So if there was an NFL minor league system how should it go?

Davidellias

So in the concepts thread i see a couple of people posting about minor league for the NFl. Unfourtianately I am not Graphically talented enough to do my thing (Yet). I figured i could start a discussion about it. I hope this isn't against any rules by posting this. :/ If I learn Photosjhop better, I'll surely be able to post this in concepts.

Anyway My idea would be a two team league with all the western most teams in one league and the eastern most in another. Unfourtianately since over half the teams in the NFL are in the EST it got a bit akward, but this is my concept

NFL Develpoment League East

Syracuse Thunder (BUF)

South Florida Surf (MIA)

Conneticut Colonials (NE)

Albany Giants (NYG)

Norfolk Sea Kings (BAL)

Coloumbous Aviators (CLV)

Kentucky Blues (CIN)

West Virginia Ironmen (PIT)

Delaware Talons (PHI)

New Jersy Barons (NYG)

Richmond Presidents (WAS)

South Carolina Falcons (ATL)

Raleigh Racers (CAR)

Orlando Suns (TB)

Lansing Lions (DET)

Panhandle Prowlers (JAX)

NFL Development League West

Louisville Stallions (IND)

San Antonio Lone Stars (HOU)

Birmingham Fire (TEN)

Utah Gold (DEN)

Omaha Pilots (KC)

Sacremento Raiders (OAK)

Las Vegas Pharoes (SD)

Rockford Hawks (CHI)

Wisconsin Engineers (GB)

Dakota Tribe (MIN)

New Mexico Roadrunners (ARZ)

Iowa Tornadoes (STL)

San Jose Matadors (SF)

Portland Monarchs (SEA)

So I'd like to see your guys opinions and see your idea's for leagues.

I hope this isn't against the rules. If it is tell me.

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Albany's team would be the Giants' farm team, not the Jets. One, the team used to practice at the State University of New York AT Albany, and most importantly, there are much more Giants fans in the area than Jets.

We can discuss the Capitals nickname later, since it was a soccer team's in the mid to late 80s.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

oooh I totally forgot that! :sleepy: I could change it.

We can discuss the Capitals nickname later, since it was a soccer team's in the mid to late 80s.

Hmm i could make a few of the teams I struggled with nicknames on, have the parent teams nickname! I think I'll edit that right now!

Also there were a few things I forgot to put in the OP.

South Carolina plays there games in Columbia, SC

Wisconsin plays there games in Madison, WI

Iowa Plays there games in Iowa City

West Virginia would likely play in Morgantown (or Huntingdon, WV Not sure what would work better), unless Charleston has a decent sized stadium.

Kentucky plays in Lexington, KY

Daktoa would play in Fargo,ND

New Mexico would play in Albuqureque, NM (SP?)

I guess I could swap the Giants and Jets teams.

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

I think the idea of how many teams/where they would play is the wrong place to start with this thread.

What needs to be discussed is just how the system would work and it's relationship to the NCAA and NFL. Get to it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think the idea of how many teams/where they would play is the wrong place to start with this thread.

What needs to be discussed is just how the system would work and it's relationship to the NCAA and NFL. Get to it.

What i cam up with is, split the leagues into two divisions (North / South) play them round robin (7 games) plus 3 against the other division, and two "interleague games" meaning that there are a totall of 12 games. Seasons starts on week 4 of the NFL, that gives at least a month to get the NFL "call downs" acclimated with the teams. Games are thursdays or sundays, to avoid conflicts.

Top two in each division get to the playoffs

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

If Minor League NFL ran at the same time as the NFL it would be a flop. It would have to be a Spring-time league. Nobody would watch it in the Fall with the NFL and NCAA going. Plus, there would not be enough players to field that many teams. Not trying to throw crap at your idea, I like it. 8 teams would probably be the max, and for each Minor League team, them representing a division would be best, in my opinion. Say Columbus fields a team for the AFC North, Orlando for the NFC South and so on. There does need to be another Spring-time outdoor league. The WLAF/NFLE was cool when it was around, as well was the USFL. XFL had a good idea on the basis of Spring-time, but everything else just sucked.

Having the teams being owned 1/4 by each NFL team, as well a centrally located big city within that division, I think could work out great.

The XFL was great on paper but some in the media could not wrap their heads around the fact Vince McMahon was behind it. They all believed it was going to be scripted like his matched, and therefore never gave it a chance.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

If Minor League NFL ran at the same time as the NFL it would be a flop. It would have to be a Spring-time league. Nobody would watch it in the Fall with the NFL and NCAA going. Plus, there would not be enough players to field that many teams. Not trying to throw crap at your idea, I like it. 8 teams would probably be the max, and for each Minor League team, them representing a division would be best, in my opinion. Say Columbus fields a team for the AFC North, Orlando for the NFC South and so on. There does need to be another Spring-time outdoor league. The WLAF/NFLE was cool when it was around, as well was the USFL. XFL had a good idea on the basis of Spring-time, but everything else just sucked.

Having the teams being owned 1/4 by each NFL team, as well a centrally located big city within that division, I think could work out great.

What's the point of having a minor league team if their season isn't running alongside the parent club's?

And, the point of having a minor league club is to get them ready for the parent club. How does that NFC South team find enough playing time for 4 QB's, 4-8 RB's, 8-16 WR's, etc. in four different offensive and defensive schemes?

Yeah, football doesn't really lend itself to developmental pyramids like baseball and hockey do. Basketball could make it work if they wanted to, which they basically don't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Except, as you've pointed out before with hockey and would be the case with football to, it's not like a minor league system would lend itself to being "where stars are born" or anything. The best players (or highest drafted) are going to play in the NFL straight away. Andrew Luck would never spend one day on a minor league team, just like Sidney Crosby never would, either.

Re: the NBDL, there's a reason why that league consists of absolutely nothing other than journeymen not deemed good enough to be a 12th man on an NBA active roster. And, in addition, why nobody cares about it.

spacer.png

Oh, I meant that the D-League could serve as an alternative or replacement to the NCAA if that's what the NBA wanted. In its current state, it's next to useless.

Just for kicks, I came up with some identities based off of the suggestion of each division putting their prospects on one team.

NFL 2 Eastern Division

(AFC North) Appalachia Miners (Charleston, WV)

(NFC East) Virginia Bucks (Virginia Beach, VA)

(AFC East) Atlantic City Mariners

(AFC South) Orlando Pythons

NFL 2 Western Division

(NFC North) Dakota Wolves (Fargo, ND)

(NFC West) San Antonio Marshals

(AFC West) Albuquerque Scorpions

(NFC South) Birmingham Rebels

Just for kicks, I came up with some identities based off of the suggestion of each division putting their prospects on one team.

Whoever suggested this should unsuggest it.

You can't share minor league teams. The team systems differ too much for that to be viable.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So in the concepts thread i see a couple of people posting about minor league for the NFl. Unfourtianately I am not Graphically talented enough to do my thing (Yet). I figured i could start a discussion about it. I hope this isn't against any rules by posting this. :/ If I learn Photosjhop better, I'll surely be able to post this in concepts.

Anyway My idea would be a two team league with all the western most teams in one league and the eastern most in another. Unfourtianately since over half the teams in the NFL are in the EST it got a bit akward, but this is my concept

Delaware Talons (PHI)

Las Vegas Pharoes (SD)

Portland Monarchs (SEA)

As states, Nevada, Delaware, and Montana each allow gambling on NFL games in various parts. Each of them are out immediately. Oregon is legally able to have it, but stopped it in 2007 in order to host NCAA games, specifically in the Rose Garden.

NJ could also be out if they win a Federal Court case which is pending.

South Carolina Falcons (ATL)

Raleigh Racers (CAR)

Columbia,SC is closer to Charlotte than it is to Atlanta by like 100 miles.

There is a city/town in Georgia who would want to host a minor league team.

Alright, take two:

NFC East: Virgina Bucks (WAS), Harrisburg Colonials (PHI), Albany Warriors (NYG), Fort Worth Outlaws (DAL)

NFC West: San Antonio Marshals (SEA), San Jose Condors (SF), Kansas Coyotes (STL), Scottsdale Vipers (ARZ)

NFC South: Birmingham Rebels (ATL), Raleigh Nighthawks (CAR), Shreveport Crawdads (NO), St. Pete Pirates (TB)

NFC North: Dakota Wolves (MIN), Kenosha Muskies (GB), Lansing Wheels (DET), Springfield Grizzlies (CHI) (or maybe Isotopes?)

AFC North: Appalachia Miners (PIT), Annapolis Owls (BAL), Kentucky Bobcats (CIN), Toledo Bulldogs (CLE)

AFC East: Atlantic City Mariners (NYJ), Bridgeport Colonials (NE), Rochester Reds (BUF), Orlando Pythons (MIA)

AFC West: Albuquerque Scorpions (KC), Aspen Mustangs (DEN), Santa Clara Sabres (OAK), Oceanside Lakers (SD)

AFC South: Evansville Colts (IND), Tallahassee Wildcats (JAX), Galveston Oilers (HOU), Chattanooga Blues (TEN)

Archived