, I will never understand. Do you think team management have no say over what their team wears? Do you think that the entire process of jersey design rests solely on the shoulders of Reebok? They don't. Teams ultimately have the final say on how they want their jerseys to look, Reebok only obliges. Yes, Reebok had an agenda of rolling out their templates when the EDGE system was first introduced and wanted teams to adopt them, but no one was forcing team's hands. Either teams were lazy enough not to care and said to Reebok "Yeah, that looks good enough" or it was the team's actual choice to adopt to the EDGE templates.

Quit with the "Reebok is the Devil's spawn" because in the end, you should be blaming teams.

OttawaSenators.png

Can someone explain why they are allowed to use that crest as a logo? I am just not quite familiar with the logo policy for the Olympics

Olympic policy prohibits the teams from using their national federations' logos on their uniforms.

It's the same reason why the USWNT didn't have the USSF crest on their uniforms in London last year.

USWNT-XI.jpg

So is the new USA Hockey shield logo not a federation logo?

Yes, Reebok intended for the EDGE system to include tucked in jerseys, but that idea never saw the light of day, so I have no idea why you're holding it over their heads so.

Why people continuously blame Reebok and solely Reebok for the horrid designs in the NHL, I will never understand. Do you think team management have no say over what their team wears? Do you think that the entire process of jersey design rests solely on the shoulders of Reebok? They don't. Teams ultimately have the final say on how they want their jerseys to look, Reebok only obliges. Yes, Reebok had an agenda of rolling out their templates when the EDGE system was first introduced and wanted teams to adopt them, but no one was forcing team's hands. Either teams were lazy enough not to care and said to Reebok "Yeah, that looks good enough" or it was the team's actual choice to adopt to the EDGE templates.

Quit with the "Reebok is the Devil's spawn" because in the end, you should be blaming teams.

I've echoed the same thing you just spouted, brother. Teams absolutely should be held accountable. I'm in total agreement about everything you said, especially the "yeah, that looks good enough" idea. I'm sure that happened a lot.

I, for one, just fear the combo of RBK's lack of hockey familiarity and overall aesthetic mixed with hockey teams' lack of imagination. It's a recipe for disaster.

Overall, though, RBK (Gawd I hate the idea of a uniform system, so I will ding you on that) had an opportunity to move us toward a new way of looking at hockey jerseys. Besides being lighter weight, I don't know what they brought to the party.

Players/ fans/ teams ended up rejecting the tucked-in look; many re-did their jerseys over the past few years. Some teams, like my Rangers, even had their equipment managers etc. trying to sew additional material onto the jerseys to give them the old boxy square look...

So, in the end, if RBK's tenure as supplier ended tomorrow, what would their legacy be?

My answer: Not enough to make me think twice about allowing Nike into the mix.

Surprised nobody's mentioned those horrid collars with a horizontal bottom.

These are both awful. I would rant about how bad they are, but everyone's already gone over everything bad about them, so I won't bother. Also, considering the US's design was partly foreshadowed by the team equipment, perhaps the same can be said for Canada? This might be nothing, but on their ball hockey t-shirts, they wore a number font different from their standard:

canada-camp-ball-hockey-940.jpg

toews_olympic_jersey_lg.jpg

They probably just chose some random font for no particular reason, but you never know.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Exactly, I wouldn't read into it. Especially since those t-shirts and hats still have the Hockey Canada logo, which we know can't be on the official Olympic stuff.

You could read into it with the initial USA gear, because it was a different crest than the USA Hockey logo.

--

On the USA jerseys, they're fine. I still hate the Nike collars, and those rubber stars are really weird (although, I strangely like the faux lace-up here) and I'll probably have to see them in action before judging that element, but they're fine. Not super templated, not super out there like Russia. I also like the use of a full crest here compared to the way-too-high "USA" from Vancouver.

EDIT: And here's a closer look a the shoulders. Not at all what I thought based on that promo image. I'm not sure what to think of this part now...

Screen-Shot-2013-08-27-at-12.23.07-PM.pn

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Oh good...they have "hangar effects," what a unique concept. I thought the jerseys were terrible before, but now they're magnificent.

At least the Russians have the stones to put their championship tallies on the outside of the jerseys. We hide ours like we're ashamed of them.

What's with the fake lace ups!?!

"Nike Flywire reinforces the neck area while providing a closer fit to prevent slipping. The aesthetic also provides a nod to the traditional lace neck design."

Um, is everything on these jerseys screenprinted? The numbers, crest, even the swoosh - none of it looks sewn-on.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Um, is everything on these jerseys screenprinted? The numbers, crest, even the swoosh - none of it looks sewn-on.

"Lightweight premium letters and numbers shave off unnecessary weight."

Just wait until Joe Pavelski relays this information to the Sharks brass after camp...

Archived