Peyton Manning's awful Buick patch on practice jersey.

suns1977

I was watching SportsCenter this morning and Peyton Manning was being interviewed. He had a ginormous BUICK patch on his jersey.

Looks awful and out of place, but, what advertisement wouldn't.

According to this article, this started last year: http://southstandsdenver.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2278:peyton-manning-apparently-plays-for-the-denver-buicks&Itemid=150

Thank goodness Goodell hasn't allowed advertising patches on their game jerseys. I'd have to burn my eyeballs.

Buicks_zps2173624c.jpg

Ads have been on practice jerseys for a few years now. This is a good example of what is wrong with it though.

1. Is that a normal Buick font? Why didn't they add the symbol logo? Is it just so it could be more visible? (If so, it's very bland.)

2. The auto industry is one that actually contracts current players to appear in its advertisements. What if this were Aaron Rodgers, who is a spokesperson for Ford? Peyton Manning is also in some Buick ads so...

3. How much can you really advertise in such a small space? That's why you see AT&T, Gillette, and other companies that are already established. However, you can't say a tagline, or talk about a product. It's ineffective advertising, lest people watching a Broncos scrimmage actually go out and buy Buicks. If I were a billion dollar company, I would NEVER advertise on jerseys, mostly because you don't have enough room to say anything of consequence.

This is how it started in the CFL... first ads on practice jerseys, then a few years later on game jerseys. It will happen, mark my words. The space is too valuable and at some point the owners will ask themselves why they're turning down the money.

I know many people who read this post will vehemently deny that it will ever happen in the NFL because of tradition, honor, Dick Butkus, all that is sacred, etc. but they're just in denial. This Buick patch is the tip of the iceberg.

Somebody had to do it...

iversonpractice.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This is how it started in the CFL... first ads on practice jerseys, then a few years later on game jerseys. It will happen, mark my words. The space is too valuable and at some point the owners will ask themselves why they're turning down the money.

I know many people who read this post will vehemently deny that it will ever happen in the NFL because of tradition, honor, Dick Butkus, all that is sacred, etc. but they're just in denial. This Buick patch is the tip of the iceberg.

The thing about the CFL though is that it really needed the cash where the NFL doesn't. I would bet on seeing ads on the field before seeing them on the jerseys.

Funny...if it doesn't happen, I highly doubt you'll come on here and admit you were dead wrong...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The thing about the CFL though is that it really needed the cash where the NFL doesn't. I would bet on seeing ads on the field before seeing them on the jerseys.

True, the NFL doesn't need the cash. It's still money left on the table though. And sooner or later the league's going to, at the very least, seriously consider it.

True, the NFL doesn't need the cash. It's still money left on the table though. And sooner or later the league's going to, at the very least, seriously consider it.

Bingo. It's a pro league. The NFL exists, as all pro leagues do, as a business to make money. Provided they can work out the kinks like the ones number81 alluded to, they're going to do it.

There was a time when no one could have envisioned rinkboard advertising and then on-ice ads in the NHL, but money talks. Lord knows the EPL and La Liga aren't hard pressed for money, but they sure have conditioned the fans to accept huge ads splayed across the jerseys. Just a matter of time before it happens in the NFL.

Why have ads on practice jerseys if nobody hardly sees them? Kinda a waste of money if you ask me

Because you'll see them in interviews like the OP did today or in the daily news photos.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Why have ads on practice jerseys if nobody hardly sees them? Kinda a waste of money if you ask me

Because you'll see them in interviews like the OP did today or in the daily news photos.

Still a waste, plus it's like ads on YouTube or popups, it makes me as a consumer NOT want to buy that product

Still a waste, plus it's like ads on YouTube or popups, it makes me as a consumer NOT want to buy that product

Not everyone is like you. Part of advertising's goal is to not make you buy it, but make you remember it. From now on going forward, you will always remember Buick as the Broncos' advertiser.

An image, a jingle, a catchphrase are keys to getting people to at least remember a certain product. It may not make you wanna buy it, but it might for someone else

Go A's!

Archived