2020 Olympics Awarded to Tokyo

rams80

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/07/sport/world-olympics-2020/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

So anyway, the U.S. didn't have a bid city this year and there were a meh selection of final city choices (Madrid with its broke-ass country, Istanbul with its increasingly anti-Western populace, Tokyo with its corrupt politicians, faltering economy, and corrupt business-government partnerships and racism), so this was under the radar, but yeah Tokyo has been awarded the 2020 Olympics. I'm sure the graft potential was appealing to the IOC, while residents of the Tohoku region can savor in the knowledge that public capital will be pissed away on sporting palaces rather than rebuilding their part of the country following that tsunami back in 2011.

Also, we entered the Akira timeline without noticing, so there's that to look forward to.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not expecting much from the games logo, especially after the Pyeongchang logo. Looking at the logo timeline from the newsfeed from candidate logos to event logos, it goes:

Vancouver - Upgrade

London - Downgrade

Sochi - Downgrade (seriously, that logo looks nice)

Rio - Upgrade (the only one with two good logos)

Pyeongchang - Oh God

By this short pattern, the Tokyo event logo will be a downgrade from an already weak event logo.

Also, I just know that the mascots will be anime characters, why do they have to be freaking anime characters?

IMO it should've gone to Istanbul, Tokyo already had the games once (I think)

I don't think it is a good idea to host an Olympics in the middle-east....

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

You're talking about the region that once stopped a war to watch a soccer game...

You're talking about the region that once stopped a war to watch a soccer game...

Rams80: Istanbul with its increasingly anti-Western populace

Yeaaaaahhhhhhh

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Istanbul (As in the city of Istanbul) is actually on the European continent. Just because the country (Turkey) is a Middle Eastern country doesn't mean it's necessarily in the Middle East.

Also, if you think the Middle East is a bad place to host worldwide sporting events, than tell me why FIFA picked the country of Qatar over the US to host a World Cup.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Istanbul (As in the city of Istanbul) is actually on the European continent. Just because the country (Turkey) is a Middle Eastern country doesn't mean it's necessarily in the Middle East.

Also, if you think the Middle East is a bad place to host worldwide sporting events, than tell me why FIFA picked the country of Qatar over the US to host a World Cup.

Because Qatar's government flashed ALL THE CASH and FIFA is even more corrupt than the IOC.

And while Turkey has historically been a secular democracy, it's starting to tip a little towards the Islamic side of the spectrum. And yeah, riots.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is there a more unlucky Olympic bid city than Madrid? Maybe Paris?

Well it's not really a suprise that Madrid didn't get it, you know given the state of Spain's economy right now.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I didn't realize Spain's economy was bad. I was hoping they would get the 2020 Olympics. Part of the reason was their logo, especially the hidden M20 (Madrid '20). But the more serious reason was the potential Global conflicts. Turkey is already a stones throw away from Syria, which we all know is going on there. Also, with Tokyo, they aren't that far from the Koreas if my geography is right. Who knows what will be going on with them. They have been VERY quiet this summer, so we'll see hat happens, though this is all just under 7 years from the 2020 Olympics.

Onto a less serious, less politically involved question, will Pokémon play any role in these Olympics? :P lol

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Out of the three candidate cities, the most logical in my mind was Tokyo. Tokyo has almost all of the venues it needs to host the game already and they're going to give a $1 billion upgrade to the original Olympic Stadium. I am hoping that the games can return to North America for 2024, but if I had to make a prediction it will go to South Africa or Paris. All I am hoping for is a decent olympic logo instead of the trash we had last year.

mcbqza.jpg

Archived